Mustard 34007 hook alternatives - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 10:45 AM

Mustard 34007 hook alternatives

I am looking to tie a number of saltwater striper size flies this winter and I am deciding which hooks to use.
For flat wings I am going to use eagle Craw 254/253 hooks per Ken Abrames.
For Deceiver and half'n'half patterns I am thinking of using Mustard 34007 hooks but considering the time put into tying flies I wonder if I would be better off using more expensive hooks.
My question to other board users are what other brands/models hooks are used instead of the 34007 and why.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Flats Rat

My favorite this past season was the TMC 811S.

Lighter weight, fine diameter wire, very strong
Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Pencil me in.....

The Gamakatsu SL11-3H is another 34007 substitute. I prefer perfect ( or round) bend hooks rather than Aberdeen, however.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:26 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Daiichi 2546

Almost identical to the Mustad 34007, but chemically sharpened. The downside is that it sells for twice as much. The 34007 is an excellent hook for the money, but it must be sharpened.

Simms
Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Mr. Mom

If you can work with the shorter shank, and for big mouthed stripers you can, I recommend the Owner Aki. You can get them in 50 packs which really brings the price down. Super hook.

I've straightened 811S hooks on snags using 13.5 pound tippets! Not recommended!
Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 PM

Talking

Try the Mustad Signature hooks chemically sharpened and cheaper than Tiemco's .
The model that you want is S74S SS. Since I swithced to the Mustad Signature series of hook my catch rate went way up. Try them and you'll like them.
FishHawk.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
Try the Mustad Signature hooks chemically sharpened and cheaper than Tiemco's .
The model that you want is S74S SS. Since I swithced to the Mustad Signature series of hook my catch rate went way up. Try them and you'll like them.
FishHawk.
I think he would want the S71S as a substitute for the 34007. The S74S is the long shank version similar to the 34011.

FWIW, I just bought a box of the S74S SS (2/0) and I have to say I'm not impressed. They do seem sharper than the regular Mustad hooks, but in my opinion they're not "Ultra SHARP" as claimed on the box -- they don't even pass the thumbnail test! In addition, some of them already have a slight bend or twist in the shank so I wonder how well they will hold up in a battle. Maybe I got some counterfeit hooks? (They were mail-ordered from a non-sponsor )

Q
Old 12-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Snag? Whats a snag?

For the flats, the 811s is my top choice. The larger the hook size, the thicker the wire but it's always thin enough for delicate presentations and it lets the dressing control the action rather than the hook. I don't use lead eyes but even with the non-toxics a little keel puts the point up on the sand for stealth when sight fishing.

For rocks they wouldn't be my first choice. All depends on the situation at hand.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:25 AM

I think you got a bad box of hooks or they were not the real McCoy. All my Signature hooks pass the nail test right out of the box. By the way I have had Tiemco's that broke in the middle of the hook. Seems as if the hooks were too brittle. It all comes down to quality control. I am reporting what I've experienced .
FishHawk
Old 12-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Secret:Time on the water

I used the Mustad signature hooks this season and was very pleased with them. Good quality with affordable price, very strong and believe me they are SHARP! I have the scars to prove it at least 10 times sharper than your garden variety 34007 and I think maybe 2-5 times stronger. Never had a hook bend this season can't say the same for the darn 34007.

Capt. Mike
Old 12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Bauer Pauer

Here's another vote for the Mustad Signatures. They haven't done me wrong yet.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:57 AM

I use the Partridge CS52 "Sea Prince" for most of my larger striper flies. I like them very much. They are pricey, but I bought quite a few at a very good rpice some years ago, so I haven't felt the $$ pinch. For the money, I think it is hard to beat the Eagle Claw "Pate" model hook. I use them for my smaller striper flies; very sharp and appear to be strong. Based upon what has been said above, I will definitely try out the Mustad Signature hooks when my current supply runs out in 2031.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Squire animal

I really like the Tiemcos (811S), but they are a tad more expensive.
I also like Daiichi, but they too are more expensive.

What I tend to do is use a number of different makes - I tie the more complex patterns with the better, sharper from the packet, hooks and use Mustad 34007 on the more basic patterns.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:32 AM

I have to recomend the Eagle Claw Lc413. What a terrific hook. Works for most patterns if you don't mind the hook point up. Sharp, cheap and strong enough. Nice action and less likely to snag. If you haven't, give 'em a try this year. I'm not sure if any of our sponsors carry them, but they should.
Not striper related, but Del Brown used these hooks for his merkin the last couple of seasons.
I tie mostly clouser and hollow fly type flies.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Middle Aged Member

I've settled on the 811s for staple flys.

Also like the LC413 "jig hook" for Clousers, half and halfs, Well digger Arse type flys. My fly of 2003 was a clouser tied on this hook, that I won in one of the raffles (you tye that Eddie?).

I liked the 3407 rather than the 34007. Tin plated carbon steel 3407 holds a better point and is stronger than the ss 34007, especially in smaller sizes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.