Ridiculous Clave... cont'd - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bill -

Good to hear from you!

The more the merrier as far as I am concerned especially if we go to Acklins / Crooked Island. The weekly food budget will go to $1000, but no change per person. I think we must sign a pact to bring lobsters home each day

However, 10 is probably the limit so if you are truly interested we will set the initial group at the current headcount.

Who will be coming with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 01:28 PM

Back to Eleuthera...

Bonefishmon -

Thanks for the sleuthwork again!

Eleuthera:

Flights
There are lots of flights from FLL to Eleuthera including big names like Continental for about $300, where Bahamasair wants $150 one-way. The charter would be a blast and is a good price but there are big restrictions on baggage weight we need to consider. I am not sure we gain much via charter in this case since we can get to FLL and hop to Eleuthera same day without a charter. As I've often mentioned before unlike Berry or Acklins there is no need to go to Nassau when going to Eleuthera, and the fare to FLL is dirt cheap knocking the cost down to about $800-900 for the week as I saw it all-inclusive.

Furthermore, the flights run every day so we can chop it to a 5 day 4 night affair cutting lodging, food and car costs and getting it done for about $750 total before personal extras like guides and tequila.

Eleuthera is just fine by me costwise, and sounds like a no-brainer for the couples clave however I will s-t-r-e-t-c-h for Acklins because of it's pure insanity. The overwhelming percentage of bones in Acklins will have never seen an angler, let alone a fly.

Lodging
I am sure you found a great spot but we should be able to get quite a lot less IMHO. For instance, this beautiful cottage in Gov Hbr would cost a party of 8 less than $30 per day:

http://www.duckinncottages.com/Floras.asp

Many others were listed. One of the reasons I am high on Eleuthera is the abundance of lodging options at great prices for groups. It's ridiculous!

If possible could you put a three level summary together? Budget, middle and best affordable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
I found a RT charter to Governors Harbor from Ft. Lauderdale for about $1900 divided by whichever number of passengers it takes along. Plane will hold eight comfortably. There is a $12 departure tax plus landing and takeoff fees.
My contact will attempt to arrange some other group to come back on the return flight or come out with them for our return flight which will reduce the cost even more. Housing is being looked into and I'm told this spot is DIY friendly and she books these trips on a DIY basis quite often. She didn't even know it was a problem elsewhere! At this point housing is looking like around $70 per night for a party of eight, on the beach, in a villa. We can rent boats or a Jeep Cherokee. All total about $1200 per person for eight + food and drink. I really like the Acklins as a destination but it may be tough on some of the other wallets. Only one problem with the Berry's = cold fronts.

Phil
Old 12-04-2004, 10:34 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Juro
If we come, I'd be joined by my old trout, salmon, tarpon and bonefishing buddy Larry Solomon we just haven't finalized our bonefishing trip for next year. We would need to clear with our schedules and family (my wife usually joins me for our yearly Bahamian trips). There's a lot we need to juggle, but would try to make some decisions before year end. Looks like it could be fun.
Bill

Last edited by wrke; 12-05-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
resigned

Juro. Please give me a few more days on The Berry's as a possibility. Crew of eight for seven days.

Flight to Ft. Laud---$160-$200 RT
Flight to Great Harbor----$230 RT
Lodging---------------------$350 per person
Food-------------------------$100 per person
Boat--------------------------$105 per person
as a shuttle or three per boat on the flats rotated.
Misc.-------------------------- $50 one night stay in Ft. Laud . for AM flight to Great Harb
Harbor. If we all arrive in FLL in the AM, ,no overnight.

Total ---------------------$1000 complete package.

Still waiting on alternative lodging inquiries.

Phil
Old 12-05-2004, 10:05 PM

cool...

any options leaving FLL will save $, e.g. eleuthera

do you have links to lodging, and what about car rental?

do you still have concerns about cold fronts so far north?

thanks again
Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 AM
resigned

Berry's

I have a charter flight lined up out of Ft. Lauderdale. A villa on the beach which I am trying to negotiate with room for eight. Cars and boats are available as well as guides. Cold fronts are always possible that far north but if we can get a sweet deal on housing, let's just consider it before we close the door .

Phil
Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 PM

NEWS FLASH - add one more to the vote

I saw a commercial on Monday Night Football for cayman islands air - $380 rt

Looked on line for lodging, similar cottages for groups were found for similar prices.

This could be interesting... doing some research.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
resigned

A hurricane hit them very hard this fall. Perhaps that is why flights are dirt cheap. Business must be slow in Grand Cayman! There are bones on Little Cayman and a lodge. Inland ponds and canals provide good fishing on Grand Cayman according to Stephen at BFFG.

Phil
Old 12-09-2004, 10:39 PM

Check this out!
http://www.caymanairways.com/special...ls.html#boston
Old 12-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Swinger of Flies

Bad News for me.....

Juro, Gentlemen:

I hate to face this cold, hard reality but the current state of my personal affairs is regretfully causing me to bail on this trip. It figures as I've wanted to chase Bones on a fly for many years. I thought it was all going to pan out - but its not looking good. I hope I am not throwing too large of a monkey wrench into the final planning stages. I'll look forward to a great, lengthy, detailed report of this Clave upon your returns. I'm sure there will be campfire stories told over scotch at the Sandy Clave. At least this year I can make the Sandy Clave.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:24 AM

Sorry to hear that - you've certainly earned a trip like this and I enjoyed meeting you twice and was looking forward to doing the crazy bonefish gig with you. Everyone understands how reality strikes. It's our loss that your enthusiasm will not be on our squad this time.

Keep your head low out there and please let's plan to hook up in steelhead country when your tour is done buddy! Best of luck with your AK gig and come out to Cape Cod's striper flats sometime as our guest.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
resigned

Little Cayman Island has a brackish inland watercourse called none other than "Tarpon Pond'. 15 - 30 lb. tarpon available! Site did not say what time of year is best for this fishery. What amused me is a claim that Little Cayman has the best bonefishing in the world? Hum--------. This is getting interesting but we must act soon.

Phil
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM

How does third week in March sound to everyone? One of the places we have on the short list TBD, but this time frame?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:34 PM

The March date looks good for me so far.....

Re: Little Cayman
....did that years ago...the Bonefish were extremely small...
mostly the bones would be mudding and you would cast little fry baits into the mass........you could catch a lot of very small bonefish that way but it got old very quickly.

The Tarpon pond did have baby Tarpon in it but could not take many people fishing it at the same time.....had to go in row boats with the guide.

If it ends up being the Caymans I would have to bow out and leave a slot open
for someone else....just my personal preference.....
Old 12-10-2004, 04:36 PM

That date works for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.