Fly Fishing Forum banner

Kayaks

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I told you guys when I first joined the board, I had a lot of questions. I'm just making good on my promise. Several people have mentioned using a kayak when fishing for stripers. I believe I have good kayak waters on Long Island Sound. Where do I start? I'm a true beginner. I need advise on length, width, type, construction....everything! By the way. I did great with the sun glasses. Action Optics at 50% off.

Jimmy

#2 ·
Jimmy ,all I can tell you is that I have a tri-balance and I will give you more details on it but there is a web site on that kind of kayak which has pontoons for stability. I think there are others on this site which use Kayaks as well. I know Marvin and Doogue have them as well as others who's names escape me for the moment. Did you also do a search of this board because I think there may be a long thread on this in the archives.

#3 ·
Hi Jimmy -

Did a search on the word kayak in Stripers and on Flyfishing Gear (hold the Ctrl key to do multiple selection) and it came up with lots of reading...

(link removed - temp results only work on the computer where the search was first done)

#5 ·
Jimmy, This is something else to think about. I am not knocking a kayak, but, I bought one 3 years ago, aftre looking at many. I bought a Necky Ganett. It was OK in the salt ponds like Quonny, and Charlestown, also running in and out of the breachways, but landing in the surf I rolled it over everytime as being old I couldn't get out of a tight cockpit without rolling. I think kayaks are very tightand after a couple of hours is uncomfortable. Here is my alternate. Get a small inflatable, carries 650lbs, 3 persons, weighs 25 lbs, and with a wooden floor you can stand to cast. Mine is brand new, which I bought after watching 2 guys several times fish outside the surf line at Quonochotaug, and kill the False Albacore. Just had to throw in another alternative. The only thing I am wondering about is how it will hold up landing on the beach in the surf amoung clam shells, stay tuned.

#6 ·
Jimmie...I've got a Pungo...big enough cockpit to ease entry/exit, room for gear, tupperware material that's durable, not big buck$, and I could go on...Where abouts do you live? The North Cove Outfitters have a great selection and it sounds as if you need to do some tire-kicking. I use the kayak to get me to where I can get out to wade the flats/shallows...last year I got an early keeper from under the bridge below the Holyoke dam on the Connecticut River...she dragged me around for 10 minutes while WE decided how best to catch 'n release...It gets me away from the clowds and into some interesting spots...You are alot closer to the fish and better tuned in to what's going on...It's a nice tactic but treat it with respect!
Safe paddling!

#8 ·
Jimmy, I thoroughly researched this same subject last year. spend acouple months checking online, then tried about a dozen in the water. my advice... PUNGO!!! bulletproof plastic, tracks as if it has a keel, is fast, and when you drag it onto the rocks to land it won't bring tears to your eyes. one of the guys around here had on on his car(wasn't tied down) that fell off at 35mph... no damage... if it was fiberglass, trashed. I myself screwed up last year and tied mine on my rack, but before I tied the front rope moved my explorer to make way for a boat to launch. the rope got caught in the front tire tread and literally folded the pungo in half!!! :( man, I freaked out) there I am with my new yak on the roof rack and folded so it went over the drivers side window. I jumped out, cut the rope and threw the pungo on the ground(still freaking out). everyone at the ramp is looking at me sadly. I jump up and into the cockpit and pop!!! back in shape, A OK!!! whew! so if you're a space cadet like me or just want a great,fast,good tracking,fun,stable,durable, kayak to fish from ... Pungo!
but try a few out though, personal taste in yaks is like personal taste in women, some like lean and mean, some like big and comfy.
Tom D

#9 ·
oh yeah, forgot to mention I tested the yaks on windy days. do the same or you won't know how well they track in the wind, and this is very important! Tom D

#10 ·
Jimmie...There's something to be said about being towed around by a Big Blue...the challenge arrives at the side of the craft with sharp teeth and an attitude. A lipping device helps turn the tide in you favour. Everything not secured by a teather is in peril (sooerorlater).
I don't take the YAK out in terribly open water since I prefer the estuaries, coves, flats, and more user/YAK friendly waters. A long bungee allows me to get out and wade fish while always being "attached". There is a comfortable learning curve and after a short time you'll feel secure (don't forget your float-coat!). The YAK opens up interesting horizons while you get a workout!
Cheers...

#11 ·
Tom,

You should send that story to the manufacturer. Or better yet have them read it hear. That is a great testimonial!

