Flatz Boots Recommendations - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Middle Aged Member

Flatz Boots Recommendations

Got a gift cert to burn. So what's the latest in flats footware?
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 09:13 AM

they don't look as cool as the new patagonia or sims boots, but I think I prefer the old neoprene ones.
Orvis sells some that seem good, except that they are low tops.
As with all foot wear, fit and comfort comes first. The Sims and Patagonias might be the ticket. Try befor you buy. Maybe a site sponsor would let you buy a few pairs and return the ones that don't make the cut.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am going for the Patagonia Marlwalkers this year (b-day coming up). I need to try them on as they tend to run true to size as opposed to some brands that need to be purchased at higher sizes to compensate for socks and or waders. I own the Simms flats sneakers but my super-wide feet are too cramped in them. Some folks I know love them, so they need to be fit to your foot shape.

Unfortunately the shoes that work for wet wading often don't work well for use with waders w/ neoprene feet, the latter need to be up to 2+ sizes larger.

I am hoping wader companies get a clue and start offering the thinnest (durable) material for wader feet so the shoes used in wet wading can be used interchangeably.

Good arch support, durability against coral, low/no invasion of sand, and tops that protect against sting ray stings with a neutral color are best IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 02:23 PM

One to avoid

I have a cabelas low price ($40) flat boot that has a feature that should be avoided for any boot: the boot zipper is in the rear for rear entry, and the ankle is protected from contact with the zipper by a flap of thin material that lays between the zipper and the heal. Unfortunately, this also creates a pocket for sand to accumulate into. Even though I will wear a sock to keep sand out of the boot itself, the pocket has to be cleaned out after each use, sometimes even to be able to fully unzip the boot to get it off. Annoying design defect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.