Need advice on Big Bunker Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 09:33 AM
NC Fly Guy

Need advice on Big Bunker Flies

We are going to start seeing some stripers on Cape Lookout Shoals over the next several weeks. They will be feeding on big menhaden. 10, 12, 14 inchers. Any suggestions on flies. These fish will be in shallow water and a freind of mine got some nice ones on Zara Super Spooks last year. I am thinking about a Crease Fly tied on a big hook with a big tail for toopwater. Any other suggestions on topwater around big bunker? Last year people got some fish over 30, 40 lbs in shallow water on cast plugs. I am hoping to duplicate that on fly rod. 10 wt. 20 lb tippet. 40 lb flurocarbon shock leader. Anything I am forgetting? I have never fished around stripers this big.
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 09:42 AM

Check out Penguin's big Herring fly. You could tie in that style for big bunker imitations. That or use Yak hair which sheds water and is surprisingly easy to cast with a 10wt. You could try Seddotti Slammers or Popovics Cotton Candy style patterns as well.

I don't think you'll need the shock tippet with that setup. 20# floro should provide plenty of abrasion resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
fish'n Hobo

Hey Capt.
take a look at the BFT flies I posted on this site. These were tied in an attempt to catch a tuna on the fly. We are coming down next week Dec. 5-11 to tag & release.
Anyhoo....I would think the Bass are feeding on the same Fatbacks?
Good luck!

Btw: as a diversion to our tuna venture.......where would one look for the Stripes?
Do they eat those 10" prevelant bluefish also?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 PM
NC Fly Guy

Jim,
How do you keep the yak hair from fouling at that length? Are you just counting on the short shank hook to keep it from happening? Have you fished those flies before? I happen to have some yakky and am planning on whipping some stuff up. Mostly white with pearl flashabou and an olive back ala Trey Combs.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you boys know how things turn out.
Big Dave,
Thanks for the suggestion on the 20 lb fluoro. I have plenty as you probably can guess. Did you come down here for albies this year?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:22 PM

I am a total convert to RLS (Striper Moon) stuff. I think they work about the same as the big patterns but are soooooooo much easier to cast. They are especially effective on the drift in current. A 14 inch yak hair pattern is like casting a towel.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:38 PM
fish'n Hobo

Hey Nate
Do you have a source for 14" hackles? I like flatwings also....but how to get the bulk of a 14" fatback bunker? Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:29 PM

Jimbo -

Right under the "Flyfishing Forum" logo at the top of this page is a link to sponsors. Scroll down to the Saltwater Edge in Newport, RI and search for their RLS hackles. Extremely long and in a wide range of colors. For more on the flatwings that Nathan refers to, Google "Stripermoon" and look around Ken Abrames' site. He sells (and is, I believe, the originator of) the RLS hackles.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:04 PM

Gordo, we've been doing that kind of fishing up on L.I. the last couple of weeks. Big flashy flies and big bass when the weather permits. It's not hard to throw the yak and slinky-hair flies with a 10 or 11 wt. rod and 400-500 grain lines. If the fish are lit up they'll hit anything with the right proportions. I use slinky fibre mixing it with angel hair every tie in, white, opaqueish(sp) bodies with a pink/yellow/brown top wing and put a big eye on it, it'll work. I'd take my shots on the fly with the big fly rather than the popper, just better chances, though it would be awesome to see a big bass crash the popper. Best so far 44" @ 30# Good luck and I wish you better weather when the oppurtunities show up
Old 12-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Secret:Time on the water

My friend Kevin is an awesome tyer and he ties a fly I have posted before, we did real well with large fish last spring on these flies. They are tied with Slinky Hair.

Capt. Mike
Old 12-03-2004, 07:52 AM
NC Fly Guy

Mike,
I can't get that stuff around here. I tied up something with the yak hair last night. It ain't pretty but I think it is fishy:

It's about 8 inches long. Lots of pearl flashabou. I like when the hair is separated while sitting still and dry, gives it nice action in the water. The yak hair gives it body and profile. Bucktail keeps it all from fouling (I hope). Peacock herl topping is just something I have always liked. I am going to whip up some other stuff tonight. Giving it a shot tomorrow. May not even see anything worth throwing it to. We'll see...

