Testing new digital camera - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
LBFF Mojo

Testing new digital camera

Just got an optio 33WR for fishing trips and the macro rocks. This is the first photo taken with it and still need to play around with the settings but so far it is 1000% better than my canon elf and I can get it wet!

This is a ratty old fly that has been fished a little but is a variation on my go to 'rhea' pattern. Tied in shrimp style with 2 different colors of mini rhea palmered on as the body segments. Looks delicious in the water and this was tied on a tube sometime last year.

You can kinda get the idea with this one but it is really not a great tie. It only takes 5-10 minutes a fly and I do not mind losing them to snags. Will tie up some better ones and get them up on the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fly.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4343  

Last edited by sean; 01-18-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 06:22 PM

I really like that fly. When you post the other flies will you also post tying instructions? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 AM

Sean,

This new digital camera is water proof? It does take a good picture.

Charlie.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 PM
LBFF Mojo

I will note that this picture was taking at night without good light and the flash on.

Have been messing around with it and the macro pictures are really outstanding compared to the canons I have owned in the past.

Speydoc uses this camera for his photos on the site which is what got me interested as they have such great detail. They have a 43WR now that is 4.3 megapixels but I stuck with the 3.3 megapiel one as you can pick them up for ~200 on ebay brand new. Really do not need that extra megapixel for fishing pics.

It is rated as water resistent so you can get it rained on , muddy,etc and just wipe it off. They also say it can be submerged for 30 minutes with no ill affects. I wouldn't go do that but this camera could take an accidental river dunking and keep on ticking. It is also salt resistent so no worries about using it in the harsh saltwater environment.

Camera fits in the palm of your hand and the controls are easy to manipulate with just one hand. Not like those bulky waterproof housings you can buy for other cameras.

Nice camera and a great option for those of us he spend alot of time in the northwest rain searching for steel. Have not seen anything that comes close to this camera as to all around functionality as well as being safe to use in a water environment. Just put it around your neck and go fishing!

-sean
Old 01-19-2005, 09:20 PM

Sean
Nice bug! - it is nice to see other people posting rhea flies, I truely believe that for westcoast steelheading that this material is hard to beat.
The Pentax Optio WR 33 and 43 are very user friendly cameras and I cannot say enough about my 33 - I get beatifull 8" by 10" enlargements on my fishing photos, even when shot in relatively low light rainy conditions ( in addition to the great macro shots that I have posted on this forum)
speydoc
Old 01-19-2005, 11:22 PM

That optio looks like the one for me. I've been scoping them out for a while now, Pete Gray (saltwater forum) gets excellent results at the vice and on the boat with the 43. I can't really see much of a difference with the 33, looks great.

Here's a site I found in my searches http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html

The reviews for the optio are great, you really get a feel for the controls.
The only drawback is that you cannot attach filters. The software macro seems to work fine but I would like to use a polarizing filter to get below the surface film.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM

If someone mentioned this above, excuse the duplication.

Pentax is introducing the OptioWP in March 2005. This camera is waterproof -- not water resistant -- down to 5 feet for 30 minutes. It has 5-mp resolution and has been getting some excellent early reviews. MSRP is $399 US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.