Rhea Dee Style - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Rhea Dee Style

Well X-country skiing was great yesterday but the temperature has dropped to -16 degrees celsius today, so here is the latest creation from the vise, and yes I know the wings are not equal! Hackle is rhea, body is angel hair in a dubbing loop, wings are peacock.
speydoc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of 2004-12-12 015.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	4098  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 01:52 PM

Another great one speydoc. And I never would have picked out the wing thing if you hadn't said anything about it.

Charlie.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
didnt I see that or something similar in the Quenel fly shop? how you doing Doc? Do much steelheading this year? Going for springers on the Dean again?I got a couple 35# hotties in my steelhead week in late July this yr.Beau
Old 12-12-2004, 02:27 PM

Beau
Nice to hear from you - I was in the Dean the third week of June, we did not do so well with the low clear water, best fish beached was a mear 27lb however I got smoked by a fish in the +40lb class. We did battle for about 20 min before it got tired of playing with me! Will probibaly be back next year at the same time - I may have another river on the cards for chinook on the fly in May.
Yes that was my fly in the flyshop in Quesnel - if you know you will be passing through town give me a PM and I will give you my tell#, you are welcome to drop by.
I did 3 trips to the Skeena this fall, each time the rivers were high and dirty but fish were around if one put in the time.
I will be posting some shots of the "string leach intruder" in its original style of tie in the not too distant future.
Tight Lines
speydoc
Old 12-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Pullin' Thread

I wouldn't have noticed the wing thing either if you hadn't mentioned it. It is nice seeing some other tyers like using mottled and speckled feathers like peacock secondary, argus tail or wing, bustard, speckled or barred turkey tail, etc. as wings on dee style flies instead of the more typical white or cinnamon turkey.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:44 PM

Flytyer
This one is for you - sorry it is not the neatest, however on a 45mm Waddinton it is a monster. I tried steaming the rhea to make it less unruly, unfortunately the Argus decided to twist with the steaming. The tail hook is a bait hook, attached with a splitring and held in a straight position with soft rubber tubing - soft enough to allow flexability once a fish is hooked so one does not get leverage on the fish with the long Waddington.
speydoc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of 2004-12-14 003.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	4122  
Old 12-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Pullin' Thread

Speydoc,

I like this interpertation of the Akroyd, it would hunt well.

The Akroyd is a fly I like a lot and I always carry several tied on Alec Jackson blind eye #1.5's in my winter box with the Argus wing like yours. I think there is a lot more character in the speckled or barred feathers than when a dee is tied with plain white or cinnamon wings.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Flytyer
The Acroyd has to be my favourite Dee style - while I initialy tied it with a plain wing I have long since gone to a varigated wing and have even experimented with dyed Amherst centre tail, I am currantly experimenting with a chartreuse butt on a Waddington for chinook - very untraditional in the historic sense but part and parcell of todays evolution!
speydoc
Old 12-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Pullin' Thread

Speydoc,

I don't think tying an Akroyd variation with a chartreuse rear body or with dyed amhearst tail to be untraditional, just an Akroyd variation. Afterall, the "traditional" Akroyd was tied with yellow rear body with yearllow hackle and white, cinnamon, or variegated wing, light orange rear body with yellow hackle and white, cinnamon, or variegated wing, front body of either black floss or dubbing, face hackle of either teal or guinea.

I saw an Akroyd variation a few years ago that had a chartreuse crest feather tail with chartreuse dyed amheasrt tippet fibers over, chartreuse rear body section with chartreuse hackle, front body of black with black spey feather, chartreuse dyed teal face hackle and chartreuse turkey wing, and it was a great looking fly. The fellow who had it simply called it a Chartreuse Akroyd, and I thought that was the perfect name for it.

I've tied an Akroyd variation for use on the Hoh River for when it had some glacial color to the water that had a chartreuse crest tail, dyed KF blue amhearst tippet fibers over, rear section was chartreuse and light flourescent blue egg yarn mixed together 1:1 for dubbing (this produced a light blue-green color), a chartruese hackle over the rear body, front body was blue egg yarn with KF blue spey feather, face hackle was chartreuse dyed mallard flank, with a wing made of light blue-green turkey (made by dying first with chartreuse and then overdying with KF blue or torquoise to get the blue-green coloration). I tied it with these colors so it would show up well in that grey-white glacial color you get after a storm or a warm spell when the river starts to clear.

I strongly suspect if the tyers of old had flourescent chartreuse, orange, cerise, flame, orange, yellow, and blue available to them they would have used them on dee and other flies, so why shouldn't we?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:49 PM

Flytyer
Here,here on the last comment
Thanks for the ideas
speydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.