Atlantic salmon fly patterns - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 06:56 AM
thread killer

?

could starling nails be substituted on the smaller patterns effectively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sure. Just keep in mind that the starling feathers look different and don't have the "enamel like" coloring all the way to the tip of the feather like jungle cock nails.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:58 PM

http://www.edgeflyfishing.com/flugbindning/monster/kaski/janikaski.html (Beautiful hairving`s tied by Jani Kasi)

http://www.fluefiske.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=6 (On the far right side you will find som salmonflies=Laksefluer (NO))
Old 12-18-2004, 12:17 PM

Willie G
Steelhead will take straight yarn(and a hell of a lot of other stuff too) and I suspect Atlantics will too, if given the chance - so why do we tie ornate stuff?, for me it's to prevent boredom at the vice! Ever tried a spey version of the "willie gunn"?
Speydoc
Old 12-18-2004, 12:51 PM

My dressings have been getting easier and easier. I admire you proper tiers who can tie spey versions. The Willie Gunn was designed to be a hair wing version of the Thunder and Lightening

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 12-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Devronmac

Talking Atlantic Salmon Fly Patterns

I started tying my own tube flies last season. The most successful were the Willie Gunn and Cascade variants with jungle cock eyes. I just managed to buy a jungle cock cape on e-bay so I will have enough for years now. I have no doubt they add to attraction greatly particularly in spring and autumn. They also work well on Irish Shrimp Flies which I use a lot in trebles size 8 and 10.
I use Bucktail mostly on the tubes but also calf cair and goats hair. Anything that moves well in the water is worth using. A few strands of glowbrite add to the effect especially orangey green. I don't think the salmon are too worried about nicely tied bodies. Mine usually fall apart fairly quickly particularly after a few kelts have given them a doing !! The beauty of them is that you can strip them down and retie them in minutes and, if, like me, you are not an expert at tying a double turle knot, they sit nicely in the water on a double blood knot attached to the hook.
I met a guy in the North of Scotland who told me Polar Bear hair from the bear's scrotum was a must for salmon tubes. I asked him how you could get close enough to the Polar Bear to cut the hair. He was reticent about telling me, but he did have a nasty limp and was blind in one eye.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:15 AM
just one more cast...

oh, THAT bear,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devronmac
I met a guy in the North of Scotland who told me Polar Bear hair from the bear's scrotum was a must for salmon tubes. I asked him how you could get close enough to the Polar Bear to cut the hair. He was reticent about telling me, but he did have a nasty limp and was blind in one eye.
Unbelievable! I met a Polar Bear last spring- had to be the same bear. He offered me a wee dram of cheer, and when he filled our cups from a flask of 25 year-old Balvenie, I asked him how in the world he'd come by this treasure. Well, he said it was too strange to describe, but he did say it was a "Trade" with a Flytier from the North of Scotland.

PS- This is the only Polar Bear I've ever noticed wearing a Tartan Speedo

Happy Holidays
macspey
Old 12-28-2004, 05:11 AM

just bought the "fly tying bible" good book and only cost £14 inc P&P. its covers flys for different fish and conditions and has clear step by step instructions with pictures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.