Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonefish Gear List

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Bonefish Gear List (Ridiculous Clave)

Just thought I would start a thread to talk about what to bring...

The best polarized shades you can afford, cheap spare

Sunblock

Good flats hat, and spare

sun-gloves are not a bad idea

Fast-dry light colored long sleeve shirts with collar that can be raised and preferably buttoned, spares*

fast-wicking polypro tee shirts made for hot weather is desired, spares*

fast-wicking polypro underwear for wet-wading, spares*

fast-wicking zip-off leg flats pants in light colors, spares*

socks that work well inside wet-wading shoes

good wet-wading shoes that protect against coral cuts and resist filling with sand and muck

chest pack, sling or something to hold water and camera

rod, reel, line, leader, tippet, flies, etc.

travel tying kit

sandals for before/after

personal first aid kit

small collapsible water jug

bug juice

* fast wicking clothing is night and day different in terms of comfort, particularly when wet wading. Most noticeable of all is the performance underwear as compared to cotton.

Pls add anything you can think of.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Juro,

If you guys wind up going to Eleuthera sometime in April...we should all meet up at the Friday Night Fish-fry in Govenor's harbour to exchange notes.

Here's a few Items you should include in your list...

- portable stripping basket for fishing ocean side beaches...keeps line out of the algae and waves.

- wading caddy (that's what I call it anyways). It's an innertube or boogie board that you tow along as you wade a flat. You can keep extra gear/water/camera/lunch/beer on it. Nothing like having an extra rod rigged and ready in case you cross paths with a big Cuda, Mutton Snapper, Jack or Lemon shark. Makes it real easy to change-up and take up virtually no extra space in your baggage.

- Snack-bar condiments...ie) small single serving packages of peanut butter, jams, jellies, dipping sauces, mustard, relish, ketchup etc. I get mine from the cafeteria at work for free...pocket a few each day in the weeks prior to a trip. Believe it or not, these save major expenses as opposed to having to buy jars and bottles of each to stock the larder.

- A few packages of "boil and serve type" dried pasta's are cheap and make for a quick good meal.

- Other stuff like coffee, powdered creamer (if you like that), sugar or substitues).

- Oh yeah...an inflatable kayak...grin!

If I wasn't already going, I'd jump!

#3 ·
Old Army Medic

Try and get your hands on some alcohol prep pads....very handy (per 1st aid kit above post).......neosporin antibiotic...small tube.....a few water proof bandages..
3 or 4 aspirin.....and of course some T-paper.....much better than palm branches or corn cobs :hihi:

#4 ·
On to Ammo.....

For those of us not so edumucated on bonefish ammo (Namely Myself), planning on this week long super Bahamian Shin Dig

What would be a good quiver of flies to have.

I am anticipating loading up one, good box that will fit in a shirt pocket for this adventure. (I've never fished like this before, so I need some assistance from the pro's).

If there is potential for catching other species besides Bones, some direction for those guys as well would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jay

#6 ·
A couple of other items...

Hello,

Having just returned from South Andros this week, I agree with all of the previously mentioned items. I can also add one item to the list that I am glad I brought and one that I wish I'd brought.

First, I am glad I brought my rain jacket. We didn't have rain any day I was there, but I still got soaked every morning on the way to the flats and every afternoon we returned...and when it gets rough, you'll be especially glad you brought it! I would say this is a "must have".

Second, I wish I brought some neoprene / waterproof socks. Something like SealSkinz, etc. I did a fair amount of wading on this trip and anything that can keep sand/gravel out of your wading boots would be worth bringing. I tried using tube socks and found that they don't dry out that fast and they don't really keep anything out.

I would have to especially agree to bring some sandels and maybe a very small amount of detergent. Bonefish "slime" is very hard to get out of your scrubs when it gets on you. It dries with a very heavy, flaky film. Sun gloves are a must have also, in addition to a hat that covers the tops of your ears...very painful to get burned there!

Hope that helps, good luck!

Tom

#7 ·
More Sun protection

I found long sleeved flats shirts and gloves a must too for sun protection. A handkerchief was very helpful for my exposed neck also to help stop the sun burn appearing, Especially around the summer months. If you just wore wading shoes and and some shorts despite the sunblock you would likely be burnt to a crisp without Long pants. I think they are a must for sunny weather wading, The water usually washed off the sunblock in pretty short order.

Drink tons of water, at least 1/2 your body weight in FL OZ, try to limit the alcohol consumption or that adds to the dehydration and possibility of getting dehydrated.

Tight lines,
Greg

#9 ·
Good stuff!

Now starting from the bottom up...

the shoes should
  • provide adequate arch support
  • prevent silt from entering
  • protect against coral
  • defend against stingray spines
  • ideally not have an obnoxious color (for fish)

In addition, sandals for casual time after fishing is a good idea.

Socks do help keep silt out if the shoes are good.

#11 ·
Gatorade does come in powder form, and according to Hylena there is a grocery store that is sparse I am sure. Gallon jugs of drinking water are available and with full refrigeration units we can boil and chill as much as we need. (put collapsible camp jug on list)

I plan on bringing powdered drink, rice pilaf (although carribean peas and rice should be plentiful), power bars, pasta, herbs / spices, etc. Since there is no need for waders and not much is needed in the way of clothing I should have plenty of room when compared to a striper or steelhead trip. Each one of these items we bring takes care of multiple people, for instance a box of pasta. If we all put some stuff into the bag, we will cut the grocery bill dramatically before we even step on bonefish country soil.

