Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help! Did I make a mistake?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
Im trying to buy my boyfriend a fly rod. He wants something for small waters. He was admiring this 3 wt 7 foot a few months ago, but it was only a 2 piece and he wants one he can backpack in easy. I recently got myself into a deal with someone for an Orvis Trout Bum, 4 wt 7 foot 4 piece full flex. Everyone I talk to sais this is great, but Im afraid the 4 wt as opposed to the 3 wt is no good. Its a good deal for a rod that sells at 375. He only has one other rod, and isn't real professional or anything, but takes it seriously. Any advice? Im worried! :eek:

darkV

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry because there really is very little difference between a 3 wt and a 4 wt. The 4 wt is able to cast slightly larger flies easier, but the difference is a splitting hairs type of difference. One really has to have a two line wt difference for it to matter much. Also, the Orvis rod you bought is a fairly full-flexing, "slower" rod that could be used with a 3 wt line - doing so will make the rod feel "faster" and it won't bend all the way to the cork as easily. It will still be very fishable though whether loaded with a 4 wt or a 3 wt line. Also, small streams are not places where a person needs to make 50'+ casts and any good quality 3 or 4 wt would be just fine.

#7 ·
Probably a 3wt 7' (and change) LL series Sage, a rod I enjoyed fishing for trout myself particularly because of it's great roll casting abilities in tight cover.

Although I am not familiar with the Orvis model the full-flex designation would make it a likely match with the action he liked.

I hope he likes it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.