Best Bonefish Hook??? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2004, 11:10 AM

Actually, I have a customer from England who also spends a lot of time in both Islamorada and the Joulters off the northern tip of Andros. He's a diehard bonefisherman. Come to think of it, I actually have two customers from different areas of England who spend a lot of time in Islamorada in addition to that fishing buddy who bought a house right behind Bonefish Bob's Tackle Emporium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 AM

the SC-15 is an amazing tarpon hook. very sticky.
as for longevity, I have found that rubber legs don't last more that a couple of years befor they dry up and break off. I find that a fly falls apart befor it rusts. maybe if I was a better tyer.
I think that Lefty Kreh had written that he didn't like the thin wire hooks for bones because they tore out too easily (soft mouths). An interesting thought.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:23 AM

I can't say that I remember ever losing a fish due to the hook tearing out. Maybe a few have, and I thought they'd just thrown the hook. I just know that I've lost far fewer fish since I've gone to that style of hook. I, too, like the SC15 Gami for tarpon. For fishing in the backcountry (Florida Bay) where most fish are under eighty pounds, it's almost a perfect hook. For ocean side fish during tarpon season I like the Aki better. I also prefer the Aki in the Everglades as the heavier style hook sinks a little quicker and getting your fly down is important in much tarpon fishing in the Glades. In fact, my guide often wraps lead strips (like we use for steelheading--look like matches in a matchbook) around the shank to increase the rate of drop.

Regarding the legs on crab patterns: That's one reason I like to tie crabs without legs. I find the plastic gel type last longer than the rubber. When they get looking really gnarly and the fly is just fine otherwise, I just cut the legs off and keep using the fly. When the whole fly looks too grubby to use I razor blade off the materials and re-use the hook assuming there's nothing wrong with the hook. That doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2004, 05:51 PM

we use the SC15 2/0 oceanside. I doubt that we have straightened more than a few in over 50 days fishing. It is hard to believe that such a thin hook can be so strong. We ocasionally have wrapped a little lead to get it down faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.