Sparkey's Law? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Chief of E.P.

Sparkey's Law?

I just saw that a local Washington guide put up a bunch of pictures from his trips this fall on a famous Washington/Oregon river. Many of these pictures show glory shots where the fish, complete with intact adipose, is held three feet out of the water.

Has Sparkey's law been repealed or were all these pics from the Oregon portion of said river?

For those that don't know, Sparkey's law was recently passed to forbid removal from the water of wild fish with an intact adipose fin in those fisheries that required wild anadromous fish release.

Chief
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Make it a double!

Maybe some are above the law.

Click here for cool art from the NW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Jolly Buddha

Itís amazing that he would do this but he done stuff like this before!
He him self holding fish and his son and side kick!

I saw him over there and that Coho pic HMMM!

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:45 PM

I too quickly concluded who this was and checked out the photos. Hum....did not know he was licensed to guide in Orygun. Oh well, nobody will notice.

William
Old 11-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
There is a prominent outfitter a certain Blue Ribbon trout stream in the State that has been posting pictures of his clients' hero shots of that rivers threatened and off limits steelhead for a couple months now.

He notes that the pictures were taken "yesterday" or "this week" and proclaims them to be wild steelhead as well.

Oh well...many in our community believe that because they fish with a flyrod they are above the law, ethics etc. etc. etc.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 PM
LBFF Mojo

Umm can't we just send the pics of violations like both of the above to the WDFW? Seem self implicating...no?

-sean
Old 11-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Jolly Buddha

He also was promoting fishing on a closed run of fish last month.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:48 AM

I found another E. Washington Flyshop/Outfitter who has posted NUMEROUS photos of wild Klick steelhead taken completely out of the water.

William
Old 11-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Let's be a little reasonable about this.

You can not expect the many outfitters/shops/guides out their to totally revamp their websites over night so that the pictures that are presented represent the current law. Most of these folks rely on their websites as their main source of advertisement and a quality website is must for a successful business.

However, those that are blatantly violating the law and parading around hero shots taken this year of wild steelhead that are not be handled according to the law should be dealt with (it is obvious to see who is doing such a thing). In many cases, it isn't all the difficult to determine what pictures were taken this year and which ones are from past years (heck, many photos on some of these sites are recycled every year). It is also best, I believe, to give the benefit of the doubt to those that do not appear to be parading around current photos that do not abide by the law but yet, still have older photos on their site.

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 11-17-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I am not a fan of this law at all. I think that it is hard to enforce in the least and at its worst it is being used to disparage certain guides or individuals that donít abide by the letter of the law. I would assume that the main purpose of this law is to protect the fish from being mishandled. I seriously doubt that these guides are mishandling these fish and suspect the fish are only out of the water for the short time it takes to snap a picture. I would think that the effort put forth to malign these guides and individuals would be better used to go after those that really do harm the fish with poor release techniques. You can see these folks everyday on the rivers.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Chief of E.P.

Kerry,

I agree that efforts should also be directed at those who are blatently harming fish and I have also felt the law is a feel good measure at best but it is still the law and until repealed, it represents a limit on acceptable behavior in the sport. The person in question hosts a widely read website and often writes about his conservation ethic. I don't think it unreasonable to expect him (or any of us) to both abide by the law and model acceptable behavior.

In my mind this is little different than rules that forbid the keeping of hatchery fish caught during the spring catch & release season. While I would argue that these fish need to be removed from the river no matter when they are caught, if I keep one I am breaking the law and setting a bad example for other anglers.

sinktip
Old 11-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Sinktip

I agree that we all should obey the laws even if we don't agree with the law.

I have no real opinion about the guide in question except maybe a mild complaint about schools. In fact the few times I have met this guide on the river he has been polite and respected my water to point of asking how he and his clients should float by me. He only had 2 on that occaision.

He just doesn't matter that much to me and I think my time will be better spent letting the others I see know how a fish should be handled. If I can do so safely. I really don't care if others remove the fish from the water for a picture if that is what they wanto do. I do care that they do so in a manner that does the least amount of harm to the fish.

Personally, I rarely take fish pictures of anykind in the water or out. I used to but over time I just don't see the need anymore.

Peace
Old 11-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Chief of E.P.

Kerry,

I am with you on the pics. As for the guide, he has always been respectful to me on the water as well. It just irks me about the pics.

tip
Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 PM

typical

Given the history of unethical, impolite and downright jackassed behavior... I wasn't surpised to see the pics, and i believe that they were taken in Wa.

Another reason to avoid these water slappin' sea donkeys like the plague that they are.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM

i have found pics from at least 3 different prominent guides/outfitters doing the same thing. While i dont agree with it, and believe they also need to respect the law, i don't think you can single out any single guide on this issue. As far as the guide KerryS is reffering to goes, I am only 20, and I took a guide trip with that guide when I was 16. At the time, I was trying to teach myself to fish for steelhead and with parents and relatives who did not fish, I was very frustrated and this guide was the only one I had heard of. The trip went fine, and he seemed like a great guy. Since then I have heard a huge load of stuff talked about him and yet never any specific reasons why people dont like him except for his schools. I guess being a relative newbie to the game, I will pass judgement, but if anyone wants to PM or email me with their take on this guide, and SPECIFICALLY why they have that take, I am all ears. I do agree with all of the posts above though that nobody should be above the law. thanks.
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.