best SWF 7 or 8 rod available - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:28 AM

Good information guys, thanks.
To get back at Michael's question:
yes, they do take lures both at the surface as well as deep.
I expect them to be about the same as stripers but just smaller.
I do not know about the power of stripers but by the looks of it, it should
be powerfull too. I'd better check it out for myself once, fishing the Cape or
Monomoy. I am not well aquainted yet with seabass fishing, just did it a couple of times now, but it sure is addictive. For me it's a one and a half hour drive to the coast, and for Dutch standards that's quite far. Last time I was fishing with a bellyboat in a secluded area separated form the open sea by a dam of man made boulders. We fish close to the boulders. I felt the andrenaline running when I had a bass on and in the same time got soaked by a big wave thrashing on the boulders from the open sea. Big big fun! (well secured, life vest, etc). You have to paddle very firmly to stay at the same spot. After a couple of hours you feel like you did something. We just say that it's "not for sissies".
Fly fishing for seabass in Holland has in fact just started since a couple of years, given some exceptions. It's getting more popular now. If anyone wants to know more about the European seabass: here are some very nice sites: ukswff.com(I believe it's a sister forum of this one) myfishcasting.org/approach/index.html , zeebaars.nl
Adrian

(links disabled by admin)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 04:18 PM

I have casted the S3S and don't like it. THe action isn't as smooth as I would like. Has a stiff feeling. I am a big fan of the XP and Xi2. Also if you are looking to go a bit cheaper The G. Loomis GL3, and the Sage FLi are great rods.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:36 PM

prolly a little late, but what the heck. i was looking at a rod for redfish (8#/9') recently and chose the G.Loomise CrossCurrents against a Sage FLi, Sage Launch, TFO Pro, White River 270, and Sage DS2. i chose the Loomis because to me, it felt like it had good loading feel yet remained stout and powerful in the lower section of the rod to really throw out a line. the FLi was good but stiff and not as finess-y; a gun. the Launch, i don't remember much about except that it's somewhere in the middle. the TFO was an enigma to me. and the White River felt decent but lacked the quality of any of the others. the DS2 is discontinued, but it had a very loady feel and may have been a bit soft. all this may be a fuzzy mess because i tried these rods over the course of about a month before going with the Loomis plus i haven't slept in a very long time. nite.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:15 PM

Just wanted to tell you that I bought the TFO TiCrX 8 weight.
First try casts made and I am quite impressed. Effortless casting!
Still a bit too soon to give a definite judgement, but it feels very good.
As soon as I can test it further I will post my opinion.
Still thanks to all people who reacted.
AdrianV
Old 01-12-2005, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Albright since you mentioned you were interested in delicate presentations and long casts. I've been more than happy with mine!

Last edited by teflon_jones; 01-12-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.