Highlights from 3 months on the river - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Highlights from 3 months on the river

The fall season is over and it is time to dig out the sinktips. I want to thank all the great fishers in the spey community for the good visits and the flies that now hang on my refrigerator. The guys I meet at the same campground and drifts each year. The guy from New Zealand who corked me. It was ok as it was his last day of a 6 week trip. I remember the fish exploding on his orange wobbling waking fly. We had the privilage to see Lani Waller preview and read a chapter from his new book. It should be off the press about now. How about the 2 Italians who had a fish on every time I turned around. I finally sat back to observe their methods. It turns out they never cast over 50 feet. Next year I must learn to shorten my casts. I spend too much time booming out a nice tight loop. It is fun to have one grab it out there 90 feet or so. This year I can only remember one caught over 70 feet out. I met one old timer with a single handed rod who caught lots of fish. He used no false casts. The line went in and out. It will be wise for me to shorten my cast and think about presentation. My lesson to the Spey fishers is to learn to cast. Then we all want to cast far out and thats ok. But, when fishing wade to your knees and cast short. Now the fish will start to come. Jerry
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
wet fly-
Lani's new book is out and I've sat down (when business is slow ) and read through parts of it. It is excellent...I will be picking up a copy for myself pretty soon.

Speaking of the past 3 months (fall steelhead fishing), what an excellent 3 months they were. The rivers, the company and the fish all treated me very well...

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 11-27-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2004, 06:15 AM

Wet Fly,

Thanks for your encouragement and advise, you've been a great inspiration to me. I'm looking forward to seeing you next year.

Now that I too can get my line out there, I will take to heart your advise.

Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2004, 04:23 PM

Ed, Good to hear from you. I think the steelhead went right by the Snake and hung out in your neck of the woods. Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.