quality of sage rods? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 02:37 AM

quality of sage rods?

i'm thinking about purchasing Sage Launch, or a marked-down DS2, in the near future and wanted to know how the Sage rods are as far as quality. it will be an 8wt for saltwater so it has to hold up to those conditions. any input is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 07:43 AM

Sage makes rods of very high quality. Also their customer service is top notch you won't be disappointed. The rods hold up very well in the Salt. FishHawk
Old 12-10-2004, 09:41 PM

Sage is pretty high up on the food chain for quality. Equally important to quality is customer service and repair, in my opinion. I have broken high quality rods out of stupidity. Thanks to unconditional warranties, I have been covered.

I would recommend a stiffer rod than the DS2. The action is pretty slow. If you are interested in them, go to E-bay. You can buy them by the dozen.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:53 PM

sage rod repair/replacement?

From personal experience, I can tell you that while Sage will repair your damaged rod, regardless of how it got damaged, they will NOT replace the rod or upgrade it. Unfortunately, one of their models kept separating while I was fishing regardless of what I did. Three "repairs" later plus the $30 return "fee" plus shipping got to be somewhat expensive. What I requested was an upgrade to the new xI rod but, no dice. They wouldn't go for it. From my experience, I'd look elsewhere. No matter what, my feeling is a rod should not keep separating while fishing. As far as the DS2 goes, I feel it's too slow a rod and is discontinued, anyway.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Pencil me in.....

Sage sells many flyrods and has an excellent marketing department.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Middle Aged Member

So Basser, I guess the next question is are they privately held or can I buy some stock?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

When it comes to single handers I like Sage, T&T and Scott sure makes a fine rod too. I fish the Sage RPLXi but really like the DS2 10wt, which is where the 'softer' feel is an advantage over most 10wts on the market today. In fact if cast side by side with most stiff SW 10wts for a day I'd wager your shoulder would feel better on the DS2 day.

The DS2 8wt or 9wt are fine rods but are more suitable for people with a long easy stroke like me. There are more and more folks who like stiff flyrods lately, I watch them push real hard all at the end of the stroke. The stiffness helps combat tip deflection and is good for that kind of stroke. However I prefer to load the rod as early as possible to get a deep load and release lightly, and tightly close to the path of acceleration for better loops and line speed boosted by a burst of acceleration before release. Much easier on the body, much better line speed due to loop shape and flies just as far if not further.

I guess I am becoming old school. Loading a little deeper in the blank makes for effortless casting and I can throw a whole line on an 8wt, 9wt or 10wt DS2. The 10wt suits my tastes because I prefer to seek fish that would buckle an 8wt, although they don't seem to be quite as interested as I am so I fish a 9wt.

For steelhead I would prefer a 9'6" 8wt in VPS, not much more $; for bonefish I would go for a higher performance rod in a 7wt or 8wt because of the demanding conditions, long line pickups, quick change of direction, etc. For stripers in a DS2 I would go with the 10wt and avoid schoolies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.