Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonefish Question

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jamie 
#1 ·
Heading down to Sanibel Florida for 3 weeks, beginning on 1/15. I know it's not the best time of year for fishing, previous years only caught ladyfish and seatrout...but they are fish.
Was thinking of driving down to the Keys for a couple of days while we are in Florida...probably Bahia Honda area and try for bonefish.....anyone have an opinion as to whether, given the time of year.....it would be a waste of time or not?
Obviously if a cold front hit, I wouldn't even consider it. Any info would be appreciated.
Ron

#2 ·
I have fished the Key Biscayne area near Miami in Dec. and there were huge bones cruising the beach. Some of the largest bonefish in the keys reside there. There are flats off Florida Point there that fish very well but you'll need a boat. You will also have to hope for no wind and surf to fish the beach areas. I had one of those days but they are scarce!

Phil

#4 · (Edited)
Florida

Paxton,

Going to be that way on the 2/15, make sure you leave some fish for me.

Someone recommended the ferry from Fort Meyer for $99 return to Key West. Gets you there quicker and saves on the 6 hour+ car journey. http://www.xp2kw.com/

This might also be of interest to you :

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=95444

Be interested in hearing how you get on.

#7 ·
Hi Paxton
I have fished all over the Keys on lots of occasions. There are bonefish there and extremerly big ones but they are so difficult to catch that I believe that the Keys can't really be called a good bonefish location. However if you are really keen to do it some of the best guides in the area can be contacted through Sandy Moret's Shop in Islamorada.

Pete

#8 ·
Pete -

Apparently you clicked on the terms and conditions without reading them, as we all do :wink:

Direct links to non-sponsor sites are not allowed unless your intent is to recruit them as a sponsor, in which case you would have sent an email to them suggesting the virtues of supporting us. Don't forget to cc:sponsorships(at)flyfishingforum.com

The longer explanation is available under FAQ above, or as a sticky post under the main board.

Your link has been removed, let us know how you would like to proceed.

Aside from the direct link, good to have another bonefisher in this board.

#14 ·
I am not sure. Going to be that way in February, hoping for some redfish, cobia and perhaps Jacks. As if by chance Mike (Gogga) is going to be in Orlando with his family. I am going to drive by and "kidnap" :devil: him for a few days fishing.

It looks like we will be heading down to the Keys. I am going to have to tax your knowledge beforehand. This part of the US is new to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.