Fly Fishing Forum banner

Carp Flys ( Pop Corn)

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Possumface 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever see a pod of carp on a pond when people are feeding the ducks. The carp in these places are keyed into bread and popcorn. This can be some fast action on the surface for some big fish. Cast the fly either to fish feeding in the surface film or blind cast. Its important to get their attention so deliver the fly with as much of a splash as possible.

Pop Corn Fly

Hook TMC 105 or equivalent
Body: White 2mm close cell foam
Thread: Flat Waxed Nylon

Cut a strip of foam about 8 mm wide, cut one piece 27 mm long and another 23 mm long and trim the ends round. ( I made a set of punches out of the modeling clay cutters you buy at the craft store).
Wrap the thread along the length of the hook several times and build up a good base.
Lay the foam strips on top of each other, the shorter one on top of the longer one so that they are centered then double them over. All four ends should be about even.
Hold the foam over the hook so that the trimmed ends are about 1 to 2 mm past the eye of the hook. Wrap two soft loops around the middle of the foam and then gradually tighten the loop until the cut ends flare out. Wrap another 6 or so wraps of thread around the foam, then wrap the thread around the hook just behind the eye and finish with a double whip finish.
Turn the fly up side down in the vice and add three drops of CA glue to the thread under the hook. It should soak in under the foam.

Natrix

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool fly. Simple to tie and apparently effective. :cool:

I've never fished for carp around duck feeders or other places where the fish are used to feeding around people. Must be fun to catch 'em on top! It's also a bonus that the splash from the fly attracts the fish rather than spooking them. Probably don't have to be as stealthy either if they associate people and flailing arms with food!

Q

#3 ·
In Salisbury NH huge striped bass reside along the restaurant porches to eat fried clams, french fries, steamers, etc. They are literally no less tame than the ducks at the local pond, like the cuda stories you hear in the tropics.

It's funny, if you throw all three in they will eat the steamer first, then the fried clam, finally the fry gets it too. :hihi:

A long foam fry imitation? I would do it for a gag, but the restaurant staff would chase me with a kitchen knife for hooking their #1 tourist draw!

I can see how this would be just the ticket in the situation you pointed out.

#5 · (Edited)
Pop Corn Fly (PCF)

I have also used this fly on clooping pods of carp in open water, on grass carp in open water, and on carp in the marinas at Lake Powell. Well Powell was a blast until the Park Ranger chased us out of the marina. Some guy on the dock said oh man thats a big bass, we said "this ant no bass" this is a real tackle buster. One more thing, I can almost see this comming, no I havent caught any ducks. Actually I avoid the ducks, I would feel really bad about that if I hooked one.
The Ducks tend to avoid me because I dont feed them and I usually have my trusty dog with me to scare them away.

Natrix

#6 ·
A Carp Story

Several years ago, I was fishing at Utah Lake near Bird Island. The island was surrounded by bass boats, fishing for Wallies and Cats. I found an open spot on the south end and parked the boat. Almost before the boat stopped moving I threw the PCF on the up wind side of a large pod of big Carp, and as soon as it crossed the edge of the pod a pair of big lips came up and sucked the fly in. The fishing was like this for about 10 casts in a row, and all the fish were in the 12 to 15 lb range. About midway through this I noticed that most of the people in a nearby boat had stopped fishing and were standing on the side of the boat watching me, then after a while they sat down and got out the binoculars. I pulled up and went off to chase another pod of fish and the other boat left in a big hurry.

The next day I relayed this story in the local fly shop, then later in the day I went back for something I had forgotten on my first visit. Micky at the store said, you will never guess what happened. About 5 minuets after you left this morning a couple of guys came in with this story about some guy who came roaring up to Bird Island in his boat and started slaying them with a fly rod, we had been there all day without a bite they said, and this guy caught 10 huge fish in a 1/2 hour and let them all go, what’s up with that. Micky started asking questions like what did the boat look like, and what did this guy look like and then said oh yea we know him. He's fishing for Carp. Carp they said. Oh they said, that explains everything.

Natrix

#9 ·
reminds me of the time when i was young whippersnapper all these folks where on the bank fishing for carp with cane poles etc. and us wadding down the stream some of us had bats trying to hit the fish. then these suckers where swiming in a pool i reached down and picked up one in each hand and yelled with joy to the folks on bank " this is how u do it " :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.