Don't forget there are at least three bonefish lodges with a tourist-grade restaurants nearby, I'm sure they welcome guest diners and will probably carry common western items in their gift shop like gatorade. We should plan on a Wednesday dinner and a last night formal dinner just to break things up. (I will call to make sure that will work out)

I find it difficult to imagine that a group of anglers would not rustle up some grouper or make a deal with local fishermen, and the $20 license entitles one to 6 lobsters a day. I think it would be hilarious to give one team hunt duty each day to come up with a main course. Our own little reality show :hihi:

What we found out in Exuma (although far more populated) is that the locals have to eat, and they all don't cook their own. We found that at the roadside eateries where most locals were stopping, the nightly grilled specials were about $6 and delicious - chicken, ribs, grouper, etc. In a full kitchen unit we never cooked even once. We might not get that lucky here but again when compared to a typical camping trip it looks lavish to me.

I have attended many a Forum event, and one thing they all have in common - there is a feast involved and eating is never one of the low points :cool:

#12 ·
Clothing list

When I head south I usually wear most of what I bring on my back and then dress down when it gets warmer and carry those in a plastic bag that is packed. This leaves room for food stuff in the minimal bags which are carried on board. All essential items ALLOWED (hooks are not!) should be in the on board bags. Carry your rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bahamas Air will lose them! And they don't really care if you ever get them back!!!!!!! I think you'll find a few second hand rods at the pawn broker in Nassau.

Lastly, if you need to purchase flats clothing don't scimp! Look into the 'bug off' clothing line by one of our nonsponsors. Everyone I've spoken with that's been to the Acklins swore at the mosquitoes. This will allow you to use a minimal amount of deet which should also be on the "Must Have List".

Phil

#13 ·
Read a little of Vletas' book last night. :cool: :eek: :smokin:

Gonna be an amazing trip!

I've only flown Bahamasair twice, no incidents with checked rods. Also met up with Neal Brown and Kent Jackson at Nassau coming from Deadmans' Cay via Bahamasair, didn't hear of anything missing.

I am bringing an assortment and will check the rod case, however I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to carry on the 5pc 8wt since it's such a tiny little package. I will bring at least one spare in case someone else is not as fortunate.

#14 ·
Bahamasair

I strongly suggest that your carry-on luggage include everything that you need to fish with, personal toiletries, and a change of clothing.

Baggage that doesn't make the trip over is based strictly upon weight, and it is highly probably that one or several pieces will not make the first trip over with your group. The winner of the lost luggage lottery will spend several days near a phone and regularly meeting the ferry to see if the luggage made it over as promised. Knowing the "800" phone numbers for the airlines and local ferry phone number will be a plus. Also, don't fly out of Miami if you can avoid it.

When looking at the contents of your carry-on, ask yourself what is the minimum esstential you will need for the first three days. Based upon my experience since 1982, that's my .02 cents worth. Wish I was going with y'all as your about to have a blast.

#15 ·
Lots of good stuff on the list to which I would add:

- Imodium - I find that if I have I don't need it :D

- wire tippet for barracuda

- hook sharpener

I would be a defininite for this one but Christmas Island is calling me back next year and that's a two week trip minimum.

Now if I could just land a job that pays good $$$ with more than the standard 15 paid days vac. I would be there in a flash :smokin:

#16 ·
In the event we opt for the more ridiculous, the Nassau overnight is the opportunity for grocery shopping for the week. Since we are traveling inter-island on the other side of customs, anything we pick up at the grocery store in Nassau can come with us on the air-conditioned flight with no restrictions. This could include libations although there are bars at Pittstown Point and several restaurants in Landrail Point and we can buy our own Kaliks to keep cold in the cottage fridges.

Another alternative is to order fresh groceries for delivery to the destination by mail boat from Nassau in advance. Hylena offered to arrange all this and will put the food into the refrigerator when it arrives if we wish, very convenient. With $100 per head budget this should be more than we could need if we opt for this.

My plan would be:

Dry goods from the US - power bars, drink mixes, pilaf, pasta, spices, etc;
Fresh stuff from Nassau - veggies, lettuce, onions, fruit, etc;
Water and local seafood from the destination - grouper, wahoo, lobster tail, etc;

I will be getting a Bahamas license in Nassau for the purposes of keeping my 6 lobster per day.

We should plan on an island social on Tuesday and Friday night (leaving Sat AM) over at Pittstown or take the ferry over to Acklins ($4) and eat at the Acklins Lodge restaurant one day to break up the cooking duties.

It's entirely possible that we find a $6 per plate BBQ joint like Eddie and I did in Exuma that replaces all need for cooking, but I do want to broil split lobster tails and a grouper filet for two of the nights while there, eat at the local bonefish lodges for two other nights, leaving only three nights open for other options.

One of them could be a can of beef stew and toast for me, just like at home when the family is at the mall.

Another fun thing would be to put $20 into the bluewater lottery, and 2-3 winners will get to go out with a local charter for wahoo. The rest of us will have to hear the fish stories but we will eat like kings for the week. One wahoo would more than fill the missing dinners with primo broiled filet, we might not even be able to finish it.

like our own freakin reality show :chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.