Monster Cow - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Monster Cow

I just PM'ed Juro about this but thought I would tell you guy's about my best friend Al's monster fish he took today. I got a call this morning about 10:00 from a very excited fishin' maniac who was telling me he finally got the big one. I said what??? He says "I got the big one at last". I said how big and almost crapped my drawers when he told me how big it was.

64.25 Lbs.
55" in. Long
31" in. Girth

He and I have been fishing together for a long time and we always talked about the big one. Every trip out we would discuss the big one and how we might get her etc., then I caught my big one last year and he was beside himself, depressed that he was not there to witness it. He has not stopped talking about the 50 pounder this whole season, he has put in unbelieveable hours on the water in search of the 50. He said to me this morning when I met him to see the fish "Now I can get some sleep" and he promptly pulled the boat for the season . My fish was quite a large fish but this fish is again in another category, 4.5" longer than mine and 2" wider in girth adds up to 10 lbs. more weight. I took several digital pics for Al while at the marina and will post them up as soon as I get them emailed to me. He entered it into the dreamboat contest in the fisherman which will put him solidly in 1st in the bass category. He was still shaking when I met up with him and I remember feeling the same way last year, I tried to get him to hold the fish up higher for the picture and he couldn't even lift off the ground . Congratulations Al you finally made it into the 50 club and then some.

Mike M.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 01:45 PM

Old 11-19-2004, 01:48 PM
_

Awesome fish, congrats to Al!

But please don't leave us hanging -- let's hear some details! I'm not asking for any proprietary info, I'm just curious about the things that most anglers ask about when discussing a great catch like that.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2004, 02:13 PM

Well he should be the one to tell all but I know he is going to wimp out online so I'll give you what he gave me. Fish was caught off the CT. River mouth around 8-9 am. this morning, he was drifting live eels and he took it on the second drift. The fish was in about 20-25 ft. of water over a sand bottom with alot of humps and bumps. He has been fishing this spot that I showed him last year the last couple of weeks. He has taken some nice fish recently but nothing like this one, previous biggest there was 47" in the 35-40 lb. class. He said the fish nearly spooled him on the initial run I warned him about that. He did finally get the fish stopped and turned and when he got it to the boat he was understandably in shock. He told me he needs a bigger net . He is a very good fisherman who does alot of flyfishing with me as well, but like me he also still fishes conventionally when the situation calls for it. I really am tickled he finally got the big one, I could only be happier if I had caught the fish
Old 11-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

What a BEAST!!!!!

Congrats Al, and Mike your monster was no slouch either. You guys are setting the mark out there!
Old 11-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Fly chucker

That's not a bass, it's a baby whale.

Great catch.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Juro,
I am not doing anything secret or different than any of you guy's. Nor am I more passionate than any of you, as a matter of fact I think some of you are surpassing me on the LOONEY scale . Just doing something I/He loves to do and once in a while even a blind squirrel finds a nut Seriously though I think anyone can catch one of these big fish it is a matter of devotion and passion, you have to be passionate and devoted to the quarry to put in the mindless hours through aweful conditions to finally be rewarded. Being in the right place at the right time is strictly a matter of putting in your time, as you well know Juro. How many times have you taken people back to a spot that was on fire the day before only to find it quiet and fishless, then there are times when all of the hard work and effort pays off and you find a honey hole where the fish consistently hold and you can almost set your clock to them. I love this stuff and the constant head scratching is only another part of the fun/frustration, days like today for Al make it all seem worth the effort. It bothers me by the way to see sucjh a huge fish die at our hands but I comfort myself in the fact that I have released thousands of fish over the years and to take one trophy after so many years is not the worst thing in the world. This fish I am sure spawned many of the twinkies we have caught in the past and may have spawned one of your next 50's I hope. Which brings to mind a question I had for everyone. It is inevitable that some are going to poopoo the killing of my friends fish, I don't care what they think or say I believe if the shoe were on the other foot it would be a hugely different story and they would be hard pressed not to bring that very same fish home for the wall. But my question is this (unscientific of course) I have heard only a few 60's taken this year and a handful of 50's, how many fish of this size do you guy's think comprise the total number of bass in the wild??? 1%, 2%, 5%, 10% I would really like to know your opinions or science if any. I am just trying to quantify the taking of a large female like this out of the bionmass and how much impact it truly might have if any.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:08 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Mike, erh Capt Mike

