Shad what kind - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Shad what kind

Seeing there has been some posting about shad, I thought I would put in my two cents.
Hickory Shad Alosa mediocris Range NS to Florida, they are andromous, size is up to 15 inches.
American Shad Alosa sapidissima Range fro Newfoundland to Northern Florida, andromous, size to about three feet, three to seven pounds. Food is Plankton. Eggs are deposited in the spring in upstream areas.
How many have caught the American Shad on a flyrod? I don't think they are considered A gamefish. They do however give a much better fight than the same size striper, especially when taken in a small river like the Palmer River in Rehoboth,Ma. The time is mid April to the end of May, or when the apple trees blossom. They come in on a rising tide in early morning or at dusk at night. Right in with the herring.When they come into shallow water you will some times see their wake, they are extremely fast. They sometimes jump, and sound like someone through a rock in the water. They like to spawn on a gravel bed.They come in on a rising tide. They can be caught when they are resting, usually in the deepest part of some of the upstream pools. Flies need to be slowly retrieved near the bottom. I usually use a fly that has a short red wing, and a silver body, and I use three beads on the leader, red, white, red, combination . Try fishing for the American Shad you might get addicited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Have only caught one on a fly and it was a blast

Art,

I have only caught one American shad on a fly and that was on the Merrimack River right up by the Essex Dam. Caught it on a small sz. 2 chartreuse clouser and this particular fish fought a lot better than a small schoolie - the shad was about 18". I thought that I had a decent striper on for a little bit.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:29 PM
joe

Send a message via ICQ to joe Cecchini Send a message via AIM to joe Cecchini
I consider them a game fish!

The American shad come in early at the Ocean City inlet here on the eastern shore of Maryland, usually around the middle of February before most of the other game fish arrive. They are excellent sport on a 4 Wt. rod and when the current is't too bad i'll get out my 2 wt and then they are very fun to catch. Having caught both Schooley stripers and American shad on the 2 wt. I think the stripers take longer to wear out then the shad but any 20 inch fish on a on a 2 wt is fun! I catch the most Shad on these #6 of #8 florescent orange/chartreuse squid flies that I Tie using Wal-Mart glow in the dark fabric paint. Most fly fishermen I come across here at the inlet are fishing for stripers/bluefish/sea trout with their 9 or 10 wt. rods and catch shad unintentionally and can't really appreciate how hard they fight. I think most saltwater fly fishermen should lighten up! Once you start catching shad/stripers sea trout/flounder on a 4 or 6 weight rod I guarantee you will be totally addicted as I am. Yes sometimes you will hook into something far bigger than a 20 incher but that's part of the fun! I tell most flyfisherman who use very light weight rods for large fish to use PowerPro 2-10 instead of 20 pound backing even the tiniest fly reels will hold at least 150 yards and don't use very expensive rods because they sometimes ahh.. break. Of course there will be times when the wind in current will force you to use a heavier rod but when the weather is good break out your 4 weight! Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	4379  
Old 01-24-2005, 02:39 PM

Joe, Very nice selection of flies. Up here in New England there is not very many rivers that have a good run of shad. Most rivers around here that have shad are small, maybe 20 feet across in their upper reaches. Four to six weight rods would be fine, I think a two weight would be to light as there is a lot of snags, in them, especially the Palmer River, the North River pools are a little more open.
I looked it up in IGFA Gamefish Book, and it is listed as a gamefish. American Shad have been caught as large as 20 lbs. I have only seen them up to about seven lbs. Thanks for posting your flies, I only have one pattern which I have used for about 60 years.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:21 AM

Welcome to the Forum Joe. Nice looking flies.
FishHawk
Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Fishing the tub last spring clave I hooked some thing that did not seem like a school bass, when I landed it it turned out to be about a four pound american shad. I have caught them in the ct. river but I was fishing for them,it was quite a surprise to hook one in the tub. It made a good run but was no match for a 10 weight and a 350 grain sink tip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.