Pathogens in the Ocean...... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 10:11 AM

Pathogens in the Ocean......

At the Family Christmas Party one of our various family members with a degree in Marine Biology was describing a killer bug that was effecting populations of salmonids from Sardines to Chinook. He does voyages on one of the NOAA research vessels and was just presenting a brief and "Antecdotal
" account of something they have been pieceing together for several years.
Oh yeah you should be forewarned this guy is also one of those fools who beleives in Global Warming.
I hope to hear more from him on this subject he said it affected the blood and was always fatal, may have always been around but stress caused by warmer temps may give it just enough of a boost to make it "kick in". (and someone asked if it was beyond Hope)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 AM

Will be interesting to know if they think this is genetic condition caused by hatcheries practices which by the way does effect wild fish. Most likely a virus type of problem though.

Be interesting to know more about this. Anyone else out there know more?

Hey Howzer where are you when we need you.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:38 PM
removed_by_request

We went thru massive Chinook kills on Lake Michigan back in the 90's. The disease was called BKD, really hit the stocked fish hard, funny the natural repro fish in Michigan were not harmed. All the egg heads said it was due to lack of forage etc. Odd thing is the natural fish had to eat too, but yet they were not affected.

Sounded like techno egg head double speak for our hatchery gene pool is screwed (to me any way).

They resolved it by adding anti-biotics to the hatchery fishes food. Nothing like a tasty salmon treat full of medicine. And people wonder why I don't like eating the buggers.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:24 AM

Now its a bit more public knowledge ..

And here it tis Christmas time again. Have you seen the news about the "Viruses in the Herring population in Puget Sound? It is the same stuff my Nephew was alluding to that is all over the North Pacific effecting just about every Salmonid but hey thats only Antecdotal information! The bit about the Herring in the Sound is "True" ( this the just the tip of the ice berg) you heard it here first!
Old 12-17-2005, 12:51 AM

I have read a bit on this today but didn't go into much detail.

Questions that first come to mind...if this pathogen is affecting salmonids let alone the food chain...

Does this explain why fish numbers are down and not logging, dams, ocean harvest, etc?

Is this the smoking gun that has killed off the Puget Sound wild winter runs?

Just food for thought...

William
Old 12-17-2005, 01:40 AM

Valid questions William, hopefully there will be additional funding to further the cause of Fish Research and we will have the answers you ask.
Persoanlly I am trying to entertain all (most) of my grand nieces and nephews to pursue a life in Science studies.
The rivers around here all are at record lows for the date and we need a bit of rain on the hills and snow on the Mountains. Other than that.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.