Rhody Yak Attack - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 01:05 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Rhody Yak Attack

I have been down to South county watching the lion's share of fish pass by from shore well out of casting range. It seems the little ones are the ones closest to shore based on what is being caught. The conditions have improved with the warmer weather and the winds finally taking a break that it's perfect conditions for fishing from a Kayak.

I'm planning on fishing from my Kayak this friday after work and would enjoy some company. I'm thinking of launching from watch hill or the backside of Napatree depending on the surf. Weekapaug is also a possibility depending on the surf conditions.

So if you have a Kayak and have the chance to join me. Come on down Friday night. I'll probably go out wednesday night too in CT, conditions are too nice not to go fish. Lots of fish, warmer weather and little to no winds

Besides who is going to take a picture of me either catching some nice stripers or rolling my yak and going for a swim?

Tight Lines,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Greg I think you'll do well if you can punch out through the surf and get past the breakers. I did this a few years back and had a blast. OK, so I swamped the yak getting through the surf but that's why you've got a pump right
Probably not an issue for you SOT guys anyway. I can't make it this but a bit of advice based on my limited paddling in RI.
The back side of Napatree is great paddling but once you round the corner and there is any tide against wind situation Ouch, wouldn't want to be out there.
Weekapaug - I haven't run the outflow but I have paddled East around the corner and there's a rip you can get stuck in over there but the fishing was dandy. I think your right on the money though - get a 1/4 mile offshore and it's a different game.

Don't discount trolling a fly, it's a great way to find the fish. You can't cast while paddling but you can drag a line.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:24 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the words of wisdom and tips. I am quite sensitive to the currents and wind being new to Kayaking. I plan on keeping pretty close to shore till I'm comfortable with conditions and my capabilities. I'll have my waterproof VHF just in case I get blown out to Sugar reef. I plan on having an anchor for staying put if needed too.

Wish you could make it, conditions appear to be as good as it gets for November.

Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 11-16-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Flats Rat

Greg

I have to work in Boston Friday but could get out this w/e for a fling?

The weather sure looks better than we';ve had this past few weeks.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:22 PM
resigned

Greg. You can launch near the Weekapaug bridge on the North side and paddle out through the jetty if the surf is down. Tide might be a struggle though. Lots of activity this morning.

Phil
Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Adrian,

If your'e not able to make it friday night, lets shoot for sunday. I was thinking if you were driving you might make a detour with your yak. But I can imagine parking with it in Boston doesn't sound like a great idea.

Phil, thanks for suggestion on a launch site, If the weather holds, I 'm thinking the seas will be calm enough for even a novice to do a surf launch. I have a couple of spots now to check out in the area. Depending where on the tide I get there dealing with flood tide conditions in the breachway especially on the outgoing would be too much current for my comfort level.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Flats Rat

I did think about hauling the Yak up on Friday but not sure what time I'll be getting away. I might fish South Co. Friday night / Sat a.m.

Sunday sounds good for a yak attack!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Adrian,

I 'm not certain on an exact time either at this point, But the early the better for maximum fishing time. I'll be out there till the wee hours so you can give me a shout on the cell phone as your heading out of boston to get an update of conditions and where I'm fishing if your so inclined.

Greg.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 PM

Greg,

Just PM'ed You!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
Greg. You can launch near the Weekapaug bridge on the North side and paddle out through the jetty if the surf is down. Tide might be a struggle though. Lots of activity this morning.

Phil

Tip**Hug tight to either side and the current is drastically reduced. You could ask Roop about a certain paddle against the outgoing tide in Chatham where his arms were moving but the yak certainly wasn't!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the tip, being a newbie I can use all you got. Wish you could make it.

I can imagine what the outgoing flood would be like off the flats of monomoy having waded there during those conditions. Frankly I think that is probably what did those two girls in who were Kayaking out there. Glad the Roopster made it OK. Strong outgoing currents plus a offshore breeze spells big trouble. An anchor would be nice to at least stay put till the slack or incoming tide or worst case your tow boat arrives .

Greggo, PM received and reply sent. Ditto -J.

Greg.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Couple notes:

Launches at Charlestown, Quonny and Ninigret would permit safe inside exploration by yak on the incoming or full tides. I am sure some fish are pushing inside the breachways if there is a lot of bait.

If all the action is out front, then I guess Weekapaug breach is an option but if trying to land on the beach at all watch the surfline, it's a bear in a yak.

Another option is to launch on the inside at Napatree and paddle around the end. Most likely fish and bait will wander around to the inside there and the yakking is much safer, launching is pleasant, etc. If the surf is down you can venture out front as well. All bets are off for a strong north component in the wind though.

Man I would love to sneak out but have a work weekend so will have to settle for some spey casting practice around the neighborhood in off hours instead.

Good luck, and kudos for keeping the torch burning in this long fall season.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:55 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Juro,

Thanks for the notes, lots of options available with the salt water ponds around there. Wish you could make it, perhaps another time.

Greg.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:45 PM

Hit Rhody today and the all the breachways I hit were void of any bait. Everyone catching - and I wasn't one of them was fishing the beaches. Also talk to a few guys in boats as they ran in or out of Quonny, and they said guys in the boats were hitting them good - could see the boat about 1/2 mile of so out.

Saw a few schoolies caught at Charlestown Beach - but nothing hit my fly. Still big fish there, according to some of the locals I shot the breeze with - just not today for me.

TL,

Dave
Old 11-20-2004, 07:55 AM
resigned

Sean M. and I hit all our spots from Watch Hill to Fresh Pond Rock on East Beach near Quonny. Thanks again Sean for the company and the ride in your new beach buggy!
Birds were VERY scarce as were the fish. We left the beaches at around 2:30 pm after searching everywhere we could. Earlier in the AM I saw a huge flock of Gannets about a mile offshore flying west. They disappeared when I headed back to Weekapaug to perhaps intercept them and they all but disappeared. My guess is they headed out to the rips between Block and Montauk. It was a drop dead georgous day though and a great time to be outdoors. I think it's time to start hitting the Ct. beaches. Any reports in Ct.?

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.