Help! Save Me!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Help! Save Me!!

Someone please, help me organize my tying materials. I sat down to wrap some bugs and I can't find anything I need....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyingmaterials.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	4230   Click image for larger version

Name:	tyingmaterials2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	4231  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 PM

I can help with the mess-just send me that nice indigo Rhea!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Pullin' Thread

Ryan,

I'd suggest getting zip-lock bags in several sizes to fit your loose materials and put each of them in their separate zip-locks. Also, getting some 'shoebox' size plastic containers at Wally World, Freddy's, Home Depot, or Lowe's to put your now zip-lock bagged materials in (don't forget to put labes on both the sip-locks and the shoebox plastic containers so you know what is in them without needing to open them) might also help keep things organized.

Also, Home Depot, Lowe's, Wally World, or Freddy's have plastic cabinets with 6 drawers on wheels that don't cost much and they are useful for putting things like hooks, hackle capes, Krystal Flash, Flashabou, etc. in. Again, labels on the outside of the drawers make it easy to find out what is inside.

These three things could help you keep you materials organized and easy to both find stuff and put it away when done using it.

And after you end up with thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in tying materials needing a place to rest, shelving in the garage (provided you have one) or in a spare room (again providing you have one) so you can put the plastic shoeboxes on the shelfs (remember these shoebox storage containers stack well on top of one another) I've found to be very good for keeping bulk material organized and easy to get at and easy to find. Since the storage boxes have snap tight lids, bugs are not going to get into the material, and they come in larger, shallow depth sizes for putting things like whole argus feathers, large turkey tail, bustard feathers, macaw center tail, whole guinea skins, etc. in them (these larger, shallow boxes easily fit under beds.

Last edited by flytyer; 01-03-2005 at 01:10 AM. Reason: edited to make it clear this is only one way to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Jolly Buddha

WHY that looks normal for you

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Mod

Russ-
The funny thing is that years ago when I first attempted to organize my tying materials, I purchased a box of zip lock bags and they worked okay for a while.

When they didn't seem to do the job anymore, I invested in some of those Ziplock tupperware containers, purcahsed one of those rolling carts you talked about, complete with the pull out draws and all. And it worked for a while....

And over time, I ended up with what the above pictures show. And my materials have been like that for a good couple years now.

I just think its all about discipline...I am a last minute tyer, tying into the wee hours of the morning until I just can't tie anymore. I then push everything into a box and go to sleep. It's a viscious cycle as the more disorganized and such that my materials get, the more I procastinate and the more I procrastinate the more messy it gets and etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.....

I guess the cycle won't be broken until I finally have a room and desk and such dedicated to tying....

And well tonight I couldn't find my bloody tube attachment for the last time so I decided to rip-sh*t everything apart....I think I'm half way to get everything back into some sort of order. ....but I still haven't found my attachment.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

Have you ever tied so late that you fell asleep with hooks in your bed?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Ryan -

Have you ever tied so late that you fell asleep with hooks in your bed?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Pullin' Thread

Ryan,

If I'm not finished tying the number of flies I need of a particular pattern, the materials stay on my tying table (I use one of those 4' folding tables Office Depot and Office Max sell with a 2' white polyethylene cutting board as my tying surface). My tools are always on my tying table in a 2-tier lazy susan I got at a kitchen supply store years ago, this way I don't have to search for tools. But as soon as I'm finished with tying a particular pattern, the materials go back in their storage containers. I've found this approach keeps my tying table clear and makes it easier to find the material I need for a fly.

One thing I didn't mention in my other post was that I also keep a "working storage box" that I put the materials (except for hooks) that I am going to need for all the flies I'm going to be tying in the next week or so. This is nothing more than a cardboard box that is temporary storage for the zip-locks I will be using, and it allows for more efficient tying since I don't have to put all the material back away until I'm completely finished with the flies. This might also be something you might try.

But my young friend, if you don't use the storage boxes, zip-locks, and drawer cabinets, they do you no good and you may end with hooks in your bed!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Mod

Since Juro mentioned it, I figured I should pull this one out of the archives. This is from Feb. of '02.

Okay, first of all I was heavily advised against posting this very embarrasing story but now that I look back on it, I think it is quite humerous. Besides, everyone already knows that I manage to do some pretty embarrasing things.

