Battle for Monomoy begins - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 06:08 PM

Battle for Monomoy begins

Hi Everyone,

I am writing as promised to inform all of you, when the meetings for the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge Comprehensive Conservation Plan began. There was an article in this weeks Cape Cod Chronicle about the meetings starting in Late Jan or Feb. There was also a notification published in the Federal Register this week. No dates have been set at this time, but there was a number of ways listed to contact Mr Bill Perry (USFWS) to be put on a mailing list to receive those dates. I will attach that information at the bottom of this post.

What is the Comprehensive Conservation Plan? Basically all the usages of the refuge will be discussed and reviewed and after those discussions a plan or set of regulations will be written and approved. Basically, the plan has to be written to support the "big 6 usages" of refuge. Those 6 usages are wildlife observation, photography, fishing, hunting, environmental education and interpretation. If you have any interest in Monomoy at all, you need to be involved and you need to be vocal. Unfortunately, from my personal battle over the ferry, not all the big wigs want to follow the big six idealolgy. For example, I have been told that Seal Cruises are not compatable with the refuge. Funny the seals use the refuge as a major haul out and pupping area. In English, they live on Monomoy. Also, wouldn't seal cruises fall under environmental education and interpetation.
See where I am going with this? A lot of this also comes from pressure from the neighbors on the FWS.

Some of the more controversial topics are clamming, commercial uses and access.
As you all know the neighbors of Morris Island do not like the refuge being a public place. The list of complaints they have is as long as their driveways. Unfortunately, they have a sympathetic ear with some of the big wigs of the Fish and wildlife service, and they like to dangle their money infront of some political power houses. Your ability to fish Monomoy IS at stake. Some of the proposals I have heard are shutting down Morris Island to the public, removing the ferry service and even closing the islands completely to the public. Anyone of these individually or collectively will disrupt a unique opportunity, we have all come to love and enjoy. As you know we stopped the beach shuttles to south beach for general beaching due to the residents' crying. Well I have also been fighting against the residents all summer to keep you all going to South Beach for fishing. The residents figured they got their way on the beach shuttle with FWS, so why not keep going and stop south beach all together. The neighbors think they can put pressure on me through their sympathetic ears from the FWS and threats of long drawn and expensive law suits. Well they can just go Kiss my Swedish ass!!! The battle for the ferry is my battle, so please keep your focus on your right to have access. I am only trying to give you examples of what you're up against.

I truly feel with as many voices we have reading this forum, we can make more noise than any amount of money, but it will require involvement from as many as possible. Juro and I have been talking about this and brain storming some ideas, so please stay tuned and informed through the forum. I will continue to update you as I learn more.

Contact information to be put on mailing list:

Contact Person
Bill Perry US Fish and Wildlife Service

Phone Number
978-443-4661 extension 32

Email
Bill_Perry@fws.gov

Address
Eastern Massachusetts National Wildlife Complex
73 Weir Hill Rd
Sudbury, MA 01776

I would not waste your time and energy making calls to the FWS to complain now.
Save it for these meetings. If you can not attend the meetings, I am sure there will be minutes posted on the forum some how and then letters can be written to
support your points.

Capt Keith Lincoln
Monomoy Island Ferry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 PM

Alarming thoughts Keith. Have printed out your contact info and will get on the notification list. Simply said.....we will be there!!!!! I shared your email with my wife and her response was priceless....."if they (neighbors) didn't want to see people walking by their mansions then they shouldn't have moved there"

As far as I am concerned, in this country, for the "public" means the whole public, and not just the 2 dozen people who can afford multi million dollar homes on Morris Island. If they wanted that area pristine, then they shouldn't have built houses on that beautiful piece of real estate!

You as well as us (FF's) have not only enjoyed this piece of God's creation and have treated it with the utmost respect it deserves. We leave it in the same or better condition than when we arrived.

Hopefully this meeting/hearing will not be when I'm in Florida, if it isn't, I would love to drive to the Cape for a winter "visit".

Best Wishes Keith,
Ron
Old 12-16-2004, 07:46 PM
President of CAC

I will need to get on the mailing list... This Morris Island thing is really pissing me off... but I can only make statements at public hearings and identify the enemy.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:07 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Count me in...

Please keep us up-to-date on the meetings, Keith. I will also try to get on the mailing list. I live in Harwich and have no plans for vaca in Jan or Feb or early March, so should be able to show up and put my two cents in as a user and local doc (for what good that may be). I can also post info on the meetings in my office and tell my patients who fish the refuge to show up as well. Let's keep up the fight!
Doc Shep
Old 12-16-2004, 08:49 PM

More information

You may also visit www.monomoy.fws.gov for more information or search for the
Monomoy National Wildlife refuge home page. There are some links on the site explaining the CCP process.

