Wading boots for wide feet - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 PM

Question Wading boots for wide feet? Suggestions please.

Hey all..

I'm new to this forum. I did read through some of the previous posts about wading boots, but I was hoping for some suggestions from folks out there with wide feet. Mine feet are short and wide, and I always have trouble finding shoes that fit. Having waders with neoprene socks make my feet even wider.

I hike in a lot, sometimes pretty far, so I'm leaning toward Aqua Stealth soles, probably with studs.

I understand the Patagonia's are wide, but I only found them with felt soles.

Any wide footed guys out there tried the LL Bean boots, River Treads or Ultralights? Other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by Drydog; 11-04-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 11:11 AM

I've got wide feet, and I've had good luck with the Chota STL boots. These are felt sole with removable cleats. I don't know if they come with Aquastealth as an option or not. Make sure to buy one full size larger than your shoe size.

Brett
Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 AM

wading boots for wide feet

The Patagonias are really wide, and you can get them with studded felt soles. I've tried a pair of Aquastealth boots (w/o studs) from Bean and almost turned my two piece rod into a four piece. My feet are wide and the Bean shoes were comfortable, but I might as well have been wading in sneakers for all the traction they provided. Haven't tried the studded Aquastealths, but I'm not inclined to. I've hiked in the studded Patagonias (only 1-2 miles on average, though) without too much slippage and found them comfortable for all day wear. Keep an eye on sierratradingpost.com because they sometimes have the Patagonias on sale for, which is where I got mine for $50. If you try them and don't like them, even after a year or more, sierra takes them back--no questions asked.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info, Ictalurus. I'm probably going for the L.L Bean's or the Patagonias. Still undecided.

What size patagonia's do you wear? What size L.L. Bean's did you wear?

I'm trying to figure out how the sizing compares between the two brands.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 02:09 PM

Shoe sizes

I'm pretty certain I got size 12 for both shoes. My foot is really between a 10 and an 11 depending on the shoe. Really I'm only a 10 for sandals, everything else is 10.5-11. I'll check the Patagonias tonight and update this post if I'm wrong. I do remember that Sierra Trading Post had them listed with a weird unisex sizing.

The Bean shoe was really comfortable but was much lower volume. I only wore them twice, I think, before I was so disgusted with them that I sent them back, so I can't really address long term comfort, etc. I can't remember which model they were (River Tread or Ultralight--they looked different than either one, but they were probably the 2001 or 2002 model), but they were fairly cheap, the catalog said they were the most comfortable shoe, and they weren't all leather. They were a good match with my Orvis outlet waders and didn't make the stocking feet bunch up or anything. They really fit like a hiking shoe. My buddy who got me into flyfishing, swore up and down about how well the soles worked, but they didn't work well for me. I think they might reduce the probably of transporting whirling disease, but don't quote me on that. The nice thing about Bean is that you can try them out and send them back if you don't like them, they're uncomfortable after a day on the water, etc.

The Patagonias are much roomier on the inside, both width-wise and instep-wise. I don't think my toes are really near the end of them, but it's hard to tell with the stout toe box. They're also a good match with my waders, and my foot doesn't move too much when I wet wade and wear a 2mm sock. You can crank down on the laces pretty well. There's enough room where I was contemplating buying a nice insole to get a little more arch support. I've worn them quite a bit now and haven't really worn down the studs. The studs are partially buried under the felt so you have to wear them a bit to expose the studs.

I guess that's it. Holler if you have any questions.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks for that good info.

I decided to order the L.L. Bean river treads and give them a try. If I don't like them, they don't fit, or they don't grip well enogh for the rivers I fish, I'll send them back. Satisfaction guarranteed. I'll let you know how they work out.

If I decide to change to a felt shoe, It'll probably be the patagonias.

Getting excited about the steelhead season opening soon!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:33 PM

I received the L.L. Bean river treads in the mail today. They are not wide at all! I can't understand why they would make them so narrow when they are obviously meant to be worn with neoprene stockingfoots.

I tried one size up and 2 sizes up, both were too narrow. The bigger pair still cramped my feet in the width, even though they were WAY too long.

I would recommend this boot only for people with very narrow feet, or those who like having their feet squeezed.

Looks like it'll be the patagonias for me. I should have got them to begin with, would have saved on shipping costs. oh well.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:09 PM
FFF CCI

I have, and would buy again, the Chota STL+ boots. I have size 8 1/2 EEE feet and these boots fit nicely!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:51 PM

Wide boots

I've got the same issues with short but side feet. The best fitting boots I've found are the Simms Freestones which are apparently made on a different last than their Guides or Lightweights. The toe box is quite spacious and my toes don't get all munched togather as with other boots. The Freestone is available in felt and studded felt soles only. I use 'em for some wading but mostly wiht fins in a tube or pontoon boat. For serious wading I prefer the Simms Guide studded Aquastealth. Best soles going but I had to buy 'em a size larger than the Freestones to fit right.

CC
Old 11-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Simms Guide

The Simms Guide is not good for a person whit wide feet. Ile recomend Loop Outdoor!
Old 12-01-2004, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydog
Hey all..

I'm new to this forum. I did read through some of the previous posts about wading boots, but I was hoping for some suggestions from folks out there with wide feet. Mine feet are short and wide, and I always have trouble finding shoes that fit. Having waders with neoprene socks make my feet even wider.

I hike in a lot, sometimes pretty far, so I'm leaning toward Aqua Stealth soles, probably with studs.

I understand the Patagonia's are wide, but I only found them with felt soles.

Any wide footed guys out there tried the LL Bean boots, River Treads or Ultralights? Other suggestions?

Thanks

Hodgman's are preety wide, dont know if they come with studs.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:23 PM

if you can wait a while the new simms rivertek is the widest boot on the market and is available with a studded aquastealth sole
Old 12-28-2004, 06:51 PM

Well, I needed the boots and went with the Chota STL+ with removable cleats.

They fit nice and are very comfortable. I like these boots.

I tried the Simms freestones, they fit pretty nice too, would have been my second choice. They are stiffer.

The Chotas just felt a bit more comfortable. Softer boot. Real comfortable for hiking.

The only bad part is... the felt soles are heavy, slow drying, and will probably shred pretty quick. Oh well.

I gave up on the aquasteath because I couldn't find a boot that had those soles and fit my feet.

Maybe I'll try those new Simmms when I need my next pair in a few years.

Or maybe...when the felt wears out.. I can get the Chotas resoles with Aquastealth...? Anyone tried that?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:14 AM

Simms is releasing a new "wide" boot, 2005.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.