loomis synchrotech? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 09:24 PM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
Wink loomis synchrotech?

I'm shopping around for a NICE saltwater reel and was wondering what if any things everyone has to say about the gloomis Synchrotech reels? My local retailer does not carry this reel so i havent had the chance to 'play' with one to determine the characteristics of its design. I am lookin at mathcing it to an 8 wt so either the gl6,7,8 or the gl8,9,10

and while we're on it. I dont want to hear about Abel, but I do welcome comments on lamson, TiBOR, and Ross as i am lookin at possibilities from these guys as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 12:46 PM

From your list I can only address some short history w the Lamson litespeed. I picked up a litespeed 2.5 this past fall, and really like it. It is incredibly light, and extremely smoothe, and salt water worthy, which was a necessity. I used it on my 5 & 6 wgt rods. Delicate enough for sipping trout on light tippets on the Yakima, and worked great for slashing steelhead takes with screaming runs on a dry in the Methow.

I researched a lot of other reels, including those on your list (except gloomis). I have read some knocks by a couple on this forum on the litespeed, and what finally did it for me was talking to several of the guides at the local flyshop, one that I have taken casting lessons with before, and both have used the litespeed for years and love it, couldn't say enough good things about it, without any of the problems mentioned on the forum. I liked it enough that I just bought a 4.0 litespeed to upgrade for my salmon sticks and a beach rod I am buying soon. Hope that helps ya, good luck.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:07 AM

just wondering...why not Abel? Also, what reels does your local shop carry?
I don't think that the synchrotech is in the same league as Tibor (Abel is), but on par with Ross.
It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you are fishing for. If you could give us a little more detail, that would help.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:20 AM

You might want to look at a Bauer McKenzie Superlight too. Saltwater proven and in the same price class with ross. Once you make the Jump to Abel/Tibor, you are movin' on up to the $$$$ bracket.

You might want to search the form for those reels to see what experiences others have had with Ross, Lamson. SW is tough on reels...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:34 AM

What is it (other than the price) that make the Abel and Tibor so much better. I'm not arguing the point, the fact is I don't know and I am curious. Do they have a better finish, or higher quality alloy blanks, quality control? Seems that with modern cad/cam and milling machines everyone should be on par in the design and manufacturing side of things. I mean come on this is not the space shuttle, not a whole lot of moving parts.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:04 AM

Jim, I agree with you....

But when is the last time you heard of an Abel or Tibor corroding or breaking down on the job? Can't say the same for Lamson/Ross.

Performance wise, I don't see that big of a difference provided the above mentioned reels are in perfect working order...but that's the catch. The "Big 2" have a reputation for running like a clock year after year where others fail.

Abel/Tibor are also seriously overbuilt...there is definitely a difference in quality IMHO.

Last edited by BigDave; 01-13-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 AM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
a

You asked so i deliver,
Reasons i dont like Abel:

The reels abel puts out are A) overpriced(i know theyre made in the usa) B)more significantly The big game and the Super Series reels are very poorly designed in my opinion. The spool sits too loosely on the post when you have the drag on the lighter settings allowing for side to side 'wobbling'on the post. Also the way in which you detach the spool is ridiculously tedious for the money you are spending. The screw holding the whole thing together is about the size of a rice grain. I could NEVER imagine successfully changing spools on a boat somewhere that is rocking up and down without loosing the damn screw.(which im sure steve would charge me 50 bucks to replace)
the reels are pretty and im sure they perform well but they are not for me.

The Ross Big Game reels have a beautifully designed spool release 'knob' as do some other reels out there from other companies and i suppose other than performance i am wondering what type of spool connection the synchrotech has. Also, having not had one, do cork drag discs need any extra special care?

oh yeah and my local shop has Abel, Ross, Orvis, and loomis venture(they can order the synchrotech if i decide i want one) pretty limited in some ways

Last edited by TheSeph; 01-13-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:21 PM

got it, Abel is not for you. Tibor shares with Abel most of your concerns, but they have introduced a new reel this year (that I have not seen one yet). It might seem a little pricey compared to the Ross and Synchrotech.
What are you fishing for?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:36 PM

You might want to check out Sage and Old Florida reels too...
Old 01-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Dave, good point. I guess if they are able (I'm so funny) to keeps some of the important parts dry then it's better. What about the finish? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was a better anodization than many products. I'll bet I can still scratch it it I drop it in a crevace of a jetty though.
Eddie, Your point is well taken too. They are just not for me, at least not in my current budget.

I think something else to consider is will the company you bought the reel with the lifetime warranty be in biz 15 years from now. There are a Lot of manufacturers out there now and I think many of them won't be around in 10yrs.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 PM

To consider

Pate and Old Florida along with the reels already mentioned. The pate makes it even more interesting to change spools, but then if you are using a reasonable head system, why would you want to?

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 01-13-2005, 09:01 PM

it really depends on what you are fishing for, and how much you want to spend. People have caught tarpon and sailfish on pfluger reels. that could be fun, but maybe you would rather have a nicer reel. a striper, snook, , baby tarpon or redfish really does not demand much more than a dependable reel. A tarpon, bonefish, permit or little tunny demands a drag that can sustain long runs and keep it together.
A Ross or Lightspeed/Lamson could work. I have fished with both quite a bit and think thay are fine reels. I have not fished with the Synchrotech.
One thing I can say for sure, if you had an Abel or Tibor, and all of the other reels mentioned, You would pick up the Abel/Tibor over the others when fishing for the hard chargers. Everytime.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am going with the LOOP HD Evotecs this year for my guiding and personal use as finances allow. There are many great reels out there, enough to appeal to all tastes and needs. The HD puts the whole package together for me in terms of appearance, performance, etc. yes, they are very pricey but worth it.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 01-14-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:29 AM

So the Abel and Tibor give you a better non-fading drag system. I guess that's worth a few extra bucks if you're targeting the real bruisers. Come to think of it when I went out for bluefin on a charter the reel was an Abel, the one with that funky offset reel foot.

As I said before I'm not looking to bash the high priced stuff, just trying to understand what makes them $200-300 better.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Jonesin...

Tibor and Abel

I just sent my Tibor back to the company for service. I fish the surf pretty hard and I can't imagine there is a reel out there that would have held up as well. I have even been known to drop it in the sand on occasion. For $20 they put in all new drag/main gear, bearings and drag knob and completely cleaned and re-lubed the entire reel. This all happened with a total turnaround time of about a week from them receiving it. Two thumbs up in my book.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.