Monomoy Refuge Meeting- Confirmed-3/22 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
President of CAC

Monomoy Refuge Meeting- Confirmed-3/22

I just confirmed the refuge meeting at 2PM on March 22, at the refuge. between our board , RT and FFSW, we will have between 15 and 20 and that's the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Fly chucker

John- Is there any sort of form letter or petition that those of us who can't be there can sign as a show of support?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
President of CAC

Mark. I don't think we need to do that for this kind of meeting. The decision has been made to include fishermen in the CCP process...so that's not an issue. So, the petion you suggest could only be to support the fact that we are included... and we are... so My thinking is that if and when specific issues arise that effect fishermen the process of obtaining signature would definitly be employed. I am also waiting to hear back about being appointed to Board of Directors of 'The Friends of Monomoy"... so that we also are involved with that group. let me know if you have any specifics that you would want me to raise at the meeting... This is "sort of" a CCP process which will be explained by the Feds... and how we , as a group , will participate going forward.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:11 AM
resigned

John. I would love to go but I will be on the River Hoh! Please keep us informed and thanks for your devoted attention to this matter.

Phil
Old 03-01-2005, 09:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Funds

How will Friends of Monomy be funded or is it a volunteer group looking out for us? If you need some $$ let us know. Can't give a lot but I'll help as I can.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John -

I will be in Acklins, otherwise would be all over this.

Please let us know how we can make our voice heard even when not able to attend.

To all members:

The forum is made available free for all to enjoy... but there is a price - we ask for participation where our numbers can make a difference. I hope we as a group can count on all members to take a minute for these types of causes, whether it be by email or in person.

It's the most important thing this group can do... be heard for the causes that we care enough about. If not anglers, then who will?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 PM
President of CAC

After the meeting I will definitly give a report on "how" we will be persieved from this first meeting since there are no issues on Perry desk right now...He will explain the CCP process and then we will know how we can follow up... I would propose that aafter this meeting we prepare a "white Paper' sort of about all the issued that face the fishermen.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Squire animal

Don't forget to mention anglers travelling across the pond to fish Monomoy... It's all tourist $'s to the U.S.A
Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Just a reminder tomorrow is the 22nd

Just a reminder for those who can attend tomorrow is the meeting at the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge pertaining to flyfishing and the CCP.

Meeting time is 2:00.

See you there.

Capt Keith

On another meeting note

First Public meeting will beheld April 5th 11 am at the town Library and 7 pm at the High School. General meeting on the CCP as a whole.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:58 PM

For those of you attending tomorrow's meeting, after an hour of surfing the web, I found a 2 page document that lists the current identified "issues" for the upcoming comprehensive conservation plan. To be prepared, I suggest that anyone attending get on the following site and download the 2 page document.
http://monomoy.fws.gov/issues.htm
Ron
Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Squire animal

How did it go?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 AM
President of CAC

It went well... I have matters to take care of here at home and must leave any detailed reports to others who attended...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:09 AM

