Hi and Happy Christmas - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Frustrated English SWFF

Hi and Happy Christmas

As i've some time on my hands at the moment, i thought i'd send a picture of some flies i've just tied.
I hope to come over in June with other SWFF members from our forum.
Do you think my flies will cut it ?
Just trying to get a feel for diferent materials

don't be to cruel

Dave

Last edited by clouser UK; 12-30-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dave -

I suggest you send these flies over in late May so we can field test them prior to your arrival

These are definitely going to get our stripers to eat!

You might also add some very subtle patterns to this arsenal for use on the shallow flats in bright sunlight. Take a look at the Borski slider, or some of the more neutral colored bonefish flies for an idea of what I mean. Tie them a little bigger for our bucket-mouthed 36-40" saltwater bass.

The weighted eye flies serve an important function on the flats - to right the point up to fish slow in very skinny water without picking up debris. You might combine the subtle with the weighted eye concept for a winner combination on the flats, as June is the prime of the year for sight fishing.

And don't forget you will all have to have a picture taken at the CAC with Striblue.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Frustrated English SWFF

Hi Juro,

If you won't get to bored, i'll try to tie some more up.
At the moment the hooks i'm useing are Kamasan size 1 worm/bait hooks. They look a little fine in the wire but are pretty strong, just don't know how they stand up as a fly hook!
Looking back through the archives, i would guess 2-2/0 would be the normal sizes to go for and i guess sandeel type flies would be the pattern.
I've only been SWFF for a few months and as i am finding it hard to get my head back onto Trout again, i spend my time dreaming of the Striped Bass and Blues that you guys get
A little different to what we get over here!
Back soon ,

Dave
Old 12-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Since you pointed it out I am not certain those hooks will hold up for two reasons: (a) corrosion resistance and (b) stoutness. We use a 'thinner' wire hook made by Tiemco #811s (very strong stainless steel alloy) in larger sizes (1/0+) often but anything less than that and you could experience some trouble from big bass and blues. In rocky areas if using sinking lines a more robust hook is important and the 811s is not always adequate even though it's a tough stainless premium hook.

At the very least you would have to wash the flies thoroughly after each outing and land fish with more a more tender hand than is necessary to prevent bending the hooks. If you get into a pack of medium sized fish with big ones mixed in, you will tend to try to get the smaller fish off the hook quickly. A freshwater hook will cause you to baby each fish while opportunities pass you by literally.

Another environment that demands a strong hook is surf. Sometimes the surf is alive with big fish and you don't want to miss out. There are extreme forces at play when bringing a good fish to hand in the crashing surf, much amplified over the bay or flats situations.

I don't know if these hooks are tough or not but they look like freshwater hooks. I could be wrong but my objective is to provide good feedback and maybe stop you from tying a whole box full of flies with hooks that can't stand up to the task.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Frustrated English SWFF

You could well be right, although the hook in question is in fact a saltwater hook used for general surf fishing in the UK. I have dragged cod in through some fairly heavy surf, but the corrosion may be the real issue.
I would normally use a 34007 for my flies, but intend to get some TMC 811's/911's.
I'll bring some of these Kamasans over and give them a try, but make sure i've got something more substantial as a main line of attack!
While watching various flies in the water it strikes me that flatwing type flies have a real sexy action
Would single hackle flatwings have any mileage around the Cape at that time of year?

Bare with me this could take some time!!

Dave

Last edited by clouser UK; 01-03-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:32 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Dave...Here's your homework assignment!

If you want to get a leg up on your flatz ratz palz, get your handz on a copy of a book by Alan Caolo...GOOD STUFF in that book!
Consume/digest what Alan has to say and you'll be loaded for bear, or at least Stripes and whatever else that happens along while you're catchin' and not just fishin'...
There are numerous flyz with how-to tye info and chapters that will set you up nicely for your assault on the Colonies and the sandy tidal phlatz of Striper Land...
Flat wings would be fine...and a floating line...
Almost anything olive and/or chartreuse over white tyed sparse with an insinuation of flash should get you in the game...
Many of us townie local folk use a 9' 9wt+/- with a 300+/- sink tip for deeper spots or moving water and a clear intermediate for the skinny water flatz.
Sand Lance City...do a search for some of Juro's Deep Eel...(required tying!)
Here are some shots of the flatz bible and a few of the fuzzy notions that work for me...
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SightFishingBible.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	4188   Click image for larger version

