Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bush Admin. Proposes Habitat Reductions

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Good evening,
It was reported today that the Bush Administration has proposed 80% reductions in habitats designated for Endangered West Coast Salmon and Steelhead populations! These reductions will affect the states of California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho
Twenty groups of Salmon and Steelhead on the Pacific Coast are under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.
I will be following this as it unfolds and will bring regular updates, but now is the time to start voicing your opinion on this action! Lets send a strong message to Washington, that removal of listed habitat is NOT in the best intrest of these Endangered fish!

Deerhawk

#2 ·
There was another thread started on this earlier today on the Pacific Northwest Steelhead forum and one of the posts has the NOAA-Fisheries link in it to make it easy to go right to the source and read the complete proposal (yes, all 400+ pages are available online). I highly recommend those interested in this issue read the entire proposal and not just the press release (which hasn't been reported accurately).

#5 ·
Good!

Flytyer,
Thanks for consolidating these two posts and your research. I urge all to read up on this. Take the time, as it is VERY important. This is one of the things that you can do to perpetuate this sport for future generations. Lets not let a "Foothold" to get established!
I will be posting regular on this matter.

Deerhawk

#6 ·
Deerhawk,

ABSOLUTELY! But we must remember that a lot of this is being driven by federal court decisions which are negating, changing, or putting into limbo water law and land protections. Unfortunately, federal judges are appointed for life and the ones who have been making these decisions have been in their positions for 6 or more years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.