Fly Fishing Forum banner

Float Tube ?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Hawkeye 
#1 ·
I have a float tube that I haven't used in about 6 years. I'm thinking of pulling it out and using it this summer. My concern is what is the life expectancy of the inner tube, and should I replace it before using it? Does any one have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
John, I have Art Burton's give away from several seasons ago. I think I increased the tube size on my own, but I haven't experienced any deterioration in the time I've had it, now two, maybe three seasons. My experience with truck tire tubes is thus: If they have no visible deterioration and don't deflate from full within three to five days, then you're golden. It takes a hell of a lot; sun, heat, abuse, ignorance to get one to the point of disuse. I have several I use at the lake each year for goofin, and they sit in the barn loft winter after winter, and keep coming back to life each year. In fact, I didn't deflate the float tube last year at all, and it's still fully inflated as I write this.
Dave.
(modified to correct keystroke errors)

#4 ·
My tube was punctured in a number of places by some heavy duty pricker type bushes. I fully deflated it and then put in a can of fix a flat followed by full inflation and a lot of rolling around. No problems since and I don't need to worry about other minor holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.