John, I will attempt to summarize the meeting in your absense....Fishhawk, Penguin, others, please comment if I didn't get everything and or am innacurrate somewhere.
Summary:
-We met as a focusgroup of fishermen (reps from this forum, others, spin and surf fishermen as well) on 3/22/05 with Bill Perry and his Refuge staff/team. Approx. 15 to 20 fishermen and Keith were in attendance.
- Mr. Perry thoroughly explained the CCP process and that he is and has been in the process of meeting with various interest groups, gathering their questions/concerns/info. (more to follow below). I my opinion, Mr. Perry appears to be a very objective professional and is one who will consider objectively all input, from all sources and he and his team will assess data as it relates to the mission of the refuge.(see below)
- the CCP will take 3 to 5 years to complete, upon completion a draft of his report will go to Washington for review and approval and then be submitted in draft form to the public for review and comment, including the public opportunity for provision of alternative corrective actions (when and where necessary) to the Dept. for consideration
- The CCP process covers Morris, N. Monomoy,S.Monomoy, not South Beach (yet).
South Beach, in it's present form is under another agency that prioritizes public recreational use, enviroment a close second. Should SB and S.Monomoy merge geographically, SB would then most likely be considered to be under the Monomoy Refuge umbrella.
- Until the completion of the CCP process, all that is, remains the same (status quo) re use/rights/privilages
- the "charter" of the Monomoy Refuge system is to promote and "protect wildlife and all that supports it" (eco-system)....thus fishermen, clammers, birders, hikers etc are considered secondary. Their impact on the refuge is continually evaluated.
- there is no intent by the agency to deny/restrict "supportive recreational uses" in the future....however the CCP process has to identify the "footprint" these recreational uses have on the wildlife etc and develop corrective action alternative recommendations if and as necessary. The Dept supports continual recreational usages that are in concert/compliant with the charter of the refuge....they want us to fish, birders to watch etc
- we asked as a group if fishermen have violated any of the "rules"....the response was that "it was rare in occurance"..."a few bad apples have a negative impact on others". Citations have occured from other users as well. It was pointed out that even one stepped on nest of bird eggs, as an example, by any type of user, result in a report to Washington, with an impact statement. The refuge staff shared that they were very low on staff to monitor/police the refuge. We as a group offered suggestions: self policing (a # to call if we see a violation); improved signs with mandatory big fines for violations; education of the rules to newbies.....our support was welcomed by the Refuge staff. Boaters landing and letting kids off to jump off the dunes were also mentioned. It was clear that these violations are important, even if it was just one occurance, it has a negative impact of recreational use rights and priviledges for any group.
- we asked about any concerns of other interest groups. It was acknowledged that "neighbors" are concerned about traffic to the refuge. The officials noted that there were just over 100,000 visitors to the refuge last year (I don't think there are that many of us :-) ) Of course the ferry issue was discussed and again complaints by neighbors were related to traffic.....it was also stated by refuge officials that the private road leading to the refuge has a lifetime right away for public use to and from the refuge.....so, why am I confused????? The Government Refuge system desires and encourages use by the public, has built a facility for the public, has lifetime right away road access for the public to the refuge, and likes that over 100,000 of the public has visited.
This sort of reminds me of a person who built a $500,000 home next to a pig farm that was there for over 200 years and is now petitioning the town to remove the pig farm because the air stinks!
Note....we asked if any other complaints were received from neighbors.....the answer, not one complaint re noise, litter, tresspassing, damage etc......just our's and others' existance! Damn us fishermen, those birders, clammers, photographers, hikers!!!!
Note: it was acknowledged that the ferry at Morris does bring in financial support to the Friends of Monomoy as well as the refuge.
- we concluded as a group that we need to be organized and be viewed as a group....not single fishermen voicing a singular opinion...we need, as can other vested interest groups, to have a clearly recognized voice in this process. It is not that we were not heard yesterday....but there a public meeting coming up that will have groups heard and all input will be considered in the CCP process....we need our to be considered!
- Mr. Perry explained that in the up coming public hearings , the following format will be utilized: a) explaination of the CCP process; b) identification of issues; c) breakup into "mixed" interest groups to discuss concerns and potention solutions. Last time this process happened.....it was reported that the Chatham gym was overfilled....so let's see....20 to 30 mixed interest groups...3 fishermen show up.......................not a good senario!!!!!!!!!
That's it for me, my memory is now empty...hope this has been helpful. others....please add/delete/correct as necessary.
Ron
PS: John...best wishes for successful resolution home home matters
Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM

My apologies for the typos...but this was my second attempt writing this post...the first time, after a hour of organizing and writing, I went to review the post prior to submitting it and the whole thing disappeared fronm the screen. I was not going to chance it again!!
Ron
Old 03-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The Government Refuge system desires and encourages use by the public, has built a facility for the public, has lifetime right away road access for the public to the refuge, and likes that over 100,000 of the public has visited.
This sort of reminds me of a person who built a $500,000 home next to a pig farm that was there for over 200 years and is now petitioning the town to remove the pig farm because the air stinks!

That's the bit I wanted to see!

re the amount of people turning up at a meeting - You guys are representing many other anglers who may not be able to make the meeting, for one reason or another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.