Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks, will do . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Pullin' Thread

Gillie,

Whenever I fish with my good friend Bob Arnold, he does the same thing Lani Waller does at the end of a wet fly swing, summer or winter, either floating or sink tip line, even though he never mentions doing this in his two books. Bob told me he picked it up from George McCleod's father Ken and then found it mentioned in Kelson's book years after he learned to do it from Ken McCleod. I've also seen George McCleod and Russ Miller (another long time WA state steelheader) do the same thing in early summer before mountain runoff is over with a sinking line and wet fly.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 AM

Flytyer,
It is the little subtleties like the hang down that many GL guys are just starting to add in. I had a conversation last season with a friend of mine because he was always making his next cast half way through his swing. His rationale was that the holding spot was out mid river behind some boulders. We debated whether fish would follow from the lie. Although he is a committed spey rodder and wet fly swinger he still has some of that nymphing mentality engrained upon him. He was convinced that if the fish didn't take initially it wouldn't follow. It also demonstrated the notion that he continues to fish the bucket or holding lie rather than covering the water. He has changed his tune a bit as he has seen me take two nice fish this fall with my line hanging straight downstream on this run.

I will acknowledge right away that GL fish tend not to move and follow as much as PNW fish do. I have much more confidence in this technique when fishing the Deschutes in Sept then the Salmon River in Jan. This is simply a matter of water temperature. But when they do follow they tend to be a little sluggish and often the hang down has to be extended to give them time to take.

For anyone interested in this technique (although it is not complicated) I would again reccomend Waller's videos. I'm sure there is a sponsor who has them.

Gillie
Old 12-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Gillie,

I found the Red Fly by searching the Archive for your posts. I now remember seeing the post earlier this year. Very nice fly.

CK
Old 12-16-2004, 03:18 PM

Gillie

In warmer weather, I'm like your friend -- if the fish hasn't hit after the fly has "turned the corner" then it isn't going to hit. I can only think of one solid take in the past year or so that occurred on the dangle in water in the 40s or higher. I started out as a firm believer in letting the fly work on the dangle but that technique has only resulted in takes when fishing the Credit River in the middle of winter (it's one of the few easily accessible Southern Ontario rivers that has an all-year open season on one stretch and is likely to have ice free periods).

This past November, every single hookup occurred as the fly "turned the corner" and none on the dangle. Sometimes I'd leave it there and sometimes I'd pick it up sooner -- no change. I also pick up very slowly at first, just in case there's a following fish and he grabs it as the fly lifts -- didn't get a single take. I fish mostly minnow patterns so this may have an effect as well. So, now I'm only using the delayed dangle and/or the lift and drop in cold weather. I'll be out Sunday so I'll try the slow swing and long dangle to see if it picks up any hits.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 12-16-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:31 PM

Greetings from new member - Hayward, WI

Howdy from Hayward

I have just found this forum and have been enjoying the discussions. I am glad to be aboard.

I am a dedicated fly swinger and look forward to sharing info with fellow GL anglers. I live just south of the south shore of Lake Superior and fish the Tribs as often as I can. I also travel to fish the Wisconsin and Michigan tribs of Lake Michigan.

I guide and teach fly fishing full time April thru November so this time of year is my time to travel and play. I love the winter fishing. I have been at it only a few years in the winter season but have formed some opinions based on my constant tinkering.

I like to swing progressively larger flies as the water bottoms out in temp. Last season I had success with articulated patterns - skagit minnows and my own tie I call a double muddler. These patterns push 10" long and move like a high dollar pole dancer. They really catch the currents and can be controlled well.

Most of the fish I have hooked have come on the hang down and most grab like a wet piece of carpet. The rod just starts to bend to the water and then the shake starts. It is cool to watch it all happen - very deliberate and slow.

I know guys who report more agressive responses but this is what I have experienced.

I am heading over to the Oconto north of Green Bay early this next week. Any fellow fly tossers out there that might be interested in sharing some time out on the water? I write for Midwest Fly Fishing and am traveling 'On Assignment' for an article and some images for an upcomming issue (Feb).

Glad to be a part of the board.

See you on the water.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftonAngler
Howdy from Hayward

See you on the water.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:11 AM

Smile welcome

Welcome aboard, Afton Angler. Good to have you. This is a great place to get answers to your questions and follow in discussions about rigs, rods, lines, and methods. We seldom all agree; however, we generally disagree agreeably. Hope you enjoy your subscription. Best to you, Stiver
Old 12-18-2004, 08:30 AM

Location: My "home waters" really belong to the beavers........and they let me know it now and then !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AftonAngler
Howdy from Hayward

I have just found this forum and have been enjoying the discussions. I am glad to be aboard.

I am a dedicated fly swinger and look forward to sharing info with fellow GL anglers. I live just south of the south shore of Lake Superior and fish the Tribs as often as I can. I also travel to fish the Wisconsin and Michigan tribs of Lake Michigan.

I guide and teach fly fishing full time April thru November so this time of year is my time to travel and play. I love the winter fishing. I have been at it only a few years in the winter season but have formed some opinions based on my constant tinkering.

I like to swing progressively larger flies as the water bottoms out in temp. Last season I had success with articulated patterns - skagit minnows and my own tie I call a double muddler. These patterns push 10" long and move like a high dollar pole dancer. They really catch the currents and can be controlled well.

Most of the fish I have hooked have come on the hang down and most grab like a wet piece of carpet. The rod just starts to bend to the water and then the shake starts. It is cool to watch it all happen - very deliberate and slow.

I know guys who report more agressive responses but this is what I have experienced.

I am heading over to the Oconto north of Green Bay early this next week. Any fellow fly tossers out there that might be interested in sharing some time out on the water? I write for Midwest Fly Fishing and am traveling 'On Assignment' for an article and some images for an upcomming issue (Feb).

See you on the water.
Welcome !......................nice Muskie, enjoyed the profile
Old 12-18-2004, 02:06 PM

Peter,
I promised you a pic of my yellow spey. It is a spinoff of a Leblanc pattern. It might be brighter than you were looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowfly.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	4148  
Old 12-18-2004, 03:11 PM

Now that's nice - yellow dyed guinea for a collar?

I'll have to tie some up and try 'em tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:59 PM
thread killer

Gillie, nicely tied. what is the wing material?

i'll try to attach an image of another yellow fly i noticed while browsing a URL supplied by Anders on the current atantic salmon thread. named "invincible" tied by Jani Kaski. i liked the look of it, guessing it would appeal not only to salmon.

sorry, i could not figure out how to enlarge it.

Old 12-18-2004, 04:33 PM

Peter,
Yes it is dyed yellow guinea. The body id Ice Dub UV light yellow, it is a very pale yellow dubbing. To give some highlight to the body without being to aggressive the rib is pearl mylar. The wing is synthetic polar hair in yellow but marabou also works well.

Gillie
Old 12-18-2004, 04:48 PM

Just tied up a few but a quick inventory didn't turn up what I needed so I went with yellow grizzly hen, SLF yellow dubbing, and marabou. We'll see how it works tomorrow. The water is that beautiful clear, olive colour -- perfect for yellow and charteuse.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:51 PM

Question Eyes on Steelhead Flies

Here's a tie I use for bass and trout. Do any of you put eyes on your steelhead flies? Do you think they would add to the fly or are they unnecessary. I'd appreciate your opinions on this as I am just starting to get into the winter steelheading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.