Opinions? - Ultralight reels for 3W - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Opinions? - Ultralight reels for 3W

I'm looking for opinions on ultralight reels for a 7' 3wt custom St. Croix. Here's my requirements, somewhat in order:

Less than $100
Sensitive drag
Less than 4 oz.
Excellent durability
Spool changing system

I use this rod for mid to small size streams in New England, catching mostly native brookies and smaller hatchery trout, with the occasional big rainbow or brown. Currently, I paired the rod with Okuma Sierra 4/5, but I find it too heavy, and the drag is not nearly sensitive enough. The way I see it, all I need in a reel for the 3wt outfit is something with a sensitive enough drag for my usual catch that's light enough to balance the outfit well. Adding to the issue is a $100 Bass Pro Shop gift card I received from my generous employees. There's a reel fitting my specs, The White River Fly Shops Classic Machined Fly Reel, but I can't find any reviews. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM

Reels for 7', 3wt Rod

CSHERM, IMHO, your best bets are the Orvis CFO I (3.25 oz)($235.00), Orvis Battenkill BBS1 (3.6 oz)($129.00), the Orvis Battenkill Click and Pawl (3.5 oz)($89.00), the Ross Cimarron 1 (4 oz)($150), the Abel TR Light (3.15 oz)(Click and Pawl)(discontinued, but still available on their website for $155.00, down from #225.00), OR the Bass Pro Shops White River Classic you mentioned. I own the smallest White River Classic (Ultralight, 2.2oz!)($89.00), which I use on my Orvis Superfine 2 wt, 1 oz rod. It is a WELL MADE, awesome little reel and very pretty to boot. It has essentially no drag though - just a clicker; but that isn't a drawback on a one, two or three weight rod - just makes it more fun! The one drawback is that spare spools ARE NOT AVAILABLE, so if you wanted one, you'd have to purchase another reel. The Ultralight is very similar to the Abel clicker but without the adjustable hex nuts to adjust the drag tension. IMHO, adjusting a clicker really doesn't make much difference anyway. Recommendation? The Orvis Battenkill BBS I - I own the St. Croix 7' 3 wt (store bought) with this reel on it and it is a perfect balance for this rod. The reel is smooth, has a nice classic clicker sound and has a fully adjustable, sensitive disc drag for those unexpected big fish. Also, you won't have to worry about the reel being discontinued any time soon, so spare spools and service will always be available. Hope this helps!

Zugbugz - Arizona
Old 12-28-2004, 07:30 PM

Smile Reels for custom St. Croix 7' 3wt rod

CSHERM, in regards to the Orvis BBSI I recommended...a mistake, the smallest Battenkill BBS is the BBSII...still recommended! I know its a little more than $100, but Bass Pro does carry them, but only the platinum color is on their website for some odd reason. Might just be oversight...

Also, if you are considering the White River Classic in the smallest size with a drag (Classic 1, I believe), the weight is listed at 4.1 oz...and, though I haven't used it, if it's of the same quality as my little Classic Ultralight, it WILL be comparable to the Battenkill or the Ross Cimarron - and it's only $89.

Later,

Zugbugz
Old 12-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the advice Zugbugz - very helpful. There'a an Orvis shop close to work and I'll be sure to check out that BBSII a little closer.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:51 PM

I have an Orvis BBSII and it is a very well made reel for the money. I don't think it can be topped for what you want it for.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:58 AM

not sure what the word is on the G.Loomis Venture reels is, but it's right at $100 and i think, not positive, that Bass Pro sells them. also hear good things on the Martin Mohawk River reel. i doubt Bass Pro has that one, tho. whatever you decide, please post your thoughts on the performance as i too am looking for a light 3# setup in the near future.

