Warmwater dream destination - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Fly chucker

Warmwater dream destination

Enough talk about dream saltwater, trout, and salmon dream destinations....what about warmwater?

Northern pike and smallmouth bass are without question my favorite freshwater fish. Over the past few years I've been fortunate enough to sample some great fishing for each in North America, so now my sights are keenly set on a new target:

Peacock Bass!

I'm not talking about those stockers in the canals of Florida. I'm talking about those brutes in South America that can break plugs in half on the strike and rip your arms off during the fight. Acrobatic, aggressive, territorial.......maybe the reasons that I've locked onto them is because they combine the attributes of my two favorites.

This is my vow: sometime in the next several years, I must make it to the Amazon River basin and catch peacock bass on the fly. You are all my witnesses to this promise.

What's a warmwater dream destination for you?
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Flats Rat

Peacock bass look seriously cool - plus there are all sorts of other large finned critters lurking in the tannin stained Amazon.

Other targets would include Nile Perch - they get seriously big - >100 kilos - and Tiger Fish - both in Africa.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Fly chucker

You're right, those tigerfish look pretty darned formidable too. I'm not quite as familiar with them as I should be, though. See, there was a show with Cindy Garrison fishing for them but my attention really wasn't on the fish....
Old 01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I tied flies for a friend going down to Brazil for peacocks- 6/0 8 inch bangers and streamers in the most gawdy colors (Hot pink and orange poppers were the ticket) .................ridicules. Apparently he was able to catch several about 10lbs. Considering these fish break "pool cue" casting rods, they must be like nothing else with fly tackle.

As for my dream fishing oppritunity, I'd like to go as for north as that 40" northerns are nothing special.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 PM

Mark go for it, sooner is better... I've not done the PB myself but my friends (who now live in Guyana) use a 9 foot - 10 Wt. dry line and whack the Peacock Bass with a Yakka-Pika variant in local rivers. I just can't make enough flies for them.... One guy said he has also caught tarpon on this fly, go figure!
I make the variant Yakka-Pika, with a large spreader at the front, tied on a TMC 511S popper hook 2/0, same color scheme. The spreader is tied on in front of the eyes and the Yak hair is NOT tied down behind the eyes. It's awsome, so they tell me!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM

My dream Warm water trip should happen this summer, although i don't think the water will be very warm!.
Lac La Martre in the NorthWest Territories. Do a web search for the lake and you will undrestand.
Lakers and Pike, VERY LARGE IN BOTH SIZE AND NUMBERS, as reported by a friend who went there a few years ago. Their claims are accurate!
I must dream on since I have a really bad case of shack nasties these days!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:32 PM

Great Slave Lake and surrounding lakes in NWT -- monster pike and loads of them. Hit my first pike on a fly in '91 on Blatchford Lake, 50 miles from Yellowknife. Loved Yellowknife -- great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 PM

Spreader Yakka-Pika

Mark, this is the one I tie for the guys in Guyana. I'll mail it to you that way you will have to get out the Peacock Bass heaven sooner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spreader-Yakka-Pika.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4255  
Old 01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
_

Some day I will go to NW Canada to go sight fishing for giant northern pike. I've seen video where log-sized pike were everywhere and the fishermen could choose which fish to try to catch. Even though it was only on TV, it still got my adrenaline going to see the wakes and bulging water from the attacking pike

Another closer dream destination is Lake Winnipesaukee or some other smallie lake in NH or ME where pike and muskies are also a possibility.

Peacock bass are another dream altogether. And those tiger fish . . . yikes! You'd go through 100 flies per day with those things!

Q
Old 01-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Fly chucker

Pete, you're killling me! If you send one of those flies, I'll have to send you a few of my recently developed patterns, still under production. They could use some testing north of the border.

Quentin, if you have an opportunity to fish Winnie in NH by all means do it. I finally got there at the end of May last season, and even for a bad day condition-wise we still landed many fish, none under 15 inches. You can search this forum for more details. It's everything they say it is and more.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 AM

Pete,

That fly could catch fish anywhere in the world, nice job.

I do one warm water fishing destination a year with the fly rod and it's to a local lake. Blue gills and I have a ball.

I hear that Cuba has the biggest large mouth bass anywhere. I would like to go and find out. My girl freind who has been many times untill recently says the people are wonderful and the environment in perfect condition.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:48 AM

Is Canada considered a "warmwater" destination?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Fly chucker

Truth be told, smallmouth bass and northern pike are really cold water fish (pike moreso than smallies). IMO they have fallen under the label of warmwater because they aren't trout, salmon, or grayling (species associated with coldwater). Lazy? Yes. Accurate? Not entirely, but pike and smallies will definitely tolerate warmer temps than any of the coldwater species I've mentioned.

Now to the point regarding Canada. For a period of time, the waters up there can be quite warm, especially in some of the more shallow stretches of water pre and post spawn. On a trip last year visiting FrenchCreek, we regularly hit water temps in the low to mid 60s two hours north of Calgary, and I'm certain that they grew warmer as the season progressed. So for a window of time, certain waters in Cananda can be considered warmwater.

How's that for a qualified answer?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
musky and northerns in canada somewheres

also take a few side trip while i'm up there for trout

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 01-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw
Is Canada considered a "warmwater" destination?
We're not up to our butts in snow, 12 months a year!. In July in Yellowknife, it's shorts and t-shirt weather.

Many of the lakes and rivers in Ontario won't support trout because they get too warm in the summer. Some lakes support lake trout only because they're deep enough for the fish to find cold water in mid-summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.