Great fish, congrats to your friend Al. As far as taking a big fish like that once in a great while. I personally doubt that the fish had many years left based on it's size. I don't think that they grow much larger. So taking a senior citizen out prior to expiring naturally anyway wouldn't have the impact that taking two fish a day over the course of the season as others in the sport do. Most all of us here to my knowledge are primarily catch and release. I know I send most all the keepers back to spawn another day.

Greg.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:43 PM

If I could have hauled it over the gunnel. Let me think for a minute.......
Hell yes I'd keep it. What are the chances of a fish that size surviving after a 10 minute tug of war anyway?

Do stripers continue to spawn until the end or was this beast spent anyway?

I know they toss the brood stock salmon rainbows in the ponds after a time, I always assumed it was because they no longer produced eggs. Salmon run on a cycle like the herring don't they? Spawning aside, think of all the micro stripers Al saved, I'm sure they were on the menu for this giant.

Well before I ponder myself off the page -- Nice fish!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:56 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper
. . . This fish I am sure spawned many of the twinkies we have caught in the past . . .
This fish probably spawned some of the 30s, 40s and even 50s that are out there right now!

Thanks for the additional info Mike.

Q
Old 11-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike -

According to biologists text I've read and McClane's Standard Fishing Encyclopedia (the fishing bible) striped bass of that size and age no longer spawn. I'm sure some strains reproduce longer than 'expected' and others stop even younger, but as a rule that's what they say.

I would imagine that even if a behemoth cow or two keeps the light on a little longer at the Chesapeake hotel, the vast majority of reproduction is initiated by fish of much smaller size than that monster, and impact on striper population has more to do with regulations up and down the coast, habitat, and exploitation than the retention of a trophy once in a lifetime.

You should have Al send a scale sample to the Maryland DFW for analysis, they can tell you how old at least from it. From what I gather they do the most direct research on striped bass probably because of the Chesapeake Bay striper nursery in their backyard.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:31 PM

I seem to remember an article in one of the fish rags that covered the scales as a method of determining age. What I can remeber is that there are growth rings similar to a tree. If memory serves me the sample scale should be taken close to the lateral line below the dorsal fin.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:59 PM

Juro,
You are a man of high intelligence and I can always count on you for some very valuable info. That info is going to come in very handy when I encounter the "Why did he kill it crowd" who are already circling the wagons and less than 12 hours after the landing? Some of these professed conservation minded "fisherman" don't even have a clue and if they could see some of the horrorible pictures from the 60's of bass this size laying dead on the beach after a haul seining they would really curl up and cry. I am not condoning the killing of large bass and as you know I take great pains to keep from having that happen EVER, but there are special times when circumstances just overrule the norm and this is one of them. I just don't see many "real" fishermen releasing a fish this size after spending the kind of time that we do in search of the mythical beast. Thanks again for the uplifting info, I was not aware that the very old females were thought to be done with their spawning. This fish truly looked tired to me, whether or not that was the case or not????? But it has been around a long time and this may have been the last winter she could have put up with. We could go on and on but I just wanted to tell his story as he is kind of a shy dude who probably wouldn't tell anybody, the time and effort he put in is worth some attaboys and I finally got him to register for a website . I am going to try and see if I can get him to post something here so you all can ask him the questions he should be the one telling the story I am just the messenger.

Mike M.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Fly chucker

While I may not be a man of "high intelligence" ( ), I can confirm the fact that fish of this size are all but done with their breeding. I have read this on several occasions, in both magazines and fisheries texts.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:37 PM

Do either of you have any web related lnks to some of that material I would like to bone up on it if available.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.