2005 flyfishing resolutions - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Fly chucker

2005 flyfishing resolutions

I have only one: to fish more.

You?
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 02:45 PM

Kayak more and fish more now that I have more time. Learn new waters .

FishHawk
Old 12-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have so many candidates... I should think them through and decide on which to focus on as the whole lot could not be possible. Let me post again after I skinny it down to a few achievable yet worthy items...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 AM

Fish (learn) new waters and buy no commercialy tied flys.Use my own, Try to fish with my nephews more
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 AM

More DIY ......less guided fishing....and oh, one more thing....practice cast EVERYDAY!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Flats Rat

Maximise my time on the water in 2005.

I let way too many great summer days slip by in '04.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:40 PM

Location: River Ness, River Conon, River Dee, Kyle of Sutherland
Return my first spring fish, if im lucky enough to catch one.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
removed_by_request

Remember how long an hour lasted when we were kids?

I want all my time spent on the water to be like that.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Return of the Predator

Even when flyfishing became the predominant manner of my fishing pursuits I had, as always before it, kept a predatory instinct in my pursuit of gamefish. I was always locked into that tunnel vision-like "Hunt" of the quarry. Not headhunting or fish counting, but seriously pursuing the quarry. Whether it be bluegills in a pond, dorado from under the sargasso, or chasing bull elk with a bow, hunting was hunting, regardless of whether it was with rod or gun.

Over the last year and a half I have allowed myself to relax that edge for the sole purpose of learning the spey and attempting to get proficient at it. I likened it to that point in hunting where a person takes up the bow and must acknowledge that this method is much more difficult to get good at, much more serious a pursuit. Now that I have become comfortable with it and with my basic abillity (though I still have a long way to go) I resolve to now re-enter into my fish hunter mindset and try to actually catch fish rather than just cast, although I have come to love and appreciate the art and enjoyment of just casting.

It is time to seriously "pursue fish" with the spey rod! (God help me I'm gonna need it).
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Fly chucker

Moose, cool post.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:50 AM

Resolutions?

I had not focused on specific resolutions heading into the new year, but as I look where I've been this last year, and where my passions lie, and it becomes pretty apparent.

Frequently I hear and read of the classic stages a fly fisherman goes through, as his passion evolves with his increase in level of skill and experience. Local guide Dennis Dickson wrote an article on dry fly fishing for steelhead as opposed to fishing wet or sinkers that stuck with me, and points to a stage you reach after you have passed through the 'catch lots of large fish' phase. Catching fish 'your way', becomes a predominant stage, perhaps an end stage, where you insist on catching fish in the manner you most enjoy. Whether that distinction be based upon only fishing drys, or only with flies that you have tied, or any other basis that really turns you on.

While I do readily enjoy my time on a river, fish or no fish caught, my resolution is to not focus on the numbers of large fish caught, but rather fishing in the manner that gives you the most pleasure and feeds your passion, even if that limits the possible numbers of caught fish. I guess this is really just in line with the whole reason I fly fish to begin with, as opposed to fishing with gear, in that the pleasure is so infinitely better that I gladly pass over the higher numbers that gear fishing would likely give you, in order to focus on the manner of taking the fish. I agree with what Moose posted, its a difference similar to why hunters take up the bow over the rifle, it enhances the pleasure of the pursuit; in fact it is the pursuit itself, not the end result, that drives you out the door each year with great expectations.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:55 PM
CantAnchorUs

The Albie fever has completly possesed me. I vow to add more states to the list where I have caught them.
Slinger
Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 AM

my goal

other than to catch green sturgeon,stripers,shad, on the Rogue and unearth some old Rogue style drifter history,is to get Salt Dog and Moose on a brand new bigger-longer Rogue River style drifter, ,cause',i think they'd compliment each other,and whoop up on some Rogue steelies ,i like the `hunter' concept,in fact,that's what i prefer for guests,yet the hmmm `suttleness'?,for lack of a better word--- `mind game' style of thinking/planning fisher needs to be part of the equasion,ah well!,one can always dream of a `dreamteam',i guess i'll settle for actually showing a profit from guiding this year,then,of course i'm always interested in increasing casting distance/depth of drift with two handers, new flys are always being developed,in fact,i've been stalled out at the bench the last couple eves with a new secret winter steel fly that i can't seem to get the proportions to my liking and,well,i,uhhhh,mmm,,better go,work to do! ,,oh yeah!=== and don't forget about your home watershed!,it needs you!,only those who spend time on the water yearround really know what's going on,i've talked with so many old timers recently,and learned so,so much,only being out there will bring info to the surface,,so,mmm,i guess,,`being there more' would have covered it,,damn!,,,
Old 01-06-2005, 12:54 PM

Smile

#1 Have my girlfriend connect to a Salmo Salar
#2 Spot, cast to and connect with Salmo Salar on a dry.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:19 AM

Goal for 2005

Land a 40 inch steelhead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.