Ridiculous Clave... cont'd - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

OK - although super affordable Caymans is out. My vote is starting to gravitate toward Acklins... which is totally rIdIcUlOuS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 PM
resigned

I just got the OK but must spend the following week some where else where it's warm with my wife and family for our wedding aniversary. May just plan the return leg and meet them in Florida for a flight back out to Green Turtle Cay! From what I've read, Little Cayman has little bones. www.caymans.com/lcfishing.html

Phil
Old 12-13-2004, 07:44 AM

acklins

i am okay with this choice . Juro check out this web site www.VRBO.com/49576
Old 12-13-2004, 07:53 AM

Acklins Rental site

That was a great site for house rentals...

Did I read it correctly though....the $1500 was for ONE half of the 4BR unit ?

So it would be $3K for the whole unit....still may not be bad if you have enough people..

thanks for the interesting site.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Thanks Griz - that's the exact same link I posted a while back We're on the same wavelength. However it was $1500 per unit, $3000 per week - but if we take the whole unit we can negotiate a workable price.

With 8 people, the cost at this rate would be $375 ea / full week. I verbally negotiated a lower price w/ reduced linen service if both units are taken; however I would like to see how low we can go.

I also like the Crooked Island cabins (link above) and the lady was quite nice. Also negotiated a lower price w/ reduced linen service.

A $4 ferry ride separates the two islands, ideally we would split the stay to mix it up. Both sides have an airport and car rentals.

This is a primitive area but boasts ridiculous fishing. My preference is starting to gravitate toward the unexplored... thoughts?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Here was the round-up for Crooked Is. once again... a split stay Acklins / Crooked would be the ultimate iMHO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Here are the details for Acklins / Crooked Island

I've negotiated a weekly rental at Casuarina Pines, Crooked Island of $600 per week for cottages with two double beds each.

http://www.crookedisland.biz/pagrpv.html

Hylena will arrange rental cars for $60 per day, possible week discount. This should mean $15 per day each up to four; two cars if 8 people, etc.

Therefore:

Not counting the flight to/from Nassau

Nassau to Crooked Island $135
First night lodging in Nassau $50ea
Lodging for week $300ea without cots
Rental car for week $105
Food $100ea (600-800 shared for week)
Bonefishing till we drop... priceless
Return to Nassau $135

$800-ish not including the flight to/from Nassau. Not as budget-wise as Eleuthera but notbably less than Berry Is. quote.

Extras:
  • Fishing with guides at one of the lodges (Greys Point, Acklins Lodge, etc.)
  • License for taking of lobster (they are 100ft away from the door) $20

Each cottage sleeps two adults, plenty of room to add a third but at these rates why bother.

I will draft up a plan for Acklins vs. Crooked but keep in mind there is a $4 ferry to get from one to the other and the total length of both islands combined is about 15 miles.

It might be fun to split the week between Crooked and Acklins keeping the cost about at this level. I suspect the $4 ferry would not get the car across the channel so we might as well consider it.

However, these two provide 1000 square miles of largely unfished flats, perhaps the most ridiculously untapped bonefish mecca on earth.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:39 PM

Where do I sign?!?! Crooked looks great, the date works and the price works for me. Does this mean we're getting close to the next step (deposits, etc)? I want to make sure I have the cash ready to go. How will we do this, some type of paypal account or checks by mail. My lack of knowledge on the area has kept me from helping in the planning stages, but I'd be more than happy to lend time and effort to these next tasks. Let me know what you guys think.

Dave

Last edited by Dave17; 12-14-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 PM
resigned

Anyone spot any good photos from the air on the net with roads leading to the areas that are accessable on foot? A road map of both islands would be imperative to our exploration. The Bahamian Ministry can be very helpful if we can find a contact. I will volunteer that effort. Donna McQeen on Andros knows everyone in the Ministry from various islands. I think it would be wise to hire a land based guide. Not neccesarily a fishing guide, but one who knows the island well and needs
a little money. I have had very good luck with this on Andros and in the process, made some very good friends. The people who provide lodging are usually very accomadating and can help us find someone to show us around. The Bahamas have a great people to people program. Very cultural and one of the more memorable parts of some of my visits. One fellow I met walking down a road to another flat on Andros invitited me into his home and later climbed a coconut tree in his back yard and served some very delicious vegetables he had grown. I left with a full belly and some great memories. I then invited his family to my place later that evening for drinks. The following day he showed me two flats I was unaware of. Ha!!!! Here we go again! I can go on and on. Can wait to be back.

Phil
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 PM

Phil -

The islands probably only have a few main roads. The ferry between is $4. There are 1000 square miles of flats.

You're right but I don't think we'll have much problem getting around. Virtually all my recon last year was during the flight from Nassau, and it paid off.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:22 PM

I like the look of the inside lee shore on Crooked and the structure on the inside of the end of Acklins facing Crooked.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 PM

And we need no more detail than Peter Loud provides free...

http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina/bahamas/crooked_ack.html
Old 12-15-2004, 07:31 AM

unexplored sounds good to me. we can find our own piece of paradise
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 AM

I read that it's not unusual to find schools of a thousand bones roving the flats in the bight of Acklins
Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 PM
resigned

Juro. I have valuable info from Stephen Vletas regarding Crooked and Aclins. Please PM me your email addy as I want to cut and paste his reply. Can't do that on this site and it's pretty long. Mosquitoes will warrant some 'Bug Off' clothing.

Phil
Old 12-16-2004, 05:06 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Pull the Trigger

Juro, I've got to say that you may be more enthusiastic about this trip than I, but not by much. After reading the data on both Acklin and Crooked, I don't think you can go wrong with either!

After digesting and analyzing the data for both, what is your call? Both sound awesome. I'm aware that being cost-effective is a factor, but access to a plethora of flats would be my objective. A place to sleep, eat and shower is secondary for me.

If this area becomes the preferred one, are we looking at mid-March? If so, the sooner I can make reservations to get to Nassau, the better. Also, are we looking at a week of fishing the locale? If so, then we are looking at a 9-day trip minimum. No problem for me, but others?

If there are details that I can help you with, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

After the first of the year, I'll be in Florida, to celebrate my dad's 92nd. Of course, since he is just north of the Keys, I need to spend some time in Islamorada. At the end of the month, I'll be at the Somerset fly show.

Your passion for one- and two-handed fishing is only surpassed by your desire to help others.

Simms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.