I haven't lost a single gaitor since... - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2001, 05:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I haven't lost a single gaitor since...

Losing gaitors in the surf or river was a common occurrence for me. I know I was not alone because I would find as many as I lost, keeping an average of 6 in my possession thru the course of a season.

I have not lost a single one, and have negligible amounts of sand in my boots since I adopted a very simple technique... a duct tape keeper!

Starting with the fashion ignorant gray standard, I have eventually upgraded to black duct tape to match my black scuba boots and black neoprene gaitors. After a remark on my lack of GQ by Lefty, I had to color coordinate. Can't even tell they're there now.

Black is easy to find. When I bought the roll, the guy at the HW store showed me the camo duct tape he says is a must for hunters. Not all that uncommon for sportsmen at all according to him. Anyway, anything over 1.5 wraps will not come off even after a full day of wading in the Nauset surf.

I usually keep the last 10 feet of the roll in the back compartment of my chest pack in case I need to swim with my waders on. I figure sealing the top of my waders could save my life someday.

Maybe that's why mountain climbers call it "Jesus on a roll".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2001, 08:14 PM
President of CAC

Atta boy Juro.... Duck tape!... Well as Red Green says, "If the women don't find you handsome, then they sure will find you handy". ;-)
Old 11-12-2001, 09:56 PM

It also works well on tears in waders. Just take it off at the end of the day or the adhesive residue will be there for a long time.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:59 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
..."Starting with the fashion ignorant gray standard"...
I resemble that remark!
Old 11-12-2001, 11:28 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I have all but given up on gravel guards...it became almost a daily occurence to be watching my line swing in and then suddenly see black neoprene floating downstream.

It adds up after a while...

I have been in search of those ones you pull over your boot. They are just sewn together to form one whole gravel guard that you just pull over your boot and up and onto your ankle.

Anyone seen those around?

I might have to try the duct tape though, sounds like a great idea.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:35 AM

In my experience the pull over kind don't work worth a darn - at least in the sand. To make them work I had to duct tape the top and the bottoms - I might as well forgo the gaitors and just use the duct tape.

Gregg
Old 11-13-2001, 09:42 AM

Sparky, on a beach my experience matches that of Hawkeyes. Otherwise, I haven't had a problem with the pull on ones. Mine came with a pair of Hodgman waders long ago. If you cant find them, I think you could cut your own out of an old pair of waders.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The solid gravel guards are very handy for use as rod tube straps - I put three or four metal rod tubes together and pull the gaitors over them and they are just perfect for carry on. In fact one of the tubes is a Loomis IMX with handle and I carry it with that while the other Sage tubes flank the middle tube.

For river wading a pair of socks over the waders (on the outside) between the feet and the boots are usually enough. This trick extends your wader life by years too. Of course a pair of gaitors over that is the ultimate.

In sand, surf, salt just the socks don't cut it - the ankle must be sealed off because of the fine suspended sand. The socks may still extend wader life but once you go to the extreme of color-coordinated duct tape you don't get enough inside the boot for it to matter.

This all depends on whether you use a gussetted boot - if you are wearing a boot with vent holes or is unsealed fine sand will accumulate in the boots regardless. A good test is to fill the boot with water - if the water can get out then it's not a good boot for the surf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.