Gudebrod thread - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 08:44 PM

Gudebrod thread

Just looking for a few opinions. I have always sworn by Danville 6/0, waxed or unwaxed (lays flat etc.). Hate unithread (hard to untwist). I have never tied with gudebrod (except rods) and would like to here what those who have/do tie with it think.
Thanks Ramsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 PM

I like it, but do find that it frays rather easily. It does, IMO, lay flatter than Danville 6/0, but I have to be careful not to put too much tension on the thread or it will fray.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:38 PM

I tie with both the 8/0 & 10/0 and realy like both, so much so that they have replaced Unithread for me - I found the fibres of the 6/0 Gudebrod seemed to separate and fray to much (I find 6/0 too thick for most of my tying anyway)
My 0.02 cents worth.
speydoc
Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Pullin' Thread

I used the Gudebrod when it first came out with those long spools that required a special bobbin, which is why I quit using it (to be fair, Gudebrod has been putting it on regular size spools for a few years now so it could be used with regular bobbins). I liked the 8/0 and didn't like the 6/0 because it is a little thicker than the Daville 6/0 (which is really 7/0) and was prone to getting little frays in it. I have never used the 10/0.

In uni-thread, I like the 8/0 because it is fairly strong and it can be untwisted, unlike the uni-thread 6/0.

Wapsi also markets a very nice thread in 8/0. They call it 70 denier ultra thread, and it is a very nice thread that has nearly zero twist on the spool. Very easy to take the small twist out of it for tying with flat thread.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the input guys. After hearing what you said I think I will stay with the tried and true.
Ramsay
Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Is your Unithread waxed, or unwaxed? The unwaxed version untwists as easy as, or easier than any of them, and because the stuff is so strong, wax is redundant anyway, and keeps the head cement from sinking in.
I've tied with most of them, except the ones below 6/0...I have no need for 8/0, 10/0, or 12/0, and I found Uni was the best for what I'm doing.
I no longer tie in black. I can't easily see black thread any more, so I bought 5 cones of 20.000 meters* each of 6/0 Uni in brown, orange, claret, red, and purple.
Works for me..... your mileage may vary.

*The price for all 5 cones was less than the retail equivalent of one cone (100 spools) at retail...so it's a good deal. I use one meter of thread per fly.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Duke of Furl

Send a message via Yahoo to Don Johnson
Gudebrod

Gudebrod has always been available on regular spools in addition to the now-discontinued, elongated monstrosities. At one point in recent history, there were complaints that even the regular spools didn't fit all bobbins, the Rite Bobbin to be exact, and so Gudebrod has switched to a newer spool that should suffice for about any standard bobbin available.

I have a limited supply of threads but if any would like to try a sample, drop me an email and what diameter you'd like and I'll see what I can do.

As for the fraying of the 6/0, I too have noticed this but only in black. In my opinion it was almost as if those particular spools of thread were unwaxed but have also noticed that there is a shelf-life with the polyester threads, at least for the portion of the thread that is exposed to the air and/or sunlight. The oxidization and/or degradation that can occur in these long polymers as a result of long periods of exposure to air and UV can noticeably weaken the thread.

Size for size, Gudebrod is smaller in diameter and stronger than Uni and, because it's not a simple rope twist, it flattens nicely. There are others that do too such as Danville's and Sue Burgess...if that's even available anymore. Unfortunately I don't know what the diameter and breaking strength for the others are; just Uni and Gudebrod.

Size breaking strength (lbs./oz) diameter
GUDEBROD
G 3/11 3.5
3/0 2/6 2.5
6/0 1/15 2.3
8/0 0/15 1.8
10/0 0/9 1.0

UNI
3/0 2/1 3.2
6/0 1/13 2.9
8/0 0/15 2.0
10/0 N/A

I believe the diameter in is thousanth's of an inch; the chart I have is a photocopy and that column header didn't copy well as it is very black and almost unreadable. Regardless, the same units were used for both brands so we are comparing apples to apples.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.