I guess I will doing anything for a little attention and I am sure the story that follows will provide me with plenty.

Eventhough I have a desk that is perfect for tying flies, I still plop my vice down on a pillow on my bed and sit there and tie. Also, my tying materials are in complete disarray. I have yet to discipline myself to put the marabou and hackles and even hooks back into their packaging. I have bins upon bins of loose hooks and tangled messes of tinsels, chenilles, thread and marabou.

Usually when I am done tying, I push all the crap back into the bins but in the process many of the materials just end up on my bed. I either throw them in a bin or throw 'em back on my tying pedestal.

Normally I atleast put the bins back in the little stacker thingamijig that I have but I have been tying many flies every night as of late, so I just threw the bins and crap on the floor and went to bed.

I woke up at about 5 in the morning last night and was just trying to get comfortable again. I was tossing and turning and on one spin to the other side, I felt a deep, penatrating, sharp and painful as Hell feeling in my left buttocks. I reached down to see if I could feel what is was and it was frickin' hook.

Everytime I moved the pain got worse and worse and worse. I tried to sit up to reach at it but the pain was unbearable. It had actually gone through my mattress pad, through my sheet, my boxers and finally into my ass.

I did what I could to get the pain to go away but it wouldn't and I could not, for the life of me, get a good grip on the hook without the pain reaching near screaming mode.

I looked around to see if I could find a pair of pliers to cut it at the shank but there were none around. I tried to reach for my lamp so I could atleast see what I was doing but even that was too much pain to bare.

I was almost at the point of yelling for HELP, but I figured there was a much better way of solving the problem at hand. Last thing I wanted was my sister to walk in and see me stuck to my bed with a hook in my ass, in my underwear.

I hoped that the hook had not gone through the mattress so I began to peel away the mattress pad. Reaching to every corner of the bed involved large amounts of shearing pain but I had to do it. After about 5 minutes I had the mattress pad off and totally wrapped around me, as to prevent it from getting caught on anything which would inturn pull on the hook.

I managed to get up, turn on the light and back the hook out through the pad, the sheet, my underwear and my ass...with not alot of blood lost. What hook had been set into my ass??...a size 1 1/2 Alec Jackson Heavy Wire.

Oh well...hope ya all got a good laugh!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:17 AM

TYING IN BED!!!!

Obviously not sharing a conjugal bed now are we. Those of us blessed with a SWMBO have long ago been organized by them. As I see it, you have two choices. Get married or try and act like you're married by constantly nagging yourself about the mess.

Here's my solution -- boxes from Ikea and thread racks from the local fabric store:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030043.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	4232   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030044.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	4233  
Old 01-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Another idea is slat wall like at the shops. Everything hangs so it is easy to find and looks like you have your own private flyshop in your tying room. If tying room doubles as a bed room this may or may not work in your favour if you are doing any 'entertaining'.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There's a joke there somewhere but I dare not go there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler
If tying room doubles as a bed room this may or may not work in your favour if you are doing any 'entertaining'.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:05 AM

I WILL

Sparkey, I'm concerned, very, very concerned. Do you realize that between all of us here on flytalk that we have hundreds of years if not thousands beteen us fly fishing and I bet that combined we have only met 2 or 3 women that would sleep in a bed like that.

Do you have a good health care provider? One that affords an hour or so a week on the couch?

I thought I was bad having all my fly tying gear on the kitchen table for the winter season. But at least I could eat sitting on the couch while watching re-runs of Billy Bob Bass Shows on OLN. I guess you could sleep on the couch if you have one.

Peter,

Do you have to be born organized to have such a beautiful setup? I have such a long way to go but Sparkey, I think it is safe to say we all are very concerned!

And I've thought all those piercings you have were intentional.

Best of luck, really.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
Peter,

Do you have to be born organized to have such a beautiful setup?
Nope, you just have to marry one -- the rest is self-preservation . . . .
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
neat ???

I just pull the top of my roll top desk down. I know everything is in there somewhere.

Peter,,,,, you just cant be that neat. Damn your making me feel bad I know self preservation thats why I have a roll top. Been married to the same house boss for 43 years now.

Skilly

PS. I havent even read to the bottom of my honey do list on this new place yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.