Flats,
I concur about the use of streamers over surface stuff but I am talking about these fish being in water less than 5 feet deep. And like I said, friends of mine got som enice ones on Zara Spooks last winter...I am thinking that a Crease Fly or popper would be worth a serious shot. Regardless, I am going to have one rod rigged with a topwater and the other rigged with a sinking line, so I shoudl ahve all the bases covered.

Thanks for the input everybody. Keep it coming... I will post pics if anything worth talking about occurs.

Last edited by capt_gordon; 12-03-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:08 AM

My two favorite types of flies (these days anyway) are flatwings and hollow fleyes. If you combine them, you can easily make a 12 inch fly that casts pretty well, has good profile and swims well. Basically, tie in a flatwing tail -- Kenney's saddles are the best, but others work too (even lower end dry fly saddle) -- and then 3-4 reverse tied hollow collars. Or, you can even skip the multiple collars and just tie in one collar and just flare it a lot. That said, sometimes a plain old long flatwing is just as good and is always easiest to cast. I also like the looks of some of those Skok Mega Mushy patterns, but haven't fished them yet.

Good luck -- wish I had the problem of weeks of hatchmatching ahead of me!!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:31 AM
NC Fly Guy

Jazzman,
Pretend I don't understand a thing you just said...(b/c I don't)
Old 12-03-2004, 10:13 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Smoke and Mirrors...

CaptG...
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!
The Hollow Tye involves lightly tying bucktail in the "other" direction and then, using a pen barrel tube or brass AK47 type cartridge to push (stack?) the material back in the usual direction and wrapping it tightly so the hairs splay out...thus creating a sparse and somewhat "hollow" appearance...looks GOOD with sparse flash betwen applications...
The Flat Wing style involves the use of LONG hackles tyed on the top of the hook shank, sparse flash in between layers, and some bucktail to form wings and cheeks...thus insinuating a long motion-prone profile with minimal bulk...
The "special" hackles can be had from some of the site sponsors (Bear'sDen and Rod Builders Workshop and SaltWaterEdge)...
...(or locally from perveyors of Whiting Rooster Saddles where you know who gets his premium you know whats!)

ps
In both the Hollow and Flat Wing styles...Sparse is key to acieve hollow bulk and castability...
Tying thread (mono or flat waxed nylon) should be strong enough to allow sinching down to achieve the desired flair/spley...
After you're done at the vise, drown the fly under a stream of HOT water from the tap...
The hotwater flowing over/thru the material will lend a streamlining effect while still maintaining the hollow appearance.
Tastes GREAT...LESS philling!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HollowTye.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	4052   Click image for larger version

Name:	ballyhoo1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	4053   Click image for larger version

Name:	PhatPhly.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	4054  
Old 12-03-2004, 10:22 AM

Sorry for the rushed response -- I guess it was pretty incomprehensible, but those two styles (hollow fleyes and flatwings) are discussed a lot on various boards and there is a lot of online instruction regarding both. Penguin has got it right and posted two nice versions to illustrate.

I don't know the rules about posting links to other sites, but if it's ok, check out www.aswf.org and click the flies link under Bob Popovics name and you'll get an article, instructions and pictures for hollow fleyes. For flatwings, there's also lots of instruction available, on Kenney Abrames site (www.stripermoon.com) and on Fly Fisherman magazine's site. The two techniques combined make a nice big fly. Maybe I'll try to post a pic, but when I tried in the past, I got an error message saying my file was too big and I don't know how to correct that problem. Sheesh, I can barely even get out a coherent post .....
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM
fish'n Hobo

Jazzman...you are doing great.....good stuff!
Pete....very nice flies....something to strive for!
I do like the idea of a Combo...flatwing/hollow flie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.