Hooks???? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
Is there an online distributor you guys get your hooks through, or does anybody know of one? Most of the shops around me carry your typical sal/steel hook, or AJ's, and thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 11:16 AM

I would reccomend Kauffmans, The Spey Shop, and Whistler FLy Fishing. They are all sponsors and can get you almost anything. I find Daiichi hooks a little more difficult to find than Tiemco.

Gillie
Old 12-22-2004, 11:54 AM
removed_by_request

call Aaron @(425) 333-4446 speyshop.com.

he can get you anything you need. great guy and a sponsor.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM

hooks

good discussion guys. Valks petite series was mentioned earlier. Does anybody have samples of these or discriptions? I am working on a series of small marabou speys for low/clear water using chicken marabou. The shorter, webby fibers create a size 10 palmered spey. Picked up some chicken Marabou in a bargain box and the flies came out suprisingly well. they look are the size of egg sacs but still had that motion of the popsicle. anybody have any smaller popsicle style flies?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:06 PM

Shaq,
I'm at the office but can post a picture of a petite. It is not a spey but rather a standard wet fly. If you have either Kustich's recent book or Supinski's book they are shown in there. I have only fished the black one and have had some luck on it when there are stoneflies in the salmon river. I will swing these deep at the same time the other guys are nymphing with stoneflies.

That creates a quick tangent. Last season I had a friendly conversation with a gentleman nymphing with stoneflies. The snow on the banks was littered with stoneflies. He thought I was crazy to swing flies because nymphs drift downstream. I simply asked him; if the nymphs only drift straight downstream how did all these stoneflies get on the bank ? .

Back on topic, I'll post a black petite for you later.

Gillie
Old 12-22-2004, 03:15 PM

Thanks I will look for it. Nice tangent, must have been march. Have you had much success swinging the smaller flies on the Salmon. One of the guys I fish with actually believes the fish respond better in the Salmon to a profile of a fly swinging in the current. That is the reason you hook many more fish on the than guys using indicators. Even the swing at the end of C & D entices more strikes than the "Dead Drift." I am trying to come up with a selection of "In between" flies that I can drift through on tips then swing the rest of the way. The chicken marabou seems to look good on the vice, we'll see on the water. In the past I have done real well with large, rubber legged nymphs.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Here's a sample of the original orange Valk Petite:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steelhead wet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	4157  
Old 12-22-2004, 04:04 PM

Thanks Peter. Love your streamer page. What size hook is that?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 PM

Thanks -- working on two new sites -- one day I'll get them finished.

The hook is a Kamasan B220 #8.

My best winter colour producer for this fly has always been yellow floss body with yellow chickaboo grizzly hackle.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK FRANCIS
ok here is the pattern we are talking about. the 200r is the right match for this pattern with a bead because some won't go over the return wire. i agree that the 2220 is THE wooley bugger hook, but this is a woody bugger. tell me that's not a good match of hook to pattern.

Do you ever use this pattern for browns and smallies? Looks like it would be great for them.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Pullin' Thread

Black Francis,

I agree with you that the fly you pictured is a very good match for the 200R. Hook return wire never poses a problem to me because I don't tie or use flies for steelhead with bead heads. I don't fish dead drift and only swing flies; therefore, I use sink tip from type 3 to a section of 700 gr Deep Water Express to take the fly down.

Gillie,

Alec Jackson markets the Daiichi 2151 as the 'Alec Jackson Steelhead Iron', but he only offers it in #4,6,8, and 10 (he calls them #3,5,7,and 9, but they are the same sizes). It is a heavier and shorter straight looped eye hook than the AJ Spey Hook (Daiichi 2050, 2051, 2052, 2055, or 2059). Alec also has a heavy wire version of the AJ spey Hook (Daiichi 2060, 2061) available in sizes #1.5 and #3, which I like to put G.P.'s on since they have less tendency to roll over with the heavyier dress of a G.P. compared to a spey or dee.

Another hook Alec markets under a different name is the Daiichi 2131 Veverka Low Water Hook. Alec calls it the River Dee Low Water Hook, but it is Veverka's hook. Alec names the sizes differenty (#3,5,7,9) than Daiichi (which sizes them as #2,3,6,8) even though they are the same hook.

Your local dealer should be able to get these hooks from Alec or from Anglers Sport Group (the Daiichi distributor for North America). Aaron (River Run Angler, a site sponsor) carries many of them and can get them quickly for you if he doesn't have them in stock since his shop is only about 25 miles from Alec, all it takes is an email or private message to Aaron.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:34 PM

I found that the AJ steelhead iron has a thin enough return wire that I can fit a cone head over it with no problem. It actually holds it in place pretty well and a bit of thick cement secures it. I have some popsicles I tied with the cone and work pretty well for higher water. I also tie a cone head steelly muddler on that hook.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

Peter,
that fly has caught just about everything, especialy in clear water. i think it makes a good emerging hex for the smallies on lake erie
flytyer,
these things are swung not deaddrifted i use tips also but like the fly to be weighted to keep it down with the tip.
Gillie,
that pnw stuff is bs the fish get just as big here in the gl as they do out west. the rivers don't get any bigger than the niagara. that hook has just as heavy if not heavier wire than a #5 aj. go compare them if you don't believe me. i have nothing against aj's or daiichi and you have seen our hook selection to prove that, but i would bet on the strength of these two side by side. aj #5 vs 200r #4. go see for yourself i have them right in front of me.
sometimes it's just a fish hook. now i too prefer a black, up eye, but that wasn't the question.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:03 PM
LBFF Mojo

Black Francis , I use that Phil Rowley pattern as a damsel imitation for big kamloops rainbows in lakes. It is my favorite subsurface trout pattern. Never thought to try it for steelhead and while I usually do not fish weighted flies for steelhead, do not see the need seeing you only have a three foot leader with a sink tip, I may give it a try.

I use the 200r for a bunch of summer patterns and it is a great lower cost hook. Too bad they do not make it a little bigger for winter use.

-sean
Old 12-22-2004, 08:10 PM

Black Francis,

Didn't mean to offend. I know they can be used, but I'm not a fan of light wire hooks in bigger rivers. That includes the Niagara. We all have our own styles .

Gillie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.