Name:	SandLance2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	4192   Click image for larger version

Name:	SpringPhlyz.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	4193   Click image for larger version

Name:	PharSidePhuzzyNotions2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	4194   Click image for larger version

Name:	LapTopExtract 020.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	4197  

Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 PM
President of CAC

Make sure you let us know the dates you are coming over so we can meet and head out.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Frustrated English SWFF

Are these any better?

Hi guys ,
i tried a few clouser types

Juro,
Hooks are a better #2 stainless, TMC's on order....flies about 4" long

John,
You will be the first to know when we will be over!

Pete,
Book on order......
more flies to come, must get some more materials!

Dave

Last edited by clouser UK; 12-31-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I have great difficulty getting a feel for the size of fly pictures.

It's not just this thread, but I figured just as good as any to pick to be critical.

I like to put a tape measure (or even a coin) to give the viewer a sense of "Scale".

Stating the hook size is helpful also. If nothing is given for refence, I sometimes can't tell if I'm looking a small Juvie pattern (1-2") or a 12" monster fly.

Also, don't be afraid to get in tight!

Here is a link to an exaple of a fly I posted (from a swamp). And no, this is not some attempt to show what a great photographer I am (I'm so-so at best!).

Again maybe it's just me on the size thing?

Happy holidays GregO.
sample fly pic
Old 12-30-2004, 03:10 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Tying without a safety net...

IMHO
After a lifetime of mild dyslexial over-compensation and a career performed under large aluminum wings, in thin air, exploiting special spatial aptitudes, I almost NEVER tye from a step-by-step recipe. Creative claustrophobia?!
I've had quite enough of being told what-to-do by Air Force superiors (frequently out of touch baffoons in the middle of a second failing marriage and a career promotion crisis)...at the vise, I prefer to go "a la carte"...
...but I degress...
When I see an interesting tye, I'll discreetly undress it with my eyes (Shania Twain too! )...and then use what I see later at the vise...big flyz/big hook...etc.
My flyz start off as fuzzy notions and I progress from there...working on a hook that will lend itself to the unscripted conseptual size in my minds eye.
Matching the size and colour of the bait d'jour with an appropriate tye.
I'm always amazed when I see a hook with a few feathers, some bucktail, and flash...and the requests for detailed recipes that follow...
Set yourself free...try a little barnstorming...a little high wire without a safety net...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PhantasyFlyz2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	4207  
Old 12-30-2004, 03:20 PM
President of CAC

Question

Pete... Might you share the recipe or the photgraphic method in creating those flies.... little plastic sheets?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Frustrated English SWFF

Hi guys

First things first, i'm haveing a lot of trouble getting the picture size right !
It either stays very big or turns to a thumbnail

I didn't think to include sizes as such because i just wanted an opinion on the style of tie...
Most flies end up 3-4" long .......hook sizes for the first lot #1 Kamasan
the clouser types were on a no name stainless #2

I'll nail this picture posting lark down, if it's the last thing i do !!

Dave

ps..know what you mean about Shania Twain

Last edited by clouser UK; 12-30-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:44 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Lightbulb Johnny Scissorhandz...Just like your feather-brain flyz...

...only different!?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HearSeeSpeak.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	4205  
Old 12-30-2004, 04:11 PM

Peng,

I knew I was setting myself up for a Zing when I posted that reply, & I could have guessed it would come from you.

But seriously, my point was not about step-by-steps, or taking away the mystique. Only a simple statement that I (personally) have difficultly interperting the aize of something in a photograph without something (of known size) to provide scale. I shared this, because I figured there must be some others out there that share this ofliction.

Peace Out,
GregO.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:21 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

GregO...my apologies...

Too much 100% Columbian coffee and cabin phever!
Sometimes I can be a real monkeybutt!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MonkeyButtz.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	4206  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.