Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backing advise

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mayflyman 
#1 ·
I've got a reel that only holds about 150 yds. of backing which should be enough but I'd like another 75-100yds for insurance. I would have never thought I needed more until I recently got 1/2 the backing ripped off my Tioga in a few seconds. Part of the reason of having a large arbor in my bag of tricks is that when I did got hold of the handle and started to retrieve line I was probably getting 3-4" per turn of the crank, resulting in a lost fish (whatever it was).
I'd like to hear from any of you who have used the super thin backing and what you think of it.

#2 ·
Jim...You can never have enough rodz, reelz, and/or backing! Since you have a limited space, I would go ahead and try the 50# micron...I've not used it in FF applications...In a former life I had "tuff" line on my Calcuttas and it was dynomite...but if you handle it with your waterlogged hands watch out for line cuts! The only bad that I've heard (besides cuts) is if it's spooled loosely, should you get into it again with the drag doing its' thing, it can dig in and bind up...take care to guide it back on properly after a run and you should be fine!
Talk to your local FF dealer and pump him/her for more information...Cheers!
Wade safe!

#3 ·
It's probably sh_t luck but I've had the good fortune to see a lot of my backing this season, knock on wood. I like a meaty backing, at least 30# normal backing diameter. The 20# is just too tenous when your $50 fly line is out there somewhere down a set of rapids or in a big surf.

Given the choice of not enough and thin, I'd take thin. Tough choice though!

#4 ·
I like the Orvis Big game 50#. Thinner than 20# dacron. Kindof like having your cake and eating it too. It is expensive. Knots are a little tricky and you have to be very consciouse of winding it on tight and crossing it over its self.Otherwise it will dig into its self and that is a mess.
I think that the thin backing is the obviouse partner to the LA. reel. As a fish takes off, you loose a smaller % of your diameter, and LA. reels usually are a little short on capacity any way.

#5 ·
Like eddie: I too use Orvis backing.
I use the Orvis High-Capacity Gel-spun backing.
Not because of big fish, its for insurance. Like many others, fly line is not cheap!
If the backing fails to do its job, kiss $52+ dollars good-bye. :eek:
I have yet to experience a fish taking my line to the backing. The monster pike I caught didn't make long runs.
Looking forward to my first steelhead trip this fall.
Maybe then, I'll think of the backing as something more than holding my fly-line to the real. :)
mayflyman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.