Vince Cummings rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM

Vince Cummings rod

My grandfather passed down a Vince Cummings fly rod to me and I was wondering what it is worth? I would never sale it, just would like to know. It says Vince Cummings Custom Made Boron/Graphite WT.3/4 7ft. It has the Cummings rod case too. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Law Student

Send a message via AIM to brooklynangler
Well...

His fiberglass rods are very valuable (as glass rods go) not sure about the graphite. Any of the guys who handle cane rods could help you with this. try len codella at codella dot com.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:31 AM

Jim Adams in Berkley, CA. could probably tell you. He buys and sells desirable old gear. His phone # is: 510-849-1324.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 PM

Vince Cummings

Vince Cummings was a marvelous character. I had a cabin on the upper Beaverkill in Roscoe, NY in the late 80's and he made a few rods for me then. I met him at the Little Store in Roscoe through its former owner, Bobbie Bock, who was the nicest person you could hope to meet...

The 6 pc. graphite travel rod he made for me was stolen but I still have a 2 pc., 5 wt. 8 ft. which also bears the label "boron graphite" and "custom rod." I paid about $200 for it back then and a dealer told me today it was worth $50. His glass rods are said to be worth more.

Vince was very tall and thin, dressed in khaki, and was fond of a drink. On the two occasions when he came to the cabin to deliver a rod, his wife waited in the car and took the cash away from him

He had great pride in his work and was quite angry with me when I broke a tip trying to ride hoem from the river in waders on a large motorcycle with the rod across the bars. He did make me another tip though, as good as new...

He told me he had been an oil executive in NYC in the 50's and took up rod making when he retired. My Vince Cummings is my trout rod of choice. I would be potentially interested in buying another one of his rods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.