Mastery series Steelheadtaper-Floating 9WT - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2001, 07:32 PM

Mastery series Steelheadtaper-Floating 9WT

A question regarding either my ability or the ability of my Sage rplx 9wt to properly load this line. Do you think I should of gone one size up [10] or go back to school. This is my first time using this rod with anything but shooting heads,9wt in intermediates and 10 in the faster sinking lines
Rod is rplx, 3 piece 9FT. Your coments will be appreciated.
saltRon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2001, 11:06 PM

Most modern fly rods can go up/down one line size without too much trouble.
My Orvis spring creek (WF5F) can load a WF4F like a fast action tip rod or a WF6F like a slower "full flex" rod.
Try your 9 weight rod with a 8 and a 10 weight line, see which one loads the best.
There is also different line tapers in the 9 weights, a bass-bug taper might load better than a double taper line.
The bass bug line would be closest profile to the shooting head lines that you are use to.
I would suggest trying that first.
Best of luck.
mayflyman
Old 08-23-2001, 07:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ron -

I am familiar with the rod and line, the line will definitely load the rod but only if you can aerialize a long length of line. This is true of the steelhead mastery taper even when rod is one rating lower, but of course less line needs to be in the air. I would guess that the rplx 9wt will require about 40-50' to start casting itself. I use the 8wt steelhead taper on an Sage RPL 8.5' 8wt. It's a pretty good match.

The line handles very well, mending and rolling, even singlehanded Spey casting, etc.

Coming from a shooting taper it's a big change. Another option would be to use a shooting style floating line, I've seen some out there. This line wouldn't handle well though, unless short lining (small streams) or straight lining (coastal or stillwater).

Are you going topwater for coho this fall?
Old 08-23-2001, 07:02 PM
bill

Hi Ron,

I have that line and recall it being a decent match for my 990 rpl - i now have the 990 rplx 3 piece, which is a bit beefier, but haven't tried it on that rod yet. My recollection is the same as Juro's - get a lot of line in the air and it should perform better - the belly is long. It might also be a case of focusing on a more concentrated acceleration of your snap/flick than you're used to with heads.

bill
Old 08-25-2001, 11:52 AM

I have that rod and fish that line on a couple of different rods. I am usually not inclined to over line rods, but the rplx is a canidate for overlineing. The rplx might not be the best rod for fishing a floater.As everyone has said, this line is the opposite of a shooting head, but it is the best handleing line I have used. Perfect for big mends, roll casts, and controling a swinging(or dead drifted)fly. I think that I would stick with what you have, and if you can arealize the whole head(55'?)and it still feels unloaded, line up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.