PS I did the same thing with my colman ramx 17. I only bent it a little but it did not bend back. So you are not the only one to have done that and I feel better knowing I am not the only one. :)

#12 ·
You should also talk to Don Baker of Sesuit Creek Outfitters in East Dennis (mid-cape). He is very knowledgable on the topic of kayaks and carries a large variety in the shop. I have been interested in the Ocean Kayak sit-on-tops, they are really stable and although they aren't made for speed like the eddylines they are so easy to get on and off. They self-bail, have watertight storage, and come in a tandem model too for those who are lucky enough to have significant others who fish.

Inflatables have piqued my interest too.

He also offers rentals and has a yak guide working out of the shop. His location is right next to the Brewster Flats, making a rental more than just a paddle session.

#13 ·
I own a Ocean Kayak sit on top and I love it. I have the Frenzy which is their smallest (and cheapest :) )yak. I love it for fishing out of and it is great in the surf as well. I even take it surfing in the waves when the dog days get around in August. It is light and easily carried on the top of my car. It is self bailing as Juro said, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. I really enjoy it.
Nick

#14 ·
Nick - good feedback, thanks. Does water seep in thru the bailing holes? I know that the skirted cockpit models force one to either mess with the skirt -or- take water inside, which does not bail. Do you have any opinions on the inside cockpit verses the top rider w/ bail? Thanks in advance.

Juro

#15 ·
Juro,
I am a rather big person and water does come in through the holes into the cockpit. It doesn't make for much problems in the summer when its warm, but in the fall it was kinda annoying. I purchased some scupper plugs to fill the holes over the winter, but have not had a chance to try them out. You don't really need to have the self bail if you are not in any surf, as the water buildup from fishing and paddling is minimal. I don't have much experience with a real skirted kayak. The main reason I bought this one was that it was a great combination between fishing, pleasure paddling, and surfing in it (which is a real blast;-)). It is also made out of rigid plastic that can be "welded" with a torch and plastic rods if the need arises. If you want to try it out sometime, let me know. I am going to start bringing whenever I fish, just in case!
nick

#16 ·
I had an "Ocean-Kayak" sit-on-top and it was fun but gear storage was a problem and the getting wet experience was almost assured...'got into some big blues off RacePoint at PTown and had quite the sleigh ride...I sold it a few years ago and picked up a Pongo with its large cockpit (easy in/out). The skirt goes on when I'm paddling any distance and then off for fishing. I'll have it at the Cape this year and you're more than welcome to try it.

#17 ·
2 big points here ... the kayak dealers refer to tandems as divorce boats! and for good reason. you might wanna go one place , the wife the other, bam! argument! 2 yaks are always better than one (even if you buy the other someplace else)they said. the other is warmth : recreational yaks like te pungo are good almost all year, the s-o-t yaks are for warmer water/air and are great for that. but you'll miss out on alot of fun in early and late kayaking. in fact if you go to estuaries, you can yak year-round. Tom D

#18 ·
I recently bought TWO (!) Pungos.

At one time I was a class IV (expert) white water kayaker. The Pungos are decidedly the opposite of a whitewater boat. For an inexpensive boat they certainly appear to have an interesting design that should track well and behave well in reasonable waves. A whitewater boat provides foot and thigh braces to allow you to "lock into" the boat. That's great if you can roll the kayak (i.e. use the paddle to flip yourself upright if you flip over), but more than a little unnerving if you can't and are in fact somewhat trapped. The big cockpits on the Pungos should eliminate concerns in that regard.

Although my wife and I do paddle a canoe together occasionally, I did decide that two kayaks would be best (besides, she could pick her own color).

The poly is pretty slippery and I haven't figured out how best to transport them. I think a cradle support may be best. Goose Hummocks (Orleans) did show me how they use tie downs to the hood support struts on the vehicle to get a more vertical hold down, in contrast to the usual bumper tie down for a canoe. Perhaps someone can offer suggestions on rigging the racks.

As others have noted, there certainly are aesthetic issues involved in selecting a boat. I thought the Pungo was well designed, utilitarian, and relatively cheap. Reports on the web are generally positive. If you are into "beauty", it won't rank as highly, but I was looking for something we could use and not worry much about.

#19 ·
North Cove outfitters are running a paddle sports demo day at Cedar Lake in Chester, CT on May 5th & 6th. For $10 donation to the Camp Hazen YMCA, you can try out all different models in relative safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.