F.y.i. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Fluff

F.y.i.

STATE CAPITOL BRIEFS
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 5:28 PM

WIND FARM COMMENT PERIOD EXTENDED, STATE PERMITTING REMAINS

At the request of opponents of the proposed Nantucket Sound wind farm, the US Army Corps of Engineers on Tuesday announced it will tack 45 more days onto the comment period for its environmental review of the proposed project. With the extension, the 105-day comment period will now end on Feb. 24, 2005. Supporters of the project were buoyed by the Nov. 9 release of the Army Corpsí draft environmental impact statement on the project, which prompted project opponents to ask for a longer comment period. The extension was requested by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the stateís Executive Office of Environmental Affairs, the Cape Cod Commission and US Rep. William Delahunt (D-Quincy), who represents the area affected by the proposed project.

Cape Wind Associates hopes to address regional energy needs by installing and operating 130 offshore wind turbine generators in
the sound. Critics say the project is environmentally unfriendly and will compromise the soundís integrity and hurt tourism. In a statement, the Army Corps said the extension will allow local, state and federal permitting processes to be "synchronized as much as possible." Corps officials said decisions remain to be made at the state level, including the Massachusetts Energy Facilities Siting Board, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and the Massachusetts Coastal Zone Management Office. Public hearings are scheduled in Marthaís Vineyard (Dec. 6), West Yarmouth (Dec. 7), Nantucket (Dec. 8), and Cambridge (Dec. 16).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

PLEASE attend a hearing!

For those close to Cambridge, I propose a get together before or after the hearing.

I'd like to see wind power but on land, not inthe sound.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Anyone know wher eit is in cambridge?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:57 PM
President of CAC

Cambridge??? Well good to see we will have a "diverse" attendance. It will pass because it is for the greater good...not our own adjendas... I love the opponents... "bad for tourism". Do you really think the beach front property owners care one IOTA for the tourists. The few will not prevail here and their arguments against it are on a slippery slope... all self interest. It will not effect fishing at all, especially recreational fishing... just an eyesore... and for the proponents of land... where? in Lawrence or Brockton...poor neigborhood communities. If you knew how difficult it is for communities to put in title 3 housing there is no way any land will be made available, even Otis. I am running contrary to what many of you think here. Maybe some Jet skier will find it a problem..I certainly don't.... and the greater search for energy to make us more independant instead of hoping OPEC stays clean is something I would like to see. Alternate energy is the wave of the future... so get use to it.... and maybe we will have cleaner cars and air, etc. etc... with other forms of energy instead of the earth fuels. If you really have an issue with protecting the seashore.... put restriction on tankers and their spillage.... and maybe we should have electric outboard motors rather than dripping oil and gas in all our marinas... and cruising the sound with gas...sure it disapates....but no more a problem than a tower(s), with a wind mill on top.... pipes to transport the energy all electric power...And I feel really sorry for Jacky-O( her heirs and friends that is) and the rest of the celebrities on Nantucket and MV. Lets ask what an unemployed MV resident thinks about it when you tell them it will be more managable from them to live with new sources of energy. Personally, I think they should be place in the Cambridge Common.... no environmental impact there, no wild life , no fish...or the Nantucket Moors... or in Chatham... yes Chatham... right next to my place.... with a little inginuity I will have a platform built... a slid thing... and I will have Ocean view. Bottom line- Give me ONE reasonable cogent argument as to why they should not use that space.... and what is the damage that will be done...not guess work... proof of damage though any experimentation that was done....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.