Good and bad start to 2005 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Good and bad start to 2005

He hit at the end of the swing. Felt more like a snag then something alive. Just before I through slack into the line to free it from the snag he shook his head letting me know I had better keep the line tight. Then the surface exploded as he tried to throw the hook. A good but short run and I was starting to look towards the shore to find a good place to land him.

I was way out in the river and it was going to take some time to work towards the shallows. The fish came with me with out much fight. A little surprising that he "walked" in with me finning easily. I asked my partner if he could tell if this was a native or a hatchery fish. We both agreed he was a hatchery fish when he was in about a foot of water. We estimated his size at around 10 pounds.

Of course he gained a little more life as he felt the water getting to shallow. I waited for him to settle down a bit before trying to remove the fly. Then as can happen the fly came loose of his mouth and he swim away. Damn, I was going to keep that guy.

When I reached down to check the fly I noticed the point was gone. Surpised that he had borke the hook when he was not fighting much. After inspecting the hook I found that it hadn't broke at the bend like one would have expected but the hook broke way up on the shank well above the bend. I have never had a hook part on the shank before. I guess that is fishing.

Nice way to start the new year. Although I hope the fact that the hook broke in such an strange location it is not an omen for the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Jolly Buddha

Hows your waders?

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Simonseth
Hows your waders?
So is that where he hooked it????
Old 01-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

reason hook broke

No, I didn't hook my waders.

Here is interesting information on why the hook broke. Something I would not have thought of until a co-worker suggested it. At the urgings of my co-worker I retrieved the broken fly from my truck and we peeled back what remained of the materials used to tie the fly. Underneath the dubbing used for the body of the fly we found the reason the hook broke. This particular fly has been in my box for several years and may have caught fish in the past and what we found was rust. I usually dry my wet flies on the dash of the truck after fishing them. Not sure if I did with this fly or not but it would seem the dubbing material didn't completely dry out and the shaft of the hook rusted through. With the added stress of hooking a steelhead the rusted shaft gave out.

So, remember to dry you flies completely after using them. It might be the difference between eating brat for dinner or not.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered Spey Offender

That is some pretty good stuff Kerry. I think I'm going to have to endure the longer drive and fish up there. The Sky is packed with rabid animals. I can't believe the pressure it is getting. I would rather fish alone where the Steelhead are not than to have to hear, "hey, can ya pass me another sand shrimp."

Matt Burke
Old 01-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Jolly Buddha

Hey Matt

Just stop by Kerry's house he can help you out with the Sand Shrimp, remember he's in Woolley right on the way up river.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered Spey Offender

For the Sky I swear, I'm beginning to think I should tie flies imitating pieces of broken up sand shrimp. Also, I need something that can make the sound of a jet boat from the bank. That way the Steelhead will feel more comfortable when they impale themselves on my sand shrimp tail imitation tied on sideways like real bait. Oh yeah, it works great to throw empty Schmidt cans and pint bottles into holding water. I think they work like attracting scents you can apply to rubber worms.

Matt Burke
Old 01-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Pullin' Thread

Matt,

You forgot the empty cigarette packs tossed on the bank to mark where the best fishing hole is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.