In coastwide pusuit!!!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 03:28 PM

In coastwide pusuit!!!!!

Several years ago Bob York and I were talking about the yearly travels up and down the Coast in pursuit of the Steelhead. I discovered during this BS session that neither of us had ever put together a season where we fished in all Five States and British Columbia (and caught a fish in each jurisdiction) during a single season (year).
I was wondering if any of you other Angler Migratorus among us has considered this as a worthy "Quest"? Lots of beautiful scenery and if you own stock in several oil companies you can feel like your helping your bottom line instead of going slowly broke.
Looking at the weather and river flows around here got me thinking about this Quest again. Perhaps its a good time to be along way South, and there is still probably at least one fish left to be caught down there where the trees grow Palms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 02:43 PM

I have had that same notion come to my mind before. My best has been 3 of the 5 states and the BC province, but I've never wet a line in California. I was very tempted this fall!

A good time of the year to be a long way south? Talk about an understatement! I leaving soon for a monh of just that! And a long ways south indeed - far enough that the angle that describes latitude gets bigger - not smaller! Buenos dias mi amigo!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 AM

How far????

Hey Pescaphile, are you going to visit here in the GNW or just take your Ketchikan flight all the way to Cancun?
With California being my last date on the dance card I am nervously watching the "Monsoons" that are plowing into the entire California Coast, it may be toast!
Maybe I should house sit for you while you are gone, got fish?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:31 PM

At least as far as northern Patagonia - am really raiding the airmile account! I will only be in the Puget Sound area a day so no more fishing there this year. I'll make sure to give you a report Re: Vinos tintos de Chile y Argentina.

There's fish to be found, but as you know the weather (read water conditions) is the big problem now. It's always a matter of waiting out the weather for that window of opportunity to find the fish in either a cooperative mood or just to find them accessible.

You're more than welcome to house sit. Just let yourself in. There will even be a couple spey rods completely assembled downstairs that you can grab put to use. The freezer is full of deer and King Salmon and there's none of those nasty carbohydrates to tempt you.

Just leave a lucky fly or two as rent. Of course there's always a hitch, I hope to get a similar deal in a certain airstream come say... March?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:32 PM

Flooded out

With the Klamath at 109000 CFS it looks like anther year is going by without my getting to all the spots.
Maybe I should cash in some of my Airmiles and tag along with Pescaphile
Old 12-09-2004, 06:13 PM
LBFF Mojo

I guess I am missing something but what is the 5th state...California, Oregon, Washington,Idaho, and ....

-sean
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
CND The Spey Underground

and... Forks?

Still Living Large!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
LBFF Mojo

That is what I was thinking
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 PM

Mybe Hawaii.....

Forks is a State of mind alright, but there is a place called Alaska that Pescaphile and I frequent that actually has a few steelheads.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:26 PM
LBFF Mojo

And to think I grew up in Alaska and forgot about it.

-sean
Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 PM

Hijack

Sean, I have a greater crime, I lived 3 hours from the Thompson in the early 80's. I was more concerned with chasing girls than steelhead, while I had a pretty landing ratio, I reflect on my misspent youth. Ah the experiences I could have had over the ones I have long forgotten.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Chief of E.P.

Andre,

So I'm curious here, did you find a better landing ratio using a short shanked hook or a long drop point bartleet style?

Also were these sleek wild fish or those thick-shouldered piggy looking hatchery clones?

Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 PM

Nice nice nice, you know when we left the bar they were all sleek and trim that had never seen the barriers of a hatchery. However, one of the reasons my casting sucks I now have a prosthetic arm.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:55 PM
LBFF Mojo

Well I would not call it misspent youth. Like Sinktip says as you get older the availablility of those sleek chromers almost becomes non-existent.

From your recent time spent on the thompson I would say you made the right choice.

-sean
Old 12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Make it a double!

Andre,

At least you learned your lesson after the first arm. Some are not so lucky!!

Click here for cool art from the NW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.