Getting going - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 10:41 AM
CantAnchorUs

Getting going

Turkey day is over so it must be time to tie. Been having a love affair with this DNA stuff all season. Here`s a couple of proven patterns I`ve been tweeking all summer. One is a Silverside, the other a Bay Anchovy. They`ve caught Blues, Bass, Bonito and Albies, so I think they`re ready.
Slinger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-12-08 15-43-31_0004.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	4004  
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 10:50 AM
CantAnchorUs

Had more pics, better. But when I try to post them they have to be reduced to the size of a postage stamp! Why can`t I put up a decent sized pic?
Slinger
Old 11-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Pencil me in.....

I can attest that these little guys even work on a floating line! Beware, Slinger has bought all the DNA....Biotech firms in Cambridge have had to shut down for the long weekend until they re-supply! I heard that he will be bringing a shopping cart to all the shows and getting there real early to empty the shelves. The only way I can get my hands on some of that DNA stuff is to grab a few flies from Slinger when he isn't looking

Nice camerawork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2004, 12:30 PM
President of CAC

I have a DNA sand Eel which was very successful at the end of the Summer on Monomoy, and it will be in the Winter issue of FlyFishing New England Magazine. Ties all with DNA and basically a tiny clouser.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The limit is not size but bytecount which is not just a matter of widthxheight but resolution. If you are finding that you have to reduce the size, try reducing the resolution instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
Had more pics, better. But when I try to post them they have to be reduced to the size of a postage stamp! Why can`t I put up a decent sized pic?
Slinger
Old 11-26-2004, 05:16 PM

My order is in!

Slinger, how can I reserve a bunch of these for my next trip East? I don't have DNA up here, all I've been getting is DCW (Darn cold weather)
Old 11-26-2004, 11:39 PM
CantAnchorUs

Pete, you say the word and I`ll have a CARE package on the way lickety split. I really love the way this stuff moves in the water. Comes in 44 colors. I like to compare it to diamonds and pearls, not sparkely but lusterous, if you get my meaning. A little midge flash, in differant colors, adds all the flash you want.
This stuff is very soft so these are done in the surf candy style to prevent fouling. I`m working on a peanut pattern, done a la Buffy, the first ones were promising, hope to have it ready by show time, and a Bonito fly I`ve been running around in my head.
They have come out with a new product they call Fusion, which is a mix of DNA and a new type of flash called Chromozone, that I saw the first samples of at last years shows. Looked real nice and will eliminate one step in tying. Limited supply and hard to come by as of yet.
The Silverside was done on a size 1/0 Varivas 990s and the Anchovy on a Gami sc15 size 1, this was for the end of the season when the bait had grown, have to downsize for earlier.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.