Sinking lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to tglynos
Sinking lines

I was am trying to expand my gear during the offseason and was looking for some advice from the experts. I have a temple fork 9wt matched with a lamson velocity reel and airflo clear intermediate line. I am going to buy a second spool and want to put a sinking line onto the second spool. Does anyone have suggestions regarding sink rate and brand that they are happy with? Thanks,
Triston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 04:57 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Rio Striper...

300 grain for a 9wt. I have used this line for the last couple of seasons and have been satisfied with the results. It has an intermediate running line, and turns over 1/0 and smaller flies well without the "dump factor" associated with other 26 foot sinktips.

Simms
Old 01-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Jonesin...

JimS,

When you referring to the "dump factor" did you have the Airflow Depth Finder line in mind? I got that line late last year at the recommendation of a local shop and for the life of me I couldn't get a nice loop. I tried varying the length of line outside the tip from just the head to 50 ft. Varied the speed of the stroke. Still nothing but a sloppy mess at the end. I think the head on it might be only 22'. I was Albie fishing with it for the most part so all the flies were small. Never gave it a shot with some monster flies but I can see how that might have helped.

Sean
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 PM

hi triston, i have a tfo 9 wt., and i find that you can overline them a little. i throw a 350 grain line. it also depends on what you want to fish for, and where you're fishing. i also use an intermediate line on that rod a lot, and it is the 10 wt. SA striper line, which i really like and throws great with the tfo. if you could give a little more info, maybe we could narrow it down.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 PM

ps--sorry, the sinker is also an SA line--you can usually grab some decent sinking lines cheap, online... i use them a lot when the stripers are deep or the bluefish are way under the schools of bunker.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:28 AM

I have had a different experience with the AirFlo Depth Finder line. I put a 400 grain line on my Sage 9wt and it's a cannon. Juro cast my rod at one of the Casting Caves, you should see what he did with that line. One flase cast and he cast the whole line into the backing across the gym. It has worked for me. I do not have any problems with the "dump factor".
FishHawk
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 AM

The specific weight that throws best with your rod will depend on your casting style and that blank. Never thrown with a TFO so can't comment specifically.
I have a 425 on a 9 wt sage and it's a great combination.

You might want to check out Cortland QD series. I don't think much of their intermediate lines but their sinking lines cast great.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Middle Aged Member

I have the 444 and 555 QD lines in 300, 325, 350 and 425 gr heads. I really like the 300 gr 555 QD. Works great with a 9 or 10 wgt. I've heard some complaints about the 555 running line being too slippery but that hasn't bothered me. The 555's have a 30 foot head vs 24 ft for the 444's.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Dumping...

Sean, here is my take on this problem with shooting heads/sinktips. Heads less than 26 feet in length do not dissipate energy as well as longer sinktips. If one does use a short sinktip you can reduce the amount of generated energy by opening up the loop and slowing down the forward stroke.

Simms
Old 01-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to tglynos
Thank you all for your responses. I am interested in full lines vs sinking tips. Mostly surf casting and flats casting for stripers, blues, albies, weak fish, etc. My current casting style is badly, but working on it. In regards to overlining, I currently am overlining with my airlfo intermediate, so I figured that I could overline if I wanted to, but I haven't decided. I think my best bet may be to try casting a few different weights next weekend at the Somerset Fly Show(NJ) and see which I like best, but now I have a good idea on what to look for. thanks again, and if you have any more suggestions please let me know,
Triston

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.