fly fishing destination - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 06:36 AM
C&R

fly fishing destination

Hi, to all flyfishingforum members, if someone is looking for top fly fishing destination I have one for you. – SLOVENIA, Europe
I wish you all the best in 2005

Rok Lustrik
C&R

Last edited by Willie Gunn; 12-26-2004 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Please do not advertise on our site without asking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've seen photos, seems like a beautiful place.

I was wondering if the marble trout is a hybridization of introduced brook trout and the indigenous Soca trout or are they (marble and soca) both indigenous species? I have heard that the Soca is endangered as a result of introduction of outside species to the area.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:24 PM
C&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I've seen photos, seems like a beautiful place.

I was wondering if the marble trout is a hybridization of introduced brook trout and the indigenous Soca trout or are they (marble and soca) both indigenous species? I have heard that the Soca is endangered as a result of introduction of outside species to the area.

Hi, juro
Marble trout is indigenous. The slovenian name is soška postrv (trout from soca river). Latin name is salmo trutta marmoratus (marble trout, because of its colour).
(marble trout and soca trout are the same species)
We also have a hybrid between brown trout and brook trout it is called tiger trout, it is not indigenous, but good think is that the hybrid is not reproductive.

In the past our human species did a lot of stupid mistakes. One of them is the introduction of brown trout in to Soca river. So, now the problem is the hybrid between marble trout and brown trout-it is reproductive.
Our fishing clubs are investing a lot of money and effort to set things right. I am quiet sure that they will succeed, but of course the results are not expected over night.
One picture from this year 90cm. http://www2.arnes.si/~rlustr1/46TC0017.jpg
C&R of course
Good thing is that introduced rainbow trout is not in the salmo trutta family, it does not spawn at the same time as Marble trout and Brown trout. If it would that would be a disaster.

Cheers!
From Slovenia

Rok

Last edited by lustrik; 12-27-2004 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.