Keith
Old 12-17-2004, 08:53 AM

Keep us posted I'll attend a meeting. FishHawk
Old 12-17-2004, 08:55 AM

Just a thought, is your competition behind some of this?
FishHawk
Old 12-17-2004, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the information Keith.

Hand in hand is the movement to turn ramp access at Ryder's Cove to resident only.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM

FishHawk,

You hit it on the nose. Many of the residence have their boats at Outermost Harbor, so they are pushing for Frank (owner of Outermost) all the way. Number one to get me off the refuge and second to better their relations with Frank.

One of the residence even told the refuge manger that Frank should just have it all to himself, since he owns a marina. Whatever that has to do with anything, I don't know. Frank even went as far as complaining to the refuge manager this season, because I would not raise my prices after he called me and told me to do so. Him calling me and telling me to raise my prices is illegal by the way.

If this permit goes to concession and they give it to Frank, because he owns a Marina, you better be prepared to pay big money to fish Monomoy and South Beach. He as already shown that with his prices this past season. Funny how some can't focus on anything but their pocket book.

Keith
Old 12-17-2004, 05:40 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I'll use my inflatayak...

If it comes to that Keith, I'll just launch my inflatayak from Stage Harbor and paddle out there- Morris Island dorks and Frank be damned....but we are NOT going to let it get to that!!!
Doc Shep
Old 12-17-2004, 08:32 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Sorry Doc...

Their goal is to close the cauzzway and to make access difficult to impossible.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Exclamation

We can NOT stand idle and let this happen. If there is one thing gone bad about the cape it's how private interests have locked it all up - where it affects tracts of residential land there's not much that people can say, where it affects riparian access that's still another - but when it reaches into the heart of the refuge, which by it's very name implies it's sacred nature as a place to be experienced, loved and enjoyed by the people (not the rich out of town a**holes) then it's time to draw the line; we should commit that we are not going to take this bullshit anymore.

This is one of the most important fights we will have as anglers and citizens with respect to our rights. I am completely sick of this manipulative special interest group pushing an agenda for their own selfish interests while the sportsmen and general public's rights are tossed aside.

Anyone who has or dreams of stepping onto Monomoy soil ever again has an obligation to fight for this critical cause.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:04 AM

Some time ago I talked to a townie who was in a truck looking over the causeway , he told me that they were planning on building an additional parking lot on the causeway to relieve the parking. Seems as this plan has dropped out of site. One thing we should all do is park on the causeway and not up on the refuge . If we over crowd the parking lot then we have another foe against us the birdwatchers who could be our allies. Also, don't take a leak up there if the bathrooms are closed that's all we need .
FishHawk
Old 12-18-2004, 01:25 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I agree with FishHawk- those of us in the know always park on the causeway; either at the outset or after dropping gear off at the refuge lot. We need to educate visitors and "newbies" to do the same to reduce friction. But I'll be damned if they're going to shut it down altogether....we would have to organize a "fish in" and all get arrested as a means of protest...power to the sportsmen!! Striblue could then defend us and take it to the Supreme Court if needed.
Doc Shep
Old 12-18-2004, 02:19 PM

Parking on Causeway.

Parking on the causeway is the least of our problems. That parking lot you were speaking of fishhawk, was voted down two years ago. Even my father and I signed the petition against that. First, why rip up a nice piece of land like that to put in a parking lot. Second, the parking area they designed was 35 less parking spaces than the causeway has now(80 spaces). The only thing that needs to happen with the causeway is move the pillings in about 4 feet so the cars are off the road surface to widen the driving area.

A little more history on the causeway, people parking on the causeway and walking up is where the red van came from. The neighbors complained about people walking up the hill. The pathway from the causeway to the beach was shut down last year by the Quinnesett association the blame was put on us, but remember our folks use the van. So no matter what they complain about I have always come up with a remedy. Still no one is happy.

I also think you should know that some of the leaked information to me is coming from some of the Morris Island Neighbors. There are those who live there that use the service and the refuge on a regular basis. Unforturnately, they are out numbered and have payed the price in the past for not following the majority, when it came to bucking the FWS or trying to put us out.

Another heads up, I know some of you are probably thinking about contacting Senators or Congressman. Great Idea, just know ahead over the years the residents have played that card, so you are going to have to out weigh there money contrabutions by large numbers of letters. So far, past Refuge Managers were able to fend of the political pressure from those tactics. I am not sure the current Project leaders are willing to do that.

Remember stay focused on keeping the islands open to the public and your ease of access to Morris Island.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.