Redington reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2001, 02:58 PM
Recent Member

Redington reels

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Redington large arbor reels, and if so what their impressions were. I've both heard and read pos. and negative reviews, but a majority of them were second hand reports. I know that there are plenty of decent reels out there, but I have an opportunity to purchase the Redington at a substantially reduced price. Just want to know if it's going to come back to haunt me. Thanks in advance, Ken K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2001, 09:06 AM

RE:Redington reels

Ken, I think if you use the search function (the little magnifying glass button above) you'll probably find a ton of info on the Redingtons. I have a 9/10AL that I love. The early reels had a bit of a problem with the clicker screws backing out(very easy to fix), but that's been fixed and they're overall great reels for the money. I've tested mine on big Albies down at Cape Lookout in NC and it performed great.

Matt
Old 03-16-2001, 02:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You get a lot for your money with Redington and they stand behind their customers 110%.

For large arbor reels, there are several options in that price bracket... the Redington LA and the new RS2, Teton / Tioga LA, Battenkill LA, to name a few without getting into re-brands.

The next level up is now the Ross Canyon ($335), for freshwater the Waterworks ULA series and LightSpeed reels take arbor size to it's full potential, Bauer M series is in this bracket, etc.

Beyond that are what I call the 'heirloom' reels - upwards of $500 and more.

I think what you get for the extra $100 bucks to get to the mid-level is worth it if you got it handy. Not everyone would agree with me on that, but that's how I buy.

<font size="1"><i>(This is only a discussion of LA style reels - many more choices in std arbor)</font><!--1--></i>
Old 03-16-2001, 04:37 PM

FOr what it's worth, I gave a Reddington 9/10 AL a pounding last season from boat and shore and I am duly impressed with this reel. It was $185 at the time and I don't think it can be beat for the $$$. I have had no corrsion problems and the drag is smooth. Time will tell more about its durability, but with the lifetime warranty you can't really go wrong...

Granted, I would love to have a Bauer, but for northeast applications if $$$ is an issue I'd rather have a Reddington and put the extra dough into a nicer rod (if I were buying a package).
Old 03-16-2001, 08:08 PM

<a href="http://www.flyfishingreview.com/reviews/reels/" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.flyfishingreview.com/reviews/reels/</a><!--auto-->
Old 03-18-2001, 10:41 AM
Recent Member

Thanks for everyone's input on the Redington LA. I think I'm going to go ahead and pick one up for this season. After toying around with one, I find it too hard to resist. Hopefully I will be able to give it a positive review after some field testing this spring. Thanks again, Ken K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.