glass eyes for bass bugs? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 07:52 PM

glass eyes for bass bugs?

I've noticed that the few bass flies that I've purchased from various fly shops seem to have glass eyes glued on them rather than the plastic ones I normally use. I don't know how durable they are but they do seem to look more life-like. Does anyone know where I can purchase these?

CDG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 07:51 AM
_

I've seen the epoxy eyes, which seem more realistic than flat plastic eyes or painted eyes, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen glass eyes. What type of plastic eyes are you using?

Q
Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've seen the glass eyes on sale at my local flyshops with metal posts that would be great for use in spun deerhair heads. I believe these might be what you have on your bass bugs (?)
Old 01-02-2005, 10:35 AM

oh, i guess they might be epoxy, i wasn't sure what they were made of, i just assumed it might be glass because of how clear they are. Do either of you have an online source for these?

CDG
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Fly chucker

CDG, I've sent you a PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Pullin' Thread

CDG,

I used to buy them by the hundred at a craft store. I found them in the doll making area where there were many types and sizes of eyes that could be used on flies. I would be surprised if craft stores no longer carried them. In my opinion, fly tyers make a mistake not checking out a craft store every once in a while, there are some very interesting things in them and some real bargains as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Fly Fishing Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
CDG,

I used to buy them by the hundred at a craft store. I found them in the doll making area where there were many types and sizes of eyes that could be used on flies. I would be surprised if craft stores no longer carried them. In my opinion, fly tyers make a mistake not checking out a craft store every once in a while, there are some very interesting things in them and some real bargains as well.
They have Peacock Sowrds at a very cheap price, same with Chenille, Eyes, and many more things, Id say go check out Craft stores If you want some things u cant find from say Cabelas, Bass ProsShops, look at a Craft store, ud b amazed at stock and price
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 AM

I've still been unable to locate any of these eyes so if anyone could give me a phone number or URL of a place that carries them I would really appreciate it.

CDG
Old 01-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Pullin' Thread

CDG,

Give Kaufmann's a try, they had them in last year's catalog. Check and see if they still have them by sending a pm to Ryan (Northfrk 16), he works at Kaufmann's in Bellevue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.