New Loop Composite Reel - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM

Question New Loop Composite Reel

Has anyone seen the new Loop Evotec CLW Reel? It's made of some composite and at ~ $150 and $60 a spool it's got me interested.

Here's a blurb from Loop's site:
A new piece of value-packed Swedish engineering. In the new CLW you find the continuing development of the Evotec concept, but with the housing and spool made of sturdy composite material. Included are all of the Loop-devised functions found in the Evotec brake package such as the silky-smooth drag and low startup inertia with a strength and precision not found anywhere in a reel at this price.
http://www.loopusa.com/REELclw.html

Anybody seen one of these at the shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Frustrated English SWFF

Jim,
I have one of these reels,a CLW 5-8, and for the money it is a very nice reel.
The drag is very efficient, the reel is very light and feels quite strong.
But, and it is a big but....being a composite it does not like being dropped! ....I did ....and broke the reelseat
The dealer replaced it, no problem and has since told me that a modification is on the way and the reel seat will get replaced with a metal one.
I still use it for fishing in the salt in the UK and it is ideal for that purpose.
I might even bring it over in June and give it a try, though i think the CLW 8-12 size might be better suited for the size of your fish
I should add that the reel is very well made and is far better than any other composite reel i've seen.
Well worth you checking it out
Dave

Last edited by clouser UK; 01-09-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Jim...

The Loop composite reel is very nice and I think it works quite well. The biggest draw back is that when loaded with line and backing the one I have only weighs 9.4oz. so it won't balance a heavy rod. If you don't need that aspesct I think you will find you like the reel. I'm using mine on a 12'4" rod where it seems to be just right. Unless something has changed Tim Rajeff the new Loop distributor for the US should have them available later this month.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll hold out for the metal foot. The fact that it's light might work to my advantage since I've found my Lamson ls4 to be on the heavy side when matched up with the 9wt. I'll probably move that over to the two hander so I need something else in a LA for the 9wt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.