Degree - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Steelhead Gone Wild

Degree

Hello I was wondering if any one out there could assist me in finding the degree that I want to study to get my commission in the Air Froce. I'm currently enlisted but want to get into the field of marine biology or entomology. If anyone here could give me further insight or has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks much

Scott A. Burgin USAF in Germany
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Swinger of Flies

Does the Air Force have any special requirements on crossing over....or do you just need a degree?

I am a few months away from an Army ETS myself. I was looking into a fisheries bio degree, but found that there really arent alot of jobs out there, and quite frankly.....I wouldnt be making anymore money than I am as as NCO right now. That was enough to cause me to change my degree plan entirely.

You're gonna be making pretty sweet money on the commissioned side in the AF....are you staying in for the long haul?

Either way, Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Steelhead Gone Wild

oh yeah the money is good but I'm just an E-3 and am looking towards the future. I want to get my commission so that over the long haul The future will be brighter
Old 11-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Kodiak Alaska

The good ol'USCG, I was about to bring that up. I'm a Marine Science Technician, Enlisted. It's a great community and service. If ya got questions let me know, I can point you in the right direction. Also, we accept prior service transfers without loss of rank (most times), tuition assistance pays 100% and tons of grants to cover the books. In the AF you should have that as well, go talk to your ESO (Education Service Officer (that's what we call them)). They get all giddy when your say your looking to go to school.

Good Luck!!!!

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Steelhead Gone Wild

Roger that sir. I just wanted some help on finding out a degree that would have something to do with the out doors and conservation yet still be current and interesting. Hard to do but thanks. Also I will be staying in the Airforce, Hopefully for next base i will pull Alaska.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Kodiak Alaska

I did 3 years on Kodiak Island, greatest time of my life. Elmadorf AFB in Anchorage is pretty nice, great exchange. I used to catch MAC flights up there.
Good Luck!

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Steelhead Gone Wild

Thumbs up The good times

I heard elmandorf is supposed to be the best of the two of them. I personally would take either one. Heck I'll make it work to my advantage. My current supervisor's father was stationed there for a few years and hr told me about all the fishing and hunting that he did. And he was still in high school preocupied by girls most of the time. I'm starting to stock up on flies right now. Eh I'm an optimist. Lol If anything I'll pull korea then Head to Alaska from there. Hopefully get married then extend for a few years. Whew that sounds like a plan.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Swinger of Flies

Hey Maniac......you couls also look at McChord AFB which is just a couple minutes of Fort Lewis where I call home. You can ALMOST chase Steelhead every month of the year in some rivers. You'd be located between Tacoma and Olympia, Washington.......which is a good spot to be as there is AWESOME fishing for 360 degrees all around you.

The only bad thing, that I've been told, about Alaska is that the fishing season is soo short and then everything freezes over. Plus.....there arent a whole lot of steelhead in alaska from my understanding.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Alaska's fishing season isn't too short. Salmon from early July to late September. Dolly's and trout whenever the rivers and lakes arn't frozen, there's enough of them that the Alaska F&G used to pay a head bounty for them. On Kodiak the steelheads were pretty plentiful, we had allot of regs to protect them though. Technically the only time you were susposed to target them was for a short season in Feb.
Remember that Anchorage and Kodiak are still pretty south, the freeze isn't that bad.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 11-25-2004, 01:54 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
unlimited ops

The shear number of opportunities in the service to experience the world, mature, and even get an education are there for the asking. As a cocky high school grad that didn't need to go to college (I was way too smart, I thought), I enlisted in the Air Force since my buddies went off to college, and I didn't have a clue on what I wanted to do.

After basic training, tech schools, etc. I ended up in Goose Bay, Labrador. Boy, that was an adventure and a hint of what the Air Force has offer when there is absolutely nothing to do 9 months out of the year. I soon realized that I wan't as smart as I though, and further education was a mandate. Yeah, the fishing was phenomenal, brook and lake trout, especially in the fishing camps. That was at a max three months out of the year. The other nine months, there was either poker, billiards, or the U. Of Maryland. I opted for the academics. In fact, after a 15-month tour, I had amassed 12 credit hours.

Later stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, I attended the U. Of Dayton. Long story short, I got a B.S. and decided to apply for OTS. I ended up with a disability that prevented consideration. Discharged, I received an M.S. degree funded by the G. I. Bill. Later in life, I retired early (58) from a company that gave me global responsibilities: read as a sidebar - fishing and hunting in S. Africa and Australia.

At the end of the day, if you don't take advantage of the opportunities available in the service to enhance your education, shame on you.

Simms

There are

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.