Last edited by juro; 01-12-2005 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Removed NON SPONSOR direct link (please read guidelines)
Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Went to Orvis to check out the BBSII. Nice little reel, I'll probably be going that route. One of their new mid arbor reels was on display. It was about the same amount, the drag was more sensitive and I think fully encased. I was leaning that way until I figured out it was 5+ oz. Doh!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:52 PM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
reel deal

I actually work at a bass pro shops as a part timer as i am in college.
ALthough selection varies store to store (im down in the southeast) OUR store carries the loomis venture and it is definatley on the webpage and catalog. That said, I shall step out from my bps affiliation at this point and into my angler-to-angler mode.
I think that between the Orvis BBS, the venture , the white river classic, the classic ultralight(no drag), and even the white river CV2(large arbor anodized small size is about $120 with spare spools avail); I would go with the loomis venture every time. spare spools on this reel run $60.

and more specific id rank them for your situatation as follows
loomis venure( it think it has the most sensitive and definatley most easy to adjust)
CV2
bbs it is offered in a 3/4 weight
classic
classic ultralight

on a side note as you are seeekin a spare spool and you have $100-- if youre lookin for a good cheapie you should look at the hobbs creek reels bps sells. reel is 40 and a spool will go for 20 add some backing and line and youre somewhere around 100 depending on line quality. I have seen these reels shatter on the line machine however. If the backing is wound too tight the arbor can shatter as i have done this twice in my 2 year stint with bps. Its a good buy for the money
good luck on the water
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Why is a sensitive drag # 2 on your list for a 3 wt rod? Do you actually use the drag on a rod that small? Most people (maybe everybody) I know just strip-fight anything in they catch on a rod that small.

Personally, my trout reels are just there as line holders and to balance the rod. I use cheap LL Bean graphite reels($35), and have multiple spare spools for each one. I don't see the point at all in spending more on a light freshwater reel. For the salt, absolutely, but for trout? I spent my money on a top quality rod becaus that's what makes the difference. Just one man's opinions...
Old 01-22-2005, 04:37 PM

LL Bean Streamlight 4/5 is my personal choice

I have a LL Bean Stramlight Reel that is about 5 years old and I love it for my 3 and 4 wt rods. It is a click and pawl drag, not a disc drag, but as mentioned above - do you really need a sophisticated drag on such a small rod. Most of the time I end up not even getting the fish on the reel - just strip them in. I believe Bean's is closing the old Streamlight model out and they can be had for like $28 and spools for $16 (check web site). The 4/5 size is very light, nice green color, and is a perfect size for a 3wt. I also have a old click and pawl 5/6 battenkill from Orvis and use that on 5wt - very nice reel and lighter than the disc model. My buddy had the 3/4 disc and it was sweet and balanced his 3wt outfit nicely. Good luck with your decision.

Pete
Old 01-22-2005, 07:45 PM
John Henry

For what it's worth , I just recieved a Forbes Magnesium in the mail from Overstock.com , 2.2oz , click and pawl,76$ to my door. Will be used on a dan Craft 6'10 1wt....... John
Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I have a LL Bean Stramlight Reel that is about 5 years old and I love it for my 3 and 4 wt rods. It is a click and pawl drag, not a disc drag, but as mentioned above - do you really need a sophisticated drag on such a small rod. Most of the time I end up not even getting the fish on the reel - just strip them in. I believe Bean's is closing the old Streamlight model out and they can be had for like $28 and spools for $16 (check web site). The 4/5 size is very light, nice green color, and is a perfect size for a 3wt. I also have a old click and pawl 5/6 battenkill from Orvis and use that on 5wt - very nice reel and lighter than the disc model. My buddy had the 3/4 disc and it was sweet and balanced his 3wt outfit nicely. Good luck with your decision.

Pete
I have a couple of the Streamlight reels too, a 3/4 and a 5/6. I didn't know they were discontinuing them! I need a spare spool for the 5/6. Crap! I just checked their website and they're not for sale there, I'm going to call them to see if I can still get one...
Old 01-25-2005, 04:16 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

BPS has the Classic Ultralight Model. 2.2 oz, and is 2.5" in diam. It is machined, and costs $89.99

I had the 4wt Classic reel. Nice reel.

That little Ultralight model will work fine for you!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:12 PM

Streamlight reel still on sale

Scott - I sent you a private message saying the same thing, but thought that others may be interested in knowing that the Streamlight reels are still on sale.

Pete

Last edited by Pete; 02-06-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:19 AM

Thanks a lot Pete! I don't see them selling spare spools only anywhere, so it looks like I'll just pick up an entire reel. These reels are a great deal to begin with, but at 25% off